Steven pienaar - Good for us?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby maguskwt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:51 am

Liverpool set sights on Everton's Pienaar?

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is preparing to raid Merseyside rivals Everton to sign Steven Pienaar, according to reports.

GettyImages

Steven Pienaar: Contract expires in 14 months

Pienaar has been one of Everton's star performers this season but his contract runs out in 14 months and Benitez is ready to risk the wrath of Everton boss David Moyes to land the South African international.

Pienaar, 28, is currently in contract talks at Goodison Park and is reported to want about £50,000 per week to put him on a par with the club's top earners.

Liverpool's apparent interest will help negotiations and Pienaar's agent, Ivan Modia, expects everything to be settled one way or another in the coming months.

"Steven's future will be sorted before the World Cup," Modia said. "We have had some interest expressed from clubs in Europe but we haven't talked to them because everything must go through Everton because he is under contract.

"It is possible (Pienaar could leave) but it is also possible he will stay at the club. I am not saying he is leaving the club because that is not true.

"What I think is there are two different options. One is to get a new contract but if he did not he would be looking for a solution. He goes to the World Cup this summer and that would be a good way for Everton to make money from it.''

Moyes is obviously reluctant to let one of his star players go, particularly to his city rivals, and warned: "Pienaar is at a club that really suits him and sometimes a player has to decide what is best for him. Everton has been good for Steven. If anybody wanted to leave, they'd be poorer for it."

What do you guys think? Will he improve our team? Is he a better winger Maxi, Benayoun, Babel, Riera and Kuyt? I'm not too sure... he has been one of the better players for everton this season and always looked lively... but with the amount of players that we have who can play on the wings right now, I'm not sure if a winger should be a priority. In fact Maxi is doing pretty well recently...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:02 am

I agree he has looked a good player but we are starting to accumulate a lot of players who can play in that position, so it may be a case of buy before we can sell. There are prob more priority areas to strengthen but would not complain if we did sign Pienaar.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 pm

I'd rather have Arteta, to be honest. He has more vision than Pienaar, though Pienaar's workrate is fantastic...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Owzat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Pienaas got 10 yellows and a red card last season, I was expecting it to be a few more. Re Arteta, he's made of plastic isn't he............? 16 games last season
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to The Rumour Mill