Almunia playing for england

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Judge » Tue May 05, 2009 4:31 pm

john craig wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:
john craig wrote:Not that different from John Barnes playing for England when he is Jamaican is it?  Apart from the fact Almunia has left it until he's 31 to decide he's English :laugh:

I don't think it will happen.  Di Canio and Cudicini have been in similar situations in the past but England never approached them, so I can't see it happening now.  On top of that, is Almunia really a better keeper than what they have?  I don't think so.  If Almunia was a top rate keeper then England might do well to consider it, because their keepers are average at best, but imo so is Almunia.

A bit diffrent than Barnes situation, i would say. Jamaica is a comenwealth nation for a start, and John Barnes moved to England as a teenager so has a bit more conection to being English. Almunia on the other hand is only in England because of football, and wants to play for them for proffesional glory, he has no connection to the nation what so ever. If his kids are born here and want to play for the national team fair enough but Almunia is about as English as Fabregas or Hyypia!

:laugh:

Of course it's not the same situation, hence the use of  :laugh: in my previous post.

It's a bit of a joke if Almunia plays for England imo.

commonwealth you say :D. well we trounced the spaniards when they sent that armada, so we own them  :D

therefore, he should be allowed to play
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 05, 2009 9:00 pm

No need to remember auld wars Judge! :D

Now we're friends, if you want our 14th best Keeper, and players like Arteta, we lend it to you for free :laugh:
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed May 06, 2009 1:33 am

Aluminia shouldn't play for England for two obvious reasons. Firstly because he isn't English, and secondly because he's not a particularly good goalkeeper. Football is a very simple game when you distill it down and take out all the nonsense.

The best goalkeeper in England who is English ought to be in the England team as of now. Unfortunately, he isn't particularly good either, but I suspect he will improve and become a top class one. Step forward Robert Greene and grab yourself 70 caps or something.

The second best is probably that young bloke who is Man Utd's reserves who used to play for Watford. He'll no doubt be their first choice next season and once the media have compiled his best stops onto a DVD and had a collective w@nkfest over his boyish looks, we'll be asked to forget about the fact that he plays behind an excellent defence, and just remember that he has had lots of clean sheets (unlike the press who talk about him).

Anyway, to cut a long story short he'll be the next England goalie until we realise that Robert Greene was actually better all along.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed May 06, 2009 3:35 am

bavlondon wrote:Rooney should have been really playing for Ireland too.

If he DID play for Ireland, this myth that he's some wonder-player would never have been dreamed up.

He's the most overrated shock of sh*te I have ever seen waddle on a football field.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed May 06, 2009 9:42 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:

If he DID play for Ireland, this myth that he's some wonder-player would never have been dreamed up.

He's the most overrated shock of sh*te I have ever seen waddle on a football field.

Scum/former bitter aside I think that's going over the top a bit Lando. If he was playing for Liverpool i'm sure people wouldn't be saying that. He has some issues with his attitude I admit that.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Thu May 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:

:D  even though i dont agree it was well funny..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 08, 2009 12:32 am

I never supported jack charlton playing english or scottish players for ireland. i prefer our currnet team of players that are not that good but are irish.

international football should be about your nationality. english footballers are not that good at the moment but you shouldn't have foreigners in your team.

Come on, would bobby moore or duncan edwards want alumnia behind him?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri May 08, 2009 5:45 am

no chance, no way, he shouldnt be in the squad. Is he much better than whats available? IMO he isnt. If hes got any sense anyway he wouldnt join the circus
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Owzat » Sat May 09, 2009 10:49 am

No thankyou Almunia. You're not English, we're not that desperate for keepers. If you were a fantastic, world class (young) player then maybe, but you're not much better than what we have already. And if you were fantastic, world class player then you would be playing for your country of birth.

We have Foster, Robinson, Carson, Green and others who Almunia isn't way better than. And we've failed to qualify for ONE competition since 1994, it is not as if he will make us favourites or improve our chances. I'm against using foreigners who qualify to play for us, maybe I might make an exception if a Kaka, Pele, Maradona or player of that quality wanted to play for us, but the odds are they would already be established internationals.

He could have done a bit more to stop the first two manc goals in the 2nd leg, maybe if he'd kept them out, and Arsenal in it, then I might think he was worth a punt. But he's not done anything that begs for him to be included, nothing that stands him out from the crowd.

Now if PEPE REINA qualified for England that might be a different matter entirely..........
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion