Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:11 pm

Ian Doyle is saying we pulled out over the fee which we all knew was going to happen.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:48 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:11 pm wrote:Ian Doyle is saying we pulled out over the fee which we all knew was going to happen.

£52m seems pretty modest to me given what some players have gone for in recent years.
Maybe the club thinks this corona virus thing has re-calibrated the market, if it has Chelsea don’t seem to be taking any notice of it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:26 pm

I dont know if Werner was right for us or not but I do hope they are looking at other options as we cannot afford to stand still for another season whilst all our competitors are strengthening their sqauds.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Strange one as he was desperate to play for us (according to his comments), Klopp talked to him and he has scored goals at every team he played for. This seemed a sure thing and at 50 million it was a good shout, I hope we have a better player lined up.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:57 pm

Covid will have hurt the finances significantly just like with other clubs - not just his fee but the wages and agents fees put it way over £100mil outlay and that’s a big chunk for someone who isn’t better than our current front three
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:57 pm wrote:Covid will have hurt the finances significantly just like with other clubs - not just his fee but the wages and agents fees put it way over £100mil outlay and that’s a big chunk for someone who isn’t better than our current front three

Our front three are all world class so hard to be better than that, he is not better but he is 4 years younger and good enough to replace them. I would say he is better now than any of our front three were when they were his age. Anyway, onwards and upwards.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby electrum » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:50 pm

kazza » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:09 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:57 pm wrote:Covid will have hurt the finances significantly just like with other clubs - not just his fee but the wages and agents fees put it way over £100mil outlay and that’s a big chunk for someone who isn’t better than our current front three

Our front three are all world class so hard to be better than that, he is not better but he is 4 years younger and good enough to replace them. I would say he is better now than any of our front three were when they were his age. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Agree with this.

"Not as good as our front three" is a complete non-argument as there are about 3 or 4 players on the planet who are better than Salah and Mane and what Bobby does , no one does better. As a trio there are probably none better.

Werner isn't the be all and end all , however to lose out on him to one of the teams that will be a big threat if not the biggest over the next few years is particularly galling,

The question we need to ask is who better than him for that price that can GENUINELY challenge our front three and provide enough QUALITY as a backup?
This needs to be addressed this summer as our three have played pretty much non stop for two years and if one of them is out for a few months we will battle for top 4, Origi, Minamino et al although very good players are not at the level we need.

I just hope we don't go back to the bargain basement and lose our momentum taking time to unearth, train and refine the next gem.
Klopp is excellent at it but we need a top drawer front man ready made to avoid the massive drop in quality we have at the moment when one of the trio can't play/ is injured.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby redshade » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:46 pm

Gutted that we missed out on Werner, really wanted him here. Chelsea will be going going forward, some decent attacking line up they'll have.

Anyhow, we move on from Werner, hope we do snap a quality attacker.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:15 pm

Our front 3 are among the best in the game but not every game. Mane is the most consistent but the other 2 can disappear quite often for weeks at a time. We keep playing them no matter how out of form they are and regardless of how fit they might be because the alternatives are still worse.

Werner would have been a good fit for us and with the way klopp works new players in it would be a few months before he was a regular even from the bench. If it were up to klopp then I firmly believe he would be here.

Plenty of clubs will lose money during this current climate just like every household out there. They are losing gate receipts and match day revenues but not as much as some other clubs that have smaller grounds and bigger debts. We don't suffer like that because we pretty much get the most money from the league have a bigger stadium and no debt. We have just signed a whopper deal with Nike as well and somehow we can't sign a player like this without citing another poor excuse.

Klopp deserves an award for being the best manager in the world for what he has done with us in the last few years.

Anyway there is talk that he hasn't penned for them yet so hopefully we can still pull something off. He would make us better and that fee isnt extortionate either for a lad of his calibre.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:20 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:23 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:15 pm wrote:Our front 3 are among the best in the game but not every game. Mane is the most consistent but the other 2 can disappear quite often for weeks at a time. We keep playing them no matter how out of form they are and regardless of how fit they might be because the alternatives are still worse.

Werner would have been a good fit for us and with the way klopp works new players in it would be a few months before he was a regular even from the bench. If it were up to klopp then I firmly believe he would be here.

Plenty of clubs will lose money during this current climate just like every household out there. They are losing gate receipts and match day revenues but not as much as some other clubs that have smaller grounds and bigger debts. We don't suffer like that because we pretty much get the most money from the league have a bigger stadium and no debt. We have just signed a whopper deal with Nike as well and somehow we can't sign a player like this without citing another poor excuse.

Klopp deserves an award for being the best manager in the world for what he has done with us in the last few years.

Anyway there is talk that he hasn't penned for them yet so hopefully we can still pull something off. He would make us better and that fee isnt extortionate either for a lad of his calibre.

The Nike deal isn’t a big deal upfront , only £30mil , biggest money from the deal comes from selling the shirts .

Also this explains the level of financial losses we will have

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/06/l ... ronavirus/
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:47 pm

According to sky sports (quoting Leipzig’s managing director) it is in the players hands and no deal has been finalized yet.

Yet again a quote from Klopp

"At the moment, all clubs are losing money. Without spectators, we have to pay back the season tickets and probably sell none next year. At least maybe without the first 10 or 15 games. The VIP areas won't be packed and the tickets won't be sold. This will have an impact on other partners and things will look a bit different.

"Discussing with the players about things like salary waivers and on the other hand buying a player for £50-60m, we have to explain."

Clubs are going to hemorrhage cash and that reality will certainly have an effect
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:59 am

It'll be a quiet summer. I don't think we'll be buying anyone and nor should we. Klopp's 100% correct - the clubs can't ask the players to take pay freeze or reductions and then splash £60m on a new star. I think come the new season we'll look just like we do now - League Champions!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:48 pm

To be fair when put like that I agree with it as well, the club did the right thing re the furlough and took it on the chin, bit rich to start expecting them to start chucking tens of millions around given what’s happened over the last few months.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:47 am

Wonder if it's true that Didi has advised Kai Havertz to go to the Chavs....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill