Darren bent - Good enough

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby johnlennon » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:56 pm

mr_weed_80@hotmail.com wrote:what about benni mccarthy???
hes a proven goal scorer in the prem, going through his prime and will not cost our life savings so the americans can keep there :censored: holes stiched up   :D

i heard he is chelski bound guys nearly a done deal, my cousin works for sky sports news and he reckons its only a matter of time

but i agree he would be a great signing
when you walk in the storm..............
johnlennon

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:43 pm

I'm just not convinced by Bent to be honest.  He's a good goalscorer and his link-up play is decent but not exceptional.  His pace is his major weapon, but for me he relies too much on hanging on the last defender and using pure pace to sprint in behind.  His movement doesn't look particularly clever to me and his goals-to-shots ratio I can't imagine being fantastic.

He's the type of player I'd snap up for the 5-7 million bracket, but when you're talking over 10 million I think he's too much of a gamble.  When you talk 16-17 million I don't think we should even be talking about him.

At a top four club with defences lying a lot deeper it takes more than pure pace to break them down, as Bellamy discovered last season.  I just haven't seen enough from Bent to justify that sort of fee.

Benni McCarty's also been mentioned.  I like him but last summer was the time to take a gamble on him, not now.  He's had a great season but I'm not entirely convinced it wasn't a flash in the pan.  Gudjohnsen's also been mentioned.  For me no way.  IMO Mourinho ruined a very good second striker by playing him as a bit-part centre-mid for 2 seasons.  These days he looks like he has no killer instinct in and around the box compared to his early days.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KOPMATT » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:59 pm

stmichael wrote:Not even remotely good enough to be playing for us. If we want to win the league next season we need to sign better players than Bent.

Absolutely 100% agree!
KOPMATT

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:03 pm

Would you say the same about Bent as Milito?

His goalscoring ratio is very similar and Milito contributes even less to the build up play.

If so would you also value Milito at between £5-7m?

I have a feeling that Bent is often prejudiced for being at a club like Charlton and being English. Foreign strikers may appear flashy but when you analyse and compare him with others he stands up pretty well - not against the likes of Eto'o and co., but the Militos, forlans and Trezeguets.

I don't consider Bent the type of player we need as he lacks that special quality and ability in close control that others like Tevez have but I wouldn't rule him out.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to The Rumour Mill