LAZAR MARKOVIC- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:41 pm

Ben Patrick » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:12 pm wrote:Loved it in his interview where he said I have won the title at partizan the title at benfica and I am here to win the title...100%

he's won the league in all of the 4 season's he's been a professional.

the league title is in the bag!  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Great signing! Welcome to the club Lazar.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Soupyzrx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Jeez, I hope he's not as good as you boys all say he is or we'll have a repeat of the whole LS saga when the Spanish burglars all come whispering in his ear.
Only joking. Here's hoping he gives us something to smile about.
Now, Brendan. Think 'defenders'.
Buy some good ones.
There. That sounds easy enough.
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:11 pm

from the echo...

Brendan Rodgers believes Liverpool FC have acquired one of Europe’s most exciting young talents in new signing Lazar Markovic.

The Serbian international has become the Reds’ fourth summer purchase, penning a long-term deal at Anfield having came through a medical on Merseyside earlier this week.

Liverpool will pay a total fee of around £20m, with the money split evenly between Benfica, who owned 50% of the player’s economic rights, and a third-party ownership group, who held the other half.
Markovic, who can play anywhere across the forward line, joins Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Emre Can in strengthening Rodgers’ squad ahead of the new Premier League season. More arrivals are expected to follow.

The 20-year-old arrives off the back of a strong season in Portugal, where he helped Benfica to a domestic treble as well as a place in the final of the Europa League, where they lost on penalties to Sevilla in Turin.

And Rodgers believes his arrival will strengthen the Reds’ attacking options significantly as they prepare to challenge on four fronts over the coming campaign, backing the new-boy to fit in well at Anfield.

He said: “This is an exciting signing for us and one that improves our squad, in terms of attacking options, for the coming season.

“He was hugely impressive for Benfica last season and has proved he has the ability to produce the goods in European competition as well, which will be important for us.

“Lazar is flexible to play a number of positions, but I like the way he attacks games and is always positive and looking to make something happen. He will fit in with the way we play at Liverpool.

“Getting him at such a young age is also very pleasing for us, because we will be able to work with him to develop his talent within our group and improve him even further.

“He is the sort of character who is hungry to get better and progress; this is what we look for in players.”

Markovic himself, meanwhile, says he is delighted to have joined the Reds, and is already eyeing a Premier League winners’ medal.

“I have already played in the Champions League with Benfica,” he said. “It is superb that Liverpool are in it and I hope we will go far next season.

“The Premier League is the strongest league in the world, and so I am very happy to be here.

“I watched every game (last season) and Liverpool played absolutely superb. It is a shame they did not win the title - but I hope we will win it this season.

“I went to Partizan Belgrade and won the title. I went to Benfica and won the title. Now I have joined Liverpool and want to win the title, 100 per cent.”

Markovic scored seven goals in 48 appearances for Benfica last season, impressing with his pace and running power. He says his best position is down the left-hand side, but insisted he was just looking forward to getting started at his new club.

He said: “The left side is preferable, but I will play wherever I am asked. I do not mind.

“I have spoken with the manager. He told me what position I will be playing in the team and I am here to fulfil his expectations.

“I am very happy that I have joined such a great club. I hope that I will fulfil the expectations of the supporters, coaches, players and all connected to the club.

“I have seen what the players are like, I have seen what the supporters are like, and now I cannot wait to start playing at Anfield.”
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... ar-7431091

really looking forward to seeing this lad play. some good positive stuff from the lad in there. also loved that he watched all our games last year  :buttrock
i think he is only the second croatian to play for us ?
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:17 pm

He is Serbian mate.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:36 pm

:blush:
so he is  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:36 am

Welcome to the club mate, looks to be great signing

7 reason to get excited from Mirror site over this signing

1. Product of class

Markovic signed for Serbian football giants Partizan Belgrade at the age of 12 as part of their acclaimed Youth School Belin academy.

If their coaching ability is anything to go by, then Liverpool fans can rest easy. Partizan have produced the likes of Manchester City duo Stevan Jovetic and Matija Nastasic in recent years.

2. International talent

Having broken into the Partizan first team at just 17, Markovic was rewarded with a professional five-year-deal in a bid to fend off interest from European clubs, one of them being Chelsea.

The left-winger went on to captain Serbia under 19’s, excelled at under 21’s, and managed to break into the senior squad all before he’d legally be allowed a pint of beer in England.

3. Time to get shirty

If you want to beat the crowds at the club shop by getting your shirt printed early, then there’s a good chance you can guess what number he’ll wear.

Markovic has worn number 50 at his previous two clubs and safe to say it won’t be in high demand at Anfield, previously worn by Adam Morgan and Cameron Brannagan...*cough*

4. Fans favourite

During his time at Partizan, Markovic was an instant hit with their passionate fans who voted him player of the year on the club website in 2011 at the age of just 17.

And how do you endear yourself to the Benfica fans after £9m move? Scoring the equalising goal against your fierce rivals Sporting Lisbon should do it...

Liverpool fans will be hoping he can make a habit of that, and Everton visit Anfield on September 27th.

5. Feisty one you are

Markovic missed Benfica’s Europa League final victory because of a red card he picked up in the semi-final. In injury time in the second leg against Juventus, Markovic, who had already been substituted at the time, received a straight red card for a touchline fight with his opponent Mirko Vučinić. 

Liverpool fans will miss the commitment, fight and displays of passion that Luis Suarez brought to the field of play in a red shirt, but by the looks of things, Lazar Markovic has plenty of it too. With, hopefull, slightly less bite.
So don't call him a Croatian whatever you do   :D

Despite missing the final, UEFA still rewarded his outstanding contribution by including him in the Europa League Team of the Year.

6. He’s not a replacement

The Serbian is not to be considered a like-for-like replacement for last season’s top Premier League goalscorer.

Markovic - who says his boyhood hero is Gianfranco Zola - excels predominantly from the left-wing, but has previously been deployed in a central number 10 role behind the striker.

With a devastating turn of pace, he’s likely to attack full backs in unison with Raheem Sterling, as part of a deadly front three with Daniel Sturridge.

7. Rodger that, gaffer.

During his two seasons as Liverpool manager, Brendan Rodgers has made a habit of bringing through and developing young talent at Anfield.

Raheem Sterling, Jon Flanagan, Suso and Coutinho have shown real potential during his tenure. And even Jordan Henderson - who once looked like his Liverpool career was going to come to an early disappointing end - has shone.

At 20 years of age, Rodgers cans still mould Lazar Markovic into the type of player that will suit his, and Liverpool’s, style of attacking football
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 am

Fantastic signing and something we can all genuinely get excited over!

I called it early when we signed Coutinho and I will call this one early again, this kid is going to be a SUPERSTAR.

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby killerp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:40 am

I saw the youtube clip on this guy... meh... aim higher Rodgers....  Lallana + Markovic and you got Di Maria or Vidal easy :glare:
killerp

Postby devaney » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:48 am

Welcome to Liverpool FC La !!!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:01 am

killerp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:40 am wrote:I saw the youtube clip on this guy... meh... aim higher Rodgers....  Lallana + Markovic and you got Di Maria or Vidal easy :glare:

lol youtube  :D

I was impressed with him on dailymotion.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

killerp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:40 am wrote:I saw the youtube clip on this guy... meh... aim higher Rodgers....  Lallana + Markovic and you got Di Maria or Vidal easy :glare:

From what I saw of him in the World Cup that Vidal is massively over rated, and whilst Di Maria is a good player I don't think his style would suit the prem, he looks a bit lightweight to me, another Nani IMO.
As for Markovic he is a potential star of the future and exactly the type of player that we should be targeting. Obviously no signing is without it's risk but at least when you buy someone with the type of raw talent that Markovic possesses you've got half a chance.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 am

what he said ^   spot on
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:28 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am wrote:

From what I saw of him in the World Cup that Vidal is massively over rated, and whilst Di Maria is a good player I don't think his style would suit the prem, he looks a bit lightweight to me, another Nani IMO.
As for Markovic he is a potential star of the future and exactly the type of player that we should be targeting. Obviously no signing is without it's risk but at least when you buy someone with the type of raw talent that Markovic possesses you've got half a chance.

Lets just hope he is not a Serbian Aspas
killerp

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:55 pm

killerp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:28 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am wrote:

Lets just hope he is not a Serbian Aspas

To be fair even a lot of posters on here questioned the logic in signing a striker that had spent most of his career in the Spanish second division, Aspas's main claim to fame was that his goals kept Celta in the top flight, we basically signed la liga's version of those escape artists like Jordi Gomez that kept the likes of Wigan and Fulham in the prem so long.
Markovic's career path is on a totally different level, he's gone from Partizan to Benfica to Liverpool in the space of 3 years, all before he's even 21, leaving a host of player of the year awards, European finals and league titles in his wake.
It's no guarantee that he'll be a success here of course but this lad clearly has a lot of potential.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion