Petr cech best goalie in europe - Call me bias

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:02 pm

They've been talking on Sky Sports about Petr Cech being named best goalie in Europe after picking up the award on Thursday at the CL draw, now call me bias with being a red, I'm going to stick my neck out now which is something I don't really do on here but imo Pepe Reina is the best keeper in Europe, I think the lad is awesome, ok he has the best defence in front of him but you only have to look at how many clean sheets he had last season and correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am now) but didn't Pepe have the most?

I think people forget about Reina sometimes, Carra gets all the credit (which he deserves) but the likes of Arbeloa, Agger and Reina do not get the credit they should!!!  :no
Last edited by Paul C on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:12 pm

Reina is a great keeper but Cech is better simple as that.
RedRoots

Postby The_Rock » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:19 pm

I too believe the pepe is better than cech.. but you have to understand that the panel takes certain stuff into consideration when picking a winner.

I guess one of those criteria has to be about national team performances... Cech is 1st choice for czeck republic.

On the other hand i can't believe how Iker Casillas can be picked ahead of pepe all the time..... So as long as Casillas keeps getting picked...i can't see pepe winning it.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:24 pm

Reina is great, and maybe one day he will be called "A Great" but I'm not sure you can call him the bes in europe. He does have a problem with crosses, and every now and again he goes to sleep and you can't really say the same about Cech. In his favor, Pepe is a better shot stopper and I don't think there is a better ball distributor in the world. And seeing as in recent years we've had Dudek, Kirkland, Freidal (when he was't good) and Westervald (who, lets face it, had his moments, both good and bad), Reina seems like a much better player by comparrison.

Cech is top quality (which doesn't mean that Pepe isn't) but whether he's the best in Europe, I wouldn't like to say. I still think Buffon is a legend, and Canizares always impresses me. On their days Dida, Casillas and a couple of others can put on quite a show. But Cech and Reina are very much at the top of the class. Somewhere.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:33 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:Reina is great, and maybe one day he will be called "A Great" but I'm not sure you can call him the bes in europe. He does have a problem with crosses, and every now and again he goes to sleep and you can't really say the same about Cech. In his favor, Pepe is a better shot stopper and I don't think there is a better ball distributor in the world. And seeing as in recent years we've had Dudek, Kirkland, Freidal (when he was't good) and Westervald (who, lets face it, had his moments, both good and bad), Reina seems like a much better player by comparrison.

Cech is top quality (which doesn't mean that Pepe isn't) but whether he's the best in Europe, I wouldn't like to say. I still think Buffon is a legend, and Canizares always impresses me. On their days Dida, Casillas and a couple of others can put on quite a show. But Cech and Reina are very much at the top of the class. Somewhere.

I have to disagree there Ace, on his first season he was suspect on crosses but last season and especially this season Reina has been spot on in the air, regards to Dida I think he's one of the most overated keepers in Europe, he's a good shot stoper which most keepers are been he's soooo dodgy it's unbelievable, I agree though that Buffon is good and deffo a legend but not in the class of Cech and Reina who I think are the best two in Europe at the moment  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:38 pm

I haven't seen much Czech except when he plays against Liverpool so I won't enter comparisons, he seems a very good keeper, that's for sure.

But UEFA doesn't pick the best players on football basis, but hype basis. Probably he was awarding Czech after his head injury that was dangerous for his life, and awarding Maldini because he keeps being nice in a photo and he's being around for a long time.

Pah, UEFA shows, who cares

The point of giving Reina the credit he deservers alongide others, is a great shout though.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:18 pm

Cech was out for a lot of last season, so quite how he can be named the best in Europe is something of a mystery.

BTW - which 'keeper won the battle of the penalties at Anfield in the Champions' League Semi final? Just remind us, would you, as it appears that UEFA have forgotton...

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Forever_Red » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:43 pm

but you only have to look at how many clean sheets he had last season and correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am now) but didn't Pepe have the most?

He did it the season before that as well didn't he?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Good to see Pepe getting the praise he deserves tho
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby weringo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:51 pm

Imo Cech is the better keeper (although not by much) but last season Cech must have only played about 50% of the games in the CL so I have no idea how he managed to win the award.

I also think who gets the award also has a lot to do with who can be bothered to turn up to ceremony, 3 Milan players won which is convenient because the next day they are playing in the Super Cup final in Monaco (the place where the presentation was held).
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby scouser 'til I die » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:50 pm

it was a total joke. he was injured for half the season and he hardly played in the champions league. plus reina had his best season yet and in my opinion much better than cechs

on overall talent fair enough, but during that season reina was clearly the superior

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby Reg » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:02 pm

Cech has peaked, Pepe is still improving. Watch this space.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:18 pm

AC Milan are the European Champions.

Therefore Dida is the best goalkeeper.

Cech is a good keeper of course, but the fact is that two other keepers, Reina and Dida, performed better in last seasons competition, so the award cannot possibly by any logic be given to Cech over those two guys.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:41 pm

I believe the panel who made the decision were the managers of all the teams who participated in the competition.

It may just be that they view Cech as the best goalkeeper generally speaking, as opposed to the best goalkeeper who partook in the competition. I can't see how he played better than Reina in last years competition, but I guess not all the managers saw each and every performance if they were playing and preparing matches themselves.

Anyway, it's of little relevance. It's just for show.
LFC2007

Postby stapo1000 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:27 am

casillas and cech imo the 2 best keepers in the world. given is up there 2. not many better than reina and he's improving all the time
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:31 pm

Cech is the better keeper IMO, this is for the sole reason that’s very rare Cech will display moments of sheer and erratic madness in goal, where as Reina has done so in the past.

Cech has the better attention and concentration span then Reina and this is crucial for a keeper, but I am a fan of Reina and in his defence it’s not often he’ll make a complete hash of things, but the flap with Andrew Johnson last season, still lives well in the memory.

Both keepers are an asset to their retrospective clubs and I dislike all these unnecessary panel based accolades which are handed out like smarties.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion