Champions League last 8 Qtr final.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:59 pm

It looks like we will need to score at least one at their place, and I'm certain we will get a few good chances. We have to press like we did at home. They are more than capable of Scoring 2/3/4 etc so it ain't quite over yet.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:14 pm

It will be the biggest capitulation in our European history if we fail to make the semi's ,City fans believe they still have a chance going on the 0-5 win at the Etihad ,I personally think they're forgetting the circumstances that handed them that game on a plate ,I mean the fear factor that accompanies facing our insanely talented triumvirate is already firmly instilled and the threat of the away goal will further their trepidation , they will score ,we will score, game over ! Bring on Barca
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 pm

$hitie know that a 3-0 over 90 mins forces extra time and with that EXTRA pressure on us to score a goal.
Let's be positive - but not over confident...
And lets not think of the next round until WE are there!
  :nod
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:15 pm

I would be surprised if they do not start the game cautiously, bearing in mind we are 0-3. If they do go gung-ho and throw the kitchen sink at us, then we should be able to hit them on the counter attack.

LFC fans are a bit cautious due to the 5-0 drubbing at their place. But we had 10 men and Salah went off at HT. I think Tuesday will be a totally different game. All we have to do is press well again.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 pm

johnbarnes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:06 pm wrote:$hitie know that a 3-0 over 90 mins forces extra time and with that EXTRA pressure on us to score a goal.

Surely the pressure on City not to concede will be far greater ,accompany that onus with the fact they need to score three without reply and quell the threat of Salah,Firmino and Mane for the full 90 mins and I know whose boots I'd sooner be wearing.

Even the most ardent City supporter will know deep down the task is a mammoth one,I took great pleasure in reminding  one of their more 'recent' fans in the office today on how the tickets for the game at our place were sold out in under 2 hrs and it took them a week to sell the tickets for the return, loosely translated :fans who know they will see something great as opposed to fans expecting to see something great and how fans that actually go the game are spared the embarrassment of asking the wife if they can watch MOTD  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:19 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 pm wrote:
johnbarnes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:06 pm wrote:$hitie know that a 3-0 over 90 mins forces extra time and with that EXTRA pressure on us to score a goal.

Surely the pressure on City not to concede will be far greater ,accompany that onus with the fact they need to score three without reply and quell the threat of Salah,Firmino and Mane for the full 90 mins and I know whose boots I'd sooner be wearing.

Even the most ardent City supporter will know deep down the task is a mammoth one,I took great pleasure in reminding  one of their more 'recent' fans in the office today on how the tickets for the game at our place were sold out in under 2 hrs and it took them a week to sell the tickets for the return, loosely translated :fans who know they will see something great as opposed to fans expecting to see something great and how fans that actually go the game are spared the embarrassment of asking the wife if they can watch MOTD  :D

I agree with you 100% and the selling of ticket sales is astonishing when we think that $hitie are the NKOTB.
You'd think that they'd be snapping and chomping at the bit..?
That said - We mustn't take this lot for granted.
----
It was only last season when Barca put in a shift at their place against PSG. It can be done.
----
I fully expect $hitie to demolish Maureen's bunch of fannies given whats at stake, which will make them feel invincible.
----
Lets just remember that the bear isn't dead. It just appears to be... 
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:18 pm

johnbarnes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:19 pm wrote:

I agree with you 100% and the selling of ticket sales is astonishing when we think that $hitie are the NKOTB.
You'd think that they'd be snapping and chomping at the bit..?
That said - We mustn't take this lot for granted.
----
It was only last season when Barca put in a shift at their place against PSG. It can be done.
----
I fully expect $hitie to demolish Maureen's bunch of fannies given whats at stake, which will make them feel invincible.
----
Lets just remember that the bear isn't dead. It just appears to be... 

Listen mate ,you chew your fingernails in the lead up to Tuesday if that's what gets you through ,I will be at the Etihad being fearless  :;): YNWA
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:12 am

I would rather have had 4 goals, but 3 is fantastic. Its definitely an advantage and the ball is firmly in our court, but a word of caution is needed at this time.
I remember a match where a team was 3-0 down at half time and was seen as dead and buried, only for them to come back spectacularly and end up winning the game. They rose like Lazarus and it was seen as nothing short of a miracle, so much so that the game is still called that to this day.
I am not suggesting that city will do an "Istanbul" but football is a funny old game and we have to remember that things can go ti'ts up,  while having the confidence that we can finish the job...
COYMRM!!!
Thommo's perm

Postby only me » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:24 am

Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 am wrote:I would rather have had 4 goals, but 3 is fantastic. Its definitely an advantage and the ball is firmly in our court, but a word of caution is needed at this time.
I remember a match where a team was 3-0 down at half time and was seen as dead and buried, only for them to come back spectacularly and end up winning the game. They rose like Lazarus and it was seen as nothing short of a miracle, so much so that the game is still called that to this day.
I am not suggesting that city will do an "Istanbul" but football is a funny old game and we have to remember that things can go ti'ts up,  while having the confidence that we can finish the job...
COYMRM!!!

No need to go to Istanbul mate we had huge leads spent against likes of Palace and Bournemouth if I remember correctly..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby electrum » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:05 am

I understand the need for a little bit of circumspection with regards to Tuesday night...but really guys City are the ones who will be bricking it - their fans will expect them to deliver and deliver big-  and that leads them into our hands on the counter.

Let's go into this confident and focussed (not arrogant), avoid defending too deep when pressured and I can't see anything other than us progressing because I'm sure we will score.

If we can't win this at 3-0 up at half time then we don't deserve to and City do.

A 4-2 aggregate win for the red men will do nicely.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Agreed. I'd rather be 3-0 up than 0-3 down in a CL quarter final. I expect a sh*t atmosphere at their ground, pie eating mancs etc etc.

maybe (after the first leg events), they will try to blow our team bus up! :p

we just need to press/ win back possession/ break up their play, exactly as we did at Anfield.

First half an hour will be crucial.

All the pressure is on them. They need to score and win the game. We don't.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Also..........Sane played 90 mins for City today, so he's going to be Knackered come Tuesday night.  :buttrock
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Great result for us at Manchester...City confidence will down even more..Now hope Mo is ok and we should be feeling even better.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:26 pm

If we go through to the semis what would be sweet is getting Barca and beating them. Coutinho could sit in the stands and think of what could've been.

:D
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:44 pm

only me » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:53 pm wrote:Great result for us at Manchester...City confidence will down even more..Now hope Mo is ok and we should be feeling even better.

True but City should have been 5-0 up in the first half, they scored 2, Sterling missed 2 sitters and Gundogan hit the post when he should have really scored (that's without mentioning the very good penalty shout they had turned down as well).
United have got a good defence but they were absolutely torn to shreds in the first half.
If we go into Tuesdays game thinking it's going to be a cakewalk we could easily come unstuck.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion