RAHEEM STERLING - Official Thread

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:41 pm

RedAnt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:37 pm wrote:Good points, Scott.

But let's not forget that Sterling has improved massively in his time with us. He started as a winger but has much more to his game thanks to LFC coaching. So the club would be entitled to ask for something in the £40m mark whilst on the other side of the coin retaining a reasonable pay structure. He's 19 (?) and if we give him £100k now how much would his next pay rise be? And how long before it rises beyond our means?

It's a fair point mate but this kid would have been a top player no matter where he was, sure the club and Brendan can take some credit, they have done a fine job but he was always going to get there in my opinion, and he still has plenty more growth in him.

And as for the money in relation to his age I don't think it matters, and neither does it matter what his next pay rise might turn out to be. It's all driven by the market and it will need to be in league with the other top clubs if that's where FSG want us to be. What gets me is that we've got fans who are kinda ok with 80/90k a week for the lad but aghast and bristling in fury at the suggestion he could be asking for something like 120k. We'll let's assume the club won't play ball, let's take that 30/40k a week saving they will be making and see what that might buy us? Another Aspas maybe? Or sell the lad and buy another Markovic? Fook that. Any transfer buy is a risk, a gamble, particularly with FSGs speculative approach. All the more reason to keep your best young players. We have to. This kid is a cracking player already but he is going to be fantastic.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:05 pm

Scottbot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:41 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:37 pm wrote:Good points, Scott.

But let's not forget that Sterling has improved massively in his time with us. He started as a winger but has much more to his game thanks to LFC coaching. So the club would be entitled to ask for something in the £40m mark whilst on the other side of the coin retaining a reasonable pay structure. He's 19 (?) and if we give him £100k now how much would his next pay rise be? And how long before it rises beyond our means?

It's a fair point mate but this kid would have been a top player no matter where he was, sure the club and Brendan can take some credit, they have done a fine job but he was always going to get there in my opinion, and he still has plenty more growth in him.

And as for the money in relation to his age I don't think it matters, and neither does it matter what his next pay rise might turn out to be. It's all driven by the market and it will need to be in league with the other top clubs if that's where FSG want us to be. What gets me is that we've got fans who are kinda ok with 80/90k a week for the lad but aghast and bristling in fury at the suggestion he could be asking for something like 120k. We'll let's assume the club won't play ball, let's take that 30/40k a week saving they will be making and see what that might buy us? Another Aspas maybe? Or sell the lad and buy another Markovic? Fook that. Any transfer buy is a risk, a gamble, particularly with FSGs speculative approach. All the more reason to keep your best young players. We have to. This kid is a cracking player already but he is going to be fantastic.

Well it's hard to argue with that. We'd be unlikely to bring in a big-name international in his place. Yet we're overloaded with attacking players and if the likes of Markovic had hit the ground running it'd be a different story and Sterling wouldn't be in as strong a position negotiation-wise.
That said, I still believe he has more developing to do before he hits the 100k mark.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Scottbot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:09 pm wrote:I'm perpetually gob smacked by the response of a good chunk if our fan base with regards to Sterling's contract situation. Now I know that the money in football is ludicrous, let's take that as a given but if I read 'holding the club to ransom' again I think I'll scream. A few questions below for anyone who feels that way about Sterling.

1/ have FSG turned us all into accountants? That's what it feels like

2/ with the manager parading Sterling as the "best young player in Europe" is it any surprise his agents fancy they can barter a better deal?

3/ let's say the club don't pay him what he is asking and he is sold. does anybody really have ANY confidence that the funds would/could be used to buy a player of the same level? Given that our transfer policy is based COMPLETELY around buying players with potential who are NOT coveted by other teams.

4/ if he doesn't sign and the club sell him, what is the minimum transfer fee you would be happy with us getting for the lad? If your answer to this question is anywhere north of £40 million my next question is (in this market) how much would you expect a £40 million pound player to be earning p/week?

5/ do you think Chelsea or City would be having issues like this with of their brightest young players?

6/ if they pay him what he wants or somewhere close to it, are they all really going to be queuing out the Melwood carpark to bang on Ian Ayre's door demanding more money? I think it's bollox

Nail on the head 100% correct
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 pm

The abuse Sterling is getting from the fans is absolutely ridiculous, the club is taking the pi*s with him and several other players contracts by delaying talks and low balling them for there market value. With Gerrard gone next year, Liverpool are gonna be making millions of pounds off Sterlings names as one of the teams true Genuine stars, with no Gerrard to get printed on the kids replica shirts whos name do you think is gonna be a top seller in the club shop? I guarantee the club will be whoring him around for every marketing opportunity possible so why he shouldnt he get his share of the spoils? regardless of the business side of things he is still easily one of our top 3 players in the squad and already one of the big stars in the league, the going rate for players of Sterlings stature is at least 100k a week in todays market so i dont think hes doing anything wrong to ask for the going rate.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:01 pm

I read rumours that he's meant to be asking in the region of 150K per week. As much as I agree that we've ourselves to blame as much as anything due to his being thrown early doors into the spotlight and made a star, coupled with a lack of real star talent to balance out his expectations, 150K week seems way way way way way more than he's worth now, or has the potential to be worth in the future. He should be more than happy on 1/2 that in my opinion.

You know you're getting old when you find yourself berating kids for not having the foresight and knowledge to recognise the value of a career rather than a bottomless pit of money in the bank. How much do you really need at 19-20 ffs........it's not as if we're going backwards and it's not as if he's offering anything like the genius that Suarez or Aguero offer. Feck me, I'd rather let this doofus leave and get Luis back for the half season he'd inevitably play due to whatever controversy is ongoing at the time.

If this is really true and he succeeds in holding the club to ransom like this, I want it written into his contract that he needs to put aside 2 hrs a week to get on his knees and kiss whoevers furry chuddies want kissing
Homebooby

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:09 pm

I don't know why anyone's surprised by Sterling's demands. It's going to be more and more common for top players to ask for ridiculous wages, especially with the clubs being richer than ever with the new tv deal kicking in.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Made up the club and in particular Rodgers are making a stand.

Its a ***** joke, the lad could earn what some of the fans who go the games wont earn in ten years each and every week.

Makes me sick.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Homebooby » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:01 pm wrote:I read rumours that he's meant to be asking in the region of 150K per week. As much as I agree that we've ourselves to blame as much as anything due to his being thrown early doors into the spotlight and made a star, coupled with a lack of real star talent to balance out his expectations, 150K week seems way way way way way more than he's worth now, or has the potential to be worth in the future. He should be more than happy on 1/2 that in my opinion.

You know you're getting old when you find yourself berating kids for not having the foresight and knowledge to recognise the value of a career rather than a bottomless pit of money in the bank. How much do you really need at 19-20 ffs........it's not as if we're going backwards and it's not as if he's offering anything like the genius that Suarez or Aguero offer. Feck me, I'd rather let this doofus leave and get Luis back for the half season he'd inevitably play due to whatever controversy is ongoing at the time.

If this is really true and he succeeds in holding the club to ransom like this, I want it written into his contract that he needs to put aside 2 hrs a week to get on his knees and kiss whoevers furry chuddies want kissing

I'm not sure there is any concrete evidence that he is asking for that sort of money is there? Of course the whole debate is speculative to a point. If it turns out his agents are demanding 150k a week then fair enough, the lad probably deserves the stick he is getting BUT given where the club is with Henderson and the total hash they made of Gerrard's contract i'm inclined to side with the player.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Why is it just Sterling who appears to be getting abuse? I'snt Hendo in the same boat? The club have alledgedly offered Hendo £80k a week which is an increase of £15k. If that is true then LFC are simply playing a somewhat naive and dangerous game.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:29 pm wrote:Made up the club and in particular Rodgers are making a stand.

Its a ***** joke, the lad could earn what some of the fans who go the games wont earn in ten years each and every week.

Makes me sick.

I know what you are saying and lets face it we probably dont know all the facts. Owen and McManamon effectively held the club to ransom and it cost LFC a lot of money. Owen was sold by Real Madrid to Newcastle a year later for £10m more than we sold him for !! If we are happy to sell players for next to nothing to make a point then good luck to them.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:52 pm

I think Andy Carroll is on over £100k a week with the Hammers and he spends most of his time in the physio room !! Apart from that he certainly no Sterling.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:29 pm wrote:Made up the club and in particular Rodgers are making a stand.

Makes me sick.

That's just football mate, they live on another frickin planet and have zero connection to the fans. Players like Carra are a dying breed and we likely won['t see another like him.

But the bottom line for me is that if the club are serious about being at the top or near the top they will have to find a way to keep these players.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:56 pm

devaney » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:38 pm wrote:Why is it just Sterling who appears to be getting abuse? I'snt Hendo in the same boat? The club have alledgedly offered Hendo £80k a week which is an increase of £15k. If that is true then LFC are simply playing a somewhat naive and dangerous game.

Because Hendo is a nice Geordie lad who plays with his heart on his sleeve and the fans sticking the boot into Sterling feel less comfortable aiming the same vocab at Hendo even if he does need the cash to buy more hair gel  :)
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:23 pm

Scottbot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 pm wrote:
devaney » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:38 pm wrote:Why is it just Sterling who appears to be getting abuse? I'snt Hendo in the same boat? The club have alledgedly offered Hendo £80k a week which is an increase of £15k. If that is true then LFC are simply playing a somewhat naive and dangerous game.

Because Hendo is a nice Geordie lad who plays with his heart on his sleeve and the fans sticking the boot into Sterling feel less comfortable aiming the same vocab at Hendo even if he does need the cash to buy more hair gel  :)

Hendo's a mackem, not a Geordie. Does that count as stick? Probably!
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:34 pm

The pair of them can go as far as I'm concerned, getting a bit sick of modern football players tbh and their greed. Everyone else has to deal with ridiculous house prices, energy bills, wage freezes, zero hour contracts, swingeing cuts to public services, 9 grand a year tuition fee's, bedroom taxes, food banks, homelessness and everything else austerity brings yet these players who are already paid a kings ransom to play a game just keep on wanting more and more.
£85 000 a week to kick a ball around? Someone with a boss job would have to work 2 years to earn that, to a lot of people working in say the service sector that's over half a decades pay yet these players turn their noses up at the prospect of earning that sum in one week?
I'm no fan of politicians but they do have an important job, £85 000 is more than they earn in a YEAR.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion