Yakubu - Good or just another japanese food?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:00 pm

this may only be a cr@p rumor, but it can be an interesting issue to discuss since he's an EPL player whom many of us know better about

Yakubu, anybody?

Liverpool - International striker swoop mooted
24 Feb 2006 15:47

Liverpool have been linked with a summer swoop for Middlesbrough's Nigerian international striker Yakubu.

The European champions have struggled in front of goal this term compared to other elite Premiership sides such as Chelsea and Manchester United, and Reds boss Rafa Benitez is keen to sign a clinical finisher for next season's campaign.

Yakubu has been in prolific form for Boro since his summer move from Portsmouth, scoring 13 goals in 24 Premiership appearances.

The 23-year-old's power, pace and composure would give Liverpool a much-needed cutting edge, and although Benitez has not confirmed his interest, Boro boss Steve McClaren has admitted big clubs are eyeing his prized asset:

"If Yakubu continues doing what he's doing, the big boys will come knocking.

"I know he wants to play at the top level, and hopefully that'll be here with us."

Liverpool would have to launch a massive cash offer to persuade Boro to part with their most potent attacking weapon, although the player himself could well provide the impetus for a switch to such a prestigious club.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:02 pm

it is abit early for summer rumours mate.
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:03 pm

yes its a rumor, but rumors belong in the rumor mill
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:46 pm

we should sign him, he has played for 2 poor teams and still scored goals,he is only 23 years old and will only get better,rafa should sign him for next season before one of our rivals do
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:52 pm

I've never really fancies him until recently. Unfortunately, now he's proven himself at two as you say poor teams, he would cost the Earth. Middlesboro' paid 7.5 million for him so God only knows what he would cost. 15 at least IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:03 pm

personally i would like us to persue defoe with a cash+cisse deal being offered. Now fu,ck knows why jol is interested in cisse but that could be a real possibility. he is a proven prem scorer and is always a threat, he is a match winner.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby gato_busta » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:05 pm

Is there still a rumor thread? Yakubu would not be a bad option, as you say he is still young but then again who knows if he can cut it at a big team. One player that Liverpool should look at is Ryan Babel from Ajax. He is a really good striker, 19 years old and probably will not have much games at Ajax next season (they have too many stikers right now with Mitea, Huntelaar, Rosenberg, Rosales, etc.). Might be a good option, just a thought.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby mighty mo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:31 pm

davo_LFC wrote:personally i would like us to persue defoe with a cash+cisse deal being offered. Now fu,ck knows why jol is interested in cisse but that could be a real possibility. he is a proven prem scorer and is always a threat, he is a match winner.

yukubu is far superior to defoe,he scores more goals and has more to his game than defoe,and defoe isn't even the prefered choice upfront for spurs now
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:34 pm

gato_busta wrote:Is there still a rumor thread? Yakubu would not be a bad option, as you say he is still young but then again who knows if he can cut it at a big team. One player that Liverpool should look at is Ryan Babel from Ajax. He is a really good striker, 19 years old and probably will not have much games at Ajax next season (they have too many stikers right now with Mitea, Huntelaar, Rosenberg, Rosales, etc.). Might be a good option, just a thought.

no but there is a rumour mill
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:01 pm

mighty mo wrote:
davo_LFC wrote:personally i would like us to persue defoe with a cash+cisse deal being offered. Now fu,ck knows why jol is interested in cisse but that could be a real possibility. he is a proven prem scorer and is always a threat, he is a match winner.

yukubu is far superior to defoe,he scores more goals and has more to his game than defoe,and defoe isn't even the prefered choice upfront for spurs now

fair enough, yakubu probably has more to his game than defoe but i think we could get defoe for alot cheaper than yakubu, especially if we offer cisse and cash. Also i think defoe would be quality with crouch, getting on to his flick ons n that.  :wwww
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:49 pm

YAKUBU is no better than cisse. No one wants Cisse so why yakubu?
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:50 pm

RAFABENITEZ wrote:YAKUBU is no better than cisse. No one wants Cisse so why yakubu?

lol

you must be a comedian

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:57 pm

Anfieldadorer, you haven't mentioned the source of the piece. Regardless, it has absolutely nothing in it to suggest it's even remotely credible.

For those that don't rate Yakubu, I suggest you disregard the shirt he wears and actually take the time to watch the guy. He's a very, very good player, and I would be stunned if a top 6 team or a big European side haven't taken him of Middlesbrough's hands before the start of next season.

Pace, power, skill, great workrate, good composure in the box, 3 very good seasons in the Prem, still only 24... he'd cost serious money, but he's the real deal, and would get my vote if we had enough spare cash going to land him.
ivor_the_injun

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:09 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:
RAFABENITEZ wrote:YAKUBU is no better than cisse. No one wants Cisse so why yakubu?

lol

you must be a comedian

Well im a funny guy, but im deadly serious here mate.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:16 pm

there are alot of players who play well in smaller teams that we will be linked with . barton, bullard,yakubu,nolan,d.bent,bentley,etc

this should be in the rumour mill because do you want any of this pile of middle table battlers, good player in their small pond but at anfield no thanks imho,

i like the idea of some of these lads but do i think they will improve the squad no!  at the mo rush coming out of retirment would improve our front line but rafa will sort that in the summer.  so no thanks
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill