Scott parker

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:39 am

Dundalk wrote:Peter 'Scott' Parker

reckon he would make a great keeper.
JoeTerp

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 am

bigmick wrote:I'm not convinced it's genuine, but even if it is I think people are adding two and two together and not getting the right answer. You need four central midfielders who are credible, just like you need four centre halves and four strikers. Now if Alonso goes we have Mash who is a no argument, Lucas who still has something to prove, Plessis who isn't good enough, and Gerrard if you don't mind being a striker short. We almost certainly needed a central midfielder even if Alonso stayed, and we will probably need two if he goes.

see if he goes, we are presumeably going to bring in a very good player from abroad who's never played in the Premiership (Cambiasso or somebody like that). He's got to settle which can take time, and if he doesn't we have Lucas who many remain deeply unconvinced about. As an insurance policy, you need a good quality, experienced, no nonsense midfielder who you can absolutely rely on to come in and do a good job when needed.

Rafa has already said we need to be almost perfect next season, and we do. We all remember the "I don't fecking believe this place" comments each time we drew with relegation fodder at home and someone said it wan't a great result, but the reality was and is that those results cost us the title. We can't afford three months while some Carlos Kickaball finds his feet in central midfield. You'll get away with it at left midfield, but not central mid. Far better to get your overseas schemer in and let him settle gradually, someone like Parker could dove-tail with a new fella perfectly. Blackburn Away, Everton Away in the first three months of the season, lovely jubbly for Parker. Let the new bloke play against Burnley at Home and the like to get his bearings.

I think if Rafa sees Parker as a permanent and like for like replacement for Alonso it says two things to us. Firstly it says that Rafa doesn't or didn't consider Xabi's "unseen" work and tempo setting abilites as being overly important, and secondly that he intends playing with two defensive midfielders despite the evidence last season that a more attacking approach is called for. I don't think either of those is the case, Parker is going to be an "option" and a "possibility" if he comes. I'd be all for it myself under those circumstances.

Good post.

Ideally if we kept Alonso, we'd sell Lucas and get in a proper back up like Parker, but assuming Alonso's on his way which looks likely, then the idea of signing someone like Parker (along with a Cambiasso or whoever) as an insurance policy is a very sensible idea because Lucas is very unreliable and you need at least three dead certs in there.

Though I don't expect he'd come for less than £8m unless his contract runs out in a year's time - he's that important to them. Given that likelihood then it may come down to spending all (or almost all) of the Alonso money on securing the centre of midfield. It could be, say £20m for a Cambiasso and £10m for Parker or variant of. That gives you your three dead certs, your Gerrard as a fourth covering option, and Lucas in case swine flu breaks out :laugh:

In effect then we could just be fixing a hole, and any outstanding funds would preclude strengthening to the Silva degree i.e. anywhere close to the £20m mark. The other alternative would be to sign just the one midfielder, the 'Cambiasso', and one top-quality and versatile creative forward, slipping Gerrard back into the midfield as a third choice if absolutely necessary. The latter is the riskier option, but potentially the more attractive one in an attacking sense as you allow funds for the £20m forward. I'd do what you say, though, because you do need at leat three dead certs in midfield and having to mix up the system with Gerrard coming back, moving a new forward in etc.. is otherwise too risky.

Decisions, decisions...  :O  :upside:
LFC2007

Postby aCe' » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:32 am

Parkers a good player... ahd his best season 7 years ago with Charlton but still wouldnt quite call everything that came after that "sht" or even mediocre... hes been WestHams most impressive player last year and WestHam did very well under Zola imo...
anyways, 28 games he played in the league for them, 1 goal and 3 assists... not bad but nothing to brag about either... solid little player and i expect him to be 3rd choice ahead of Lucas... dont think Rafa is planning on changing the setup and any player we bring in will be under the risk of not adapting fast enough to our setup or style of play.. Lucas and parker should provide good enough backup for whoever we have playing in the middle next season... If we manage to bring in someone like Sneijder or Aquilani, who are both way more attacking in their style of play than Alonso ever is/was, then that would make the Parker deal even better...
Against the top sides and in the CL knockout stages we'll probably need to line up in a defensive manner.. having a Sneijder-Mascherano partnership in such games wouldnt do the trick i wouldnt think... which again, is where Parker comes in... the big games where we need to focus more on the defensive side of things..

Cheer up people, just think of him as our Darren Fletcher  :D , could prove important in the big games but expendable against 9/10 sides...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:17 am

Nanny he is a decent player.
Not in Alonsos league but a good player nonetheless.

I also cant believe that we would get him for 4 million, he is worth more than that surely ?

He is definately the type of player that could come in straight away and would be consistent and steady.
We would still need another top centre mid.

Tell you what, i would be more than happy if we got Sneijder as part of the Alonso deal and brought in Parker and Silva.

That would give us a much more rounded and better balanced squad.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:14 am

Parker is no replacement for Xabi but can add to the squad as he is definitely English that helps with the FiFA home grown rule. Secondly, he add some much needed experience and is an upgrade over Plessis and Lucas. But he is not the answer and never will. Much get some quality CM or have Steven back in central rule while sign a top notch forward to play with Torres.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:18 am

Ace Ventura wrote:Nanny he is a decent player.
Not in Alonsos league but a good player nonetheless.

I also cant believe that we would get him for 4 million, he is worth more than that surely ?

He is definately the type of player that could come in straight away and would be consistent and steady.
We would still need another top centre mid.

Tell you what, i would be more than happy if we got Sneijder as part of the Alonso deal and brought in Parker and Silva.

That would give us a much more rounded and better balanced squad.

Sorry Ace i dont often disagree with what you post . but im not having this one mate , Scott freckin Parker :no Im telling you if Rafa signs him im gonna seriously question his mentality,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:42 am

Its on that goal,com an all, :( just been havin a nosy an some lad has said it ,

I hope it it silva but the story doing the rounds on some of the forums is were interested in Scott Parker

gutted here
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ElNino9 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:20 pm

Scott Parker aint good enough for W.Ham so why would he be good enough for Liverpool? There are plenty more fish in the sea.
ElNino9

Postby Rorschach26 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Scott Parker?!?!?!?  :censored: That
Rorschach26

Postby ElNino9 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Rorschach26 :laugh:
ElNino9

Postby GRAHAM01 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:15 pm

omg parker i just heard about it and i don't think he would be good enough for us i hope we don't get him but i heard we are close to getting the deal done ???
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:20 pm

GRAHAM01 wrote:omg parker i just heard about it and i don't think he would be good enough for us i hope we don't get him but i heard we are close to getting the deal done ???

I think he is decent.

Where did you hear the deal is close ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:24 pm

LINK

Image   :O :O
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Mate anyone even me and you can go in and edit info on Wiki. But I would be happy with him tbh. He is English and I think he would work well under Rafa. How much would it be for? Not much I imagine.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:36 pm

I was just reading up on him and seen this.

Whatever he may cost Bav Id prefer if we looked elsewhere
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill