4%
QUEIROZ
No votes
OTHER
3%

Total votes : 102

Postby Stan Laurel » Thu May 27, 2004 5:58 pm

stmichael wrote:
columbia wrote:Someone mentioned Aimar and ayala. If those two players joined are team would look instantly so much better.

have you seen the pair of them. they're two of th eugliest players i've ever seen! :p  :D

so seriously, aimar would be a dream ticket. ayala is a complete bruiser. pure physical presence and strength but not sure about his pace. we need a pacey player at the back.

Yes, that's right. Ayala is one of best centre back in the world and is hard man too, so he can snarl at any players if he join Liverpool. Ayala does remind me of Norman Hunter. And he is not afraid of anyone, so he is excellent man marking and very solid defence too, but you are right that we need a pacey centre defender, so do you know anyone of pacey centre back are good enough to play for Liverpool?

What can I say about Aimar, he is absolutely class player but havn't seen much of him this season.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Poolinc. » Thu May 27, 2004 7:00 pm

Benitez has announced today that Liverpool fc have been in contact with his agent. He also said today (contrary to what else he has said of late!) that Liverpool are a great club, and the sort that any coach would love to manage..
All bets are off... It's Benitez (I still would have preferred O'Neill, now the Mancs will get him)
Poolinc.

Postby macca7 » Thu May 27, 2004 9:06 pm

No-one is mentioning the great marcello lippi!
Ex-Juve coach who is currently out of job.
At Juve he never spent big money, but he still guided Juve to champions league glory and an amazing other three finals.
Not to mention three italian league titles.
Good pedigree eh?
macca7

Postby stmichael » Thu May 27, 2004 9:07 pm

one of lippi's best friends is ferguson so there's no chance of that ever happening. i heard he was going for the italian job after euro 2004 anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Thu May 27, 2004 11:01 pm

It's crazy to think that the bookies have Strachan in the running but there has been no mention of Lippi or Hitzfield.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scouse10 » Thu May 27, 2004 11:05 pm

I want Mourinho but cant see it happening.

Looks Like Benitez In my opinion.
Its Our Year Next Year!, Maybe.
Scouse10

Postby swiss_kopite » Fri May 28, 2004 10:17 am

macca7 wrote:No-one is mentioning the great marcello lippi!
Ex-Juve coach who is currently out of job.
At Juve he never spent big money, but he still guided Juve to champions league glory and an amazing other three finals.
Not to mention three italian league titles.
Good pedigree eh?

imo lippi isn't the right person to be LFC manager! juve's performance while he was in charge was ok, but there were several decisions i couldn't agree plus tactically he doesn't fit to anfield:

1. henry: lippi let him go for (compared to his value today ...) almost nothing. a great manager would have shown him the respect he deserved already then.

2. salaries (eg del piero): don't get me wrong, he's pure class, but imo it isn't good to 'divide' a team in two parts: stars and nobodys! as seen in madrid this season, you just don't get a good and successful team like that.

3. you said he never spent big money!?! what about buffon, nedved, thuram? do you think they joined juve just for nothing but a nice handshake. first there was big money spent for the transfer, and i can't even imagine how much they earn a year. no wonder many (or almost every ) italian teams have financial problems!!

4. lippi likes defensive football! it's not typical 'catennaccio' but you can't compare his tactical style to what i think is a modern offensive (and therefore attractive) football.

i could add some more but i think you can see (at least i hope so ...) what i mean!
swiss_kopite

Postby simic_ie » Fri May 28, 2004 11:35 am

If Benitez isn't Liverpool manager next season I will be extremely surprised... even when he was denying he was leaving Valencia the teams he mentioned were Inter, Real and Barca..... he never said anything about Liverpool, suprising considering thats where most of the speculation is coming from.

While Benitez may not have been my first choice as Liverpool manager, he may prove to be the best
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri May 28, 2004 7:56 pm

Benitez is discussing a new contract with Valencia today.Why would he do that if he had agreed to join Liverpool?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mctrigger » Fri May 28, 2004 8:31 pm

SKY SPORTS NEWS HAS JUST ANNOUNCED ITS CURBISHLEY!!

OH ******
mctrigger

Postby greenred » Fri May 28, 2004 9:56 pm

Benitez cool on Liverpool
By Sam Wallace
(Filed: 28/05/2004)
Telegraph

Valencia manager Rafael Benitez has played down speculation that he will be Gerard Houllier's successor at Liverpool and admitted that he is in negotiations to sign a two-year deal with the Spanish champions.

As well as Charlton's Alan Curbishley, Benitez is one of the managers being considered by Liverpool's board, but in an interview in Spain yesterday he appeared to be using the interest from Merseyside as a negotiating tool in securing an improved deal with Valencia.

There will be no announcement on a new manager until chief executive Rick Parry returns from a 10-day holiday in Barbados.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Fri May 28, 2004 9:59 pm

mctrigger wrote:SKY SPORTS NEWS HAS JUST ANNOUNCED ITS CURBISHLEY!!

OH ******

Don't you start!!!!!!! Just behave yourself, there a good boy!!
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Fri May 28, 2004 10:07 pm

Which by this time a lot of potential talent will have been snapped up!..You would think that something as important as naming our next manager would take prefrence over a holiday? surely getting the guy settled in and familiarising himself with LFC would be the first priority?. by the time we appoint this guy euro 2004 will be over before he will have a chance to assess anyone.  :(
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon May 31, 2004 1:11 pm

If we lose out on our chosen manager because of Parrys holiday then the guy should be sacked.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon May 31, 2004 1:45 pm

David Plummer
Monday May 31, 2004
The Guardian

Alan Curbishley has not had a "secret meeting" with Liverpool, Rafael Benítez is not on the way to Anfield and Kenny Dalglish can carry on honing his golf game. Liverpool's chief executive Rick Parry claims he has not yet approached anyone to replace Gérard Houllier.
While the press has been parading a queue of candidates for the manager's job - and while Valencia have offered Benítez a new contract and Chelsea have closed in on Jose Mourinho - Parry has been holidaying in the Caribbean. "We can't rush into making the wrong appointment," he told BBC Radio 5 from Barbados.

"We did not want any of the muddying of the waters or the indignity of clandestine talks taking place while Gérard was still around, so we start now. One of the advantages of spending a few days away is that I get a clear head and perhaps a bit of time away from the phone to think it through."

Reports that he had offered Benítez a four-year contract were false, he claimed. Asked if anyone had been "sounded out" for the job, he maintained: "Not at all. It's one step at a time and the process starts now."

He dismissed reports that he had approached Curbishley after Charlton's 1-0 win at Liverpool on April 12. "That is probably the most bizarre story of the week and there have been some pretty bizarre ones," Parry said. "I don't think I saw Alan Curbishley at all that day, apart from looking down at him on the touchline with some dismay."

The Liverpool chief executive is confident he can find a new manager within a month. "We don't have a lot of time on our side but I think within that sort of timescale we will be a few steps along the way," he said.

His first step on his return will be to talk to leading players such as Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard. "I think there will be some dialogue with senior players," he said, "not so much in terms of do you like this individual or that individual, but in terms of what they see being the qualities.

"Keeping them in the picture makes a great deal of sense. Top players like Michael and Steven want more than anything to be winning trophies. But, if Liverpool are trophyless, it is less appealing for them and understandably so."

Parry has yet to get Owen to agree a new contract. "I think Michael wants to stay," he said. "I think he will re-sign."

Parry also spoke of his "sorrow and regret" at sacking Houllier. "We had got that fourth spot and he thought it would be enough and we would give him another go. He wanted to have another go; he desperately wanted to win the league with Liverpool. He was very upset and hurt but took it with enormous good grace."
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls