Youssi benayoun - ?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:17 pm

I have to say, the more you read, you can't help but think Benayoun's going to be at Liverpool come next season.  Too many sources are now carrying the story and the fact he is stalling over a contract at West Ham pretty much confirms the player himself is holding out for a move.

Personally I don't think he'd look out of place in our side.  Good on the ball and can certainly split a defence, while also carrying a goal threat himself.  Apart from the price, which as usual we will be held to ransom over, the question is whether we need him.  For me he's a similar player to Garcia.  He'll hold onto the ball better and pass it better, but he'll lack the fantastic scoring ratio our Spaniard has.  Apart from that they're the same player, both always coming inside and finding space between midfield and attack, similar physique and no defensive instinct at all.

For me why swap like for like?  There have been no noises about Garcia leaving so I wouldn't bother with Benayoun.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:25 pm

Benayoun in case Garcia gets injured again.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:48 pm

john craig wrote:I have to say, the more you read, you can't help but think Benayoun's going to be at Liverpool come next season.  Too many sources are now carrying the story and the fact he is stalling over a contract at West Ham pretty much confirms the player himself is holding out for a move.

Personally I don't think he'd look out of place in our side.  Good on the ball and can certainly split a defence, while also carrying a goal threat himself.  Apart from the price, which as usual we will be held to ransom over, the question is whether we need him.  For me he's a similar player to Garcia.  He'll hold onto the ball better and pass it better, but he'll lack the fantastic scoring ratio our Spaniard has.  Apart from that they're the same player, both always coming inside and finding space between midfield and attack, similar physique and no defensive instinct at all.

For me why swap like for like?  There have been no noises about Garcia leaving so I wouldn't bother with Benayoun.

Garcia is better, Garcia's main aspect is movment off the ball, which benayoun doesn't have, thats why garcia is a goal threat
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:09 am

Fowler --> Voronin
Zenden --> Benayoun (if we sign him)
Gonzalez --> Malouda? Simao? Etc...
Dudek --> Carson if he stays

Basically, people are acting as if Yossi is going to be a major signing. He won't be.
IF he does come in he'll be acting as Zenden was last year, a versatile squad player.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Grudge » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:30 am

Benayoun has put in a transfer request.Almost 100% now that he will be an LFC player next season and Bellamy will be going the other way.
Personally i think he will be agreat addition to our squad.He has been great for W Ham at his time there.People compare him to Garcia and thats fair enough but Benayoun has one very important thing that Garcia severely lacks.......consistancy.He may not score as many goals but by keeping the ball better and creating a lot more i feel this will more than compensate for that.When he played for Haifa he hit 19 goals one season with his lowest tally being 9!Only 3 for W Ham last season

He can only benefit for playing in a better team with better players and looks the type of player to me that will give 100% to rise to the challenge of being an LFC player.
Id be chuffed if he comes...If he was at Milan or Juventus and on his way to us people would be delighted,just because hes at W Ham does not make him any less talented..hes a very very good player.

I'll also be glad to see the back of Bellamy for a number of reasons and be seeing the back of him we will make way for a much needed striker...things are just about to get interesting!!
The Grudge

Postby destro » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:51 am

Liverpool target Yossi Benayoun is ready to tell West Ham he DOES want to quit the club when he returns from holiday this week.

The Israel ace will jet back to London and have a meeting with chairman Eggert Magnusson.

Playmaker Benayoun, 27, will tell Magnusson he is keen to leave after admitting the lure of Champions League finalists Liverpool is to strong to resist.

Benayouns agent Ronen Katzav said "Yossi is on vacation and finalising his decision now.
"He will meet West Ham when he returns next week.
"He is excited about Liverpool.Do you know a player not interested in joining them?"

West Ham are likely to hold out until they get an offer of 5 million.
destro

Postby bigmick » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:02 am

If people do compare benayoun to Garcia they shouldn't as they are totally different players. One is a ball carrier by trade, who picks it up between the lines and ooks to unhinge defences with direct running and a subtle through ball. The other is a trickster (Ok Judge and occasionally a ball-waster) who looks to unhinge a defence with deft deflections and subtlety of movement. One offers a very significant goal threat, and one one doesn't. One is sonsistent and retains posession well, one isn't and doesn't. They are both good players (Garcia is an exceptional one IMHO) but they aren't really similar in my opinion.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:22 am

I agree. I remember more Benayoun's Spanish stage than the english one to be honest, as I've seen him in the TV en england about 2 or 3 times.

But it seems to me Benayoun is "more midfielder" than Garcia is. Garcia likes to enter the box more often than Benayoun I reckon, and also tries more last passes (and thus wastes more balls), Benayoun played in Santander as an attacking mid. I liked him, but he was not impressive neither. I don't recall him shooting from range for instance nor making much threat, but when the game was "thick" with many men in the midfield, and many balls being lost by each team, he was the typical player who made the correct pass, meaning, he didn't just pass the ball but passed it with sense, he was aware of what was going on around him.

In that sense, I think he'll provide a different role to a winger, and it will help so that Gerrard won't play again in the wing.

When we play a left winger (hopefully class and a good buy) Benayoun could be the option to play in the right. When we play Pennant in the right Benayoun will be the man to play in the left. And Gerrard will play in the middle, with Mascherano or Alonso behind, depending on kind of games (the opposition sits deep or advances the lines) or rotation.

This is I think the reason Zenden appeared so often in the line ups this season. From a Spanish point of view (nowadays) 2 strikers is quite risky, so Rafa won't play 2 strikers AND 2 pure wingers (unless he sees blatant superiority or he's losing). You have to have possesion with two strikers, otherwise you're well fúcked. And that's why one of the men of the wing must be more a midfielder than a winger, in order to not be outnumbered in the middle, and in order to enhance possesion.

Thus when we played Pennant, Rafa picked Zenden because he's better for possesion than Riise or Gonzalez. The former because passing is not his forte, and the latter because he's a winger and he was too intimidated for playing in LFC. (Although Riise is a credit defensively when he plays in the midfield).

Thus, Gerrard and Zenden were the best options to play in the left, and picking Gerrard for that role in one game provoked  dismay, so Zenden ended up playing quite a lot.

If we bring a quality left winger (and I think we will) and a big name upfront (I think we will) Benayoun will be a very interesting player for the team indeed. And will put Gerrard in the middle.  :;):
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:31 am

Bread wrote:If only we could attract the Andersons & Ronaldo's of this world!  :angry:

what makes you so sure those players are gonna light up the epl as much as they lighted up portugal?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby johnlennon » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:21 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Bread wrote:If only we could attract the Andersons & Ronaldo's of this world!  :angry:

what makes you so sure those players are gonna light up the epl as much as they lighted up portugal?

regards the "diver" ronaldo he wasn't as good as he is now when thw wancs bought him, fair due's they spotted his talent and it paid off for them, maybe anderson an nani will be the same? who knows but we should be more worried about our own team affairs bread

i think we should maybe stay away from spanish players and get towards either english or french as they play a different style
when you walk in the storm..............
johnlennon

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:32 pm

There are good and bad players from every country. That's like saying we shouldn't be interested in Villa because of our past experiences with Nunez and Josemi.

And it's not like our previous experiences with French players is anything to get massively excited about. But that's because we were bringing in the likes of Le Tallec when our rivals were bringing in Makelele and Gallas, or Cisse while our rivals had Henry.
ivor_the_injun

Postby The Hitman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:05 pm

Beanyoun is better than Garcia. Garcia is gash and would have been dropped by utd , :censored: or chelsea by now. The amigo helps our opponents more than he helps liverpool by passing the ball to them all day long ,  he's a bit old for sucking his thumb as well !...not that he gets to suck it very often these days mind you :angry:
The Hitman

Postby redtrader74 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:06 pm

bigmick wrote:If people do compare benayoun to Garcia they shouldn't as they are totally different players. One is a ball carrier by trade, who picks it up between the lines and ooks to unhinge defences with direct running and a subtle through ball. The other is a trickster (Ok Judge and occasionally a ball-waster) who looks to unhinge a defence with deft deflections and subtlety of movement. One offers a very significant goal threat, and one one doesn't. One is sonsistent and retains posession well, one isn't and doesn't. They are both good players (Garcia is an exceptional one IMHO) but they aren't really similar in my opinion.

Exactamundo there Mick, they are both attacking players and willow the wisp in build, but thats pretty much where the similarity ends. I see them both as offering something different, ball carrying for one and  a deft touch and movement from the other, in an otherwise functional team.
Benayoun as a replacement for Zenden, and another option on the right is a good addition to the club.

Basically when the rotation starts, i'd be far happier to see Benayoun coming on rather than Bolo/Gonzo.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:52 am

Benayoun is a good player.

Benayoun has proved his worth in the premiership in a "poor" side (no disrespect) and has scored goals, nit sure exactly how many. He is reasonably creative, just look at how he tore us aprat in the FA cup final.

He will make a reasonable addition to the squad and if we did sign him I think we may be suprised.

He isnt good on champ tho :p
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:36 am

The Hitman wrote:Beanyoun is better than Garcia. Garcia is gash and would have been dropped by utd , :censored: or chelsea by now. The amigo helps our opponents more than he helps liverpool by passing the ball to them all day long ,  he's a bit old for sucking his thumb as well !...not that he gets to suck it very often these days mind you :angry:

What a well stated and correct post....

NOT    :angry:

Garcia does sometimes give the ball away but he is not gash. He is a big game player whose goals helped us to th EC final in 2005. Watch him play, observe his movement off the ball and consider how handy the goals he would have scored if he had not been injured would have been to us.

To say he is gash shows your football ignorance.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill