Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Not sure where to stick this post so here it is.

Watching our young lads knocking Everton out of the cup I found myself wondering

WTF has happend to Marko Grujic ? If he was here . surely he could have had a place in this team selection ?

Once hailed as a future star AND Klopps first signing for LFC in Jan 2016.
The fella has spent most of the last four years out on loan at Cardiff and currently Hertha Berlin.
I fear that this is another rough diamond we may have failed to polish. He's had positive reviews where ever he's played but can't help wondering how much more of a player he may have been if he'd of had more time at LFC under Klopps guidance.

Now approaching 24 years old (april) it looks like there's no real future for him at Liverpool, think its a shame. Not sure when his contract with us expires but would love to see the fella back in Liverpool as part of our squad and given the chance, even if it's just with the "second string" to show what he can do.

Any thoughts lads ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:56 pm

Wasn't he Klopp's first signing as well?
As you say mate he seems to have fallen off the radar somewhat, he was earning rave reviews a while back but I haven't heard anything of late.
Given he arrived here only a couple of months after Jurgen he can't have that long left on his contract.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:15 pm

He seemed like a Gerrard type player when he came but we seem to have moved away from that, I actually think Gerrard will have trouble fitting in this team. I think he does not have the guile and intelligence of Fabinho or the energy and speed of our other midfielders. Due a lot to the improvement of Robertson and Trent, our team has evolved into one of the best teams in the world and I don’t think he really fits in the way we play. We need a Fabinho type player in the middle and then two hard working runners around him, I don't see Grujic able to play either role in that midfield without a loss in performance.

Just my opinion of him but I did like him when he came and him playing in Germany means I don’t see as much of him so harder to follow him development.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:10 pm

I think Gruijic was a "bargain buy" kind of signing. I think the first 2 years Klopp was balancing the books while getting rid of the deadwood. I think Klopp saw Gruijic as a player with potential to evolve into a first teamer.. But we have better players as of now and unfortunately we've improved as a team quicker than Gruijic has improved as a player. I think he'll be sold at the end of the season.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:11 pm

Actually I think Grujic signed a new contract last year. Klopp said that he's very much in his future plans and likes the way he's been developing.

I think the lad was unlucky with injuries at one point, and then a lot of midfielders arrived and there was just no room for him, it was smarter to let him go on loan. As for signing the new contract, Klopp probably considered him as a back up player for all 3 midfield positions once Milner and Lallana leave, or he just signed a new contract so he doesn't leave on a free and to up his price (we can easily get some £20m from him at this point I think). Considering Milner just signed a new deal and Jones is coming through the ranks, I think the latter seemes more likely now. Unfortunate, as he had the potential, but that's football.
Last edited by damjan193 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:26 pm

kazza » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:15 pm wrote:He seemed like a Gerrard type player when he came but we seem to have moved away from that, I actually think Gerrard will have trouble fitting in this team. I think he does not have the guile and intelligence of Fabinho or the energy and speed of our other midfielders. Due a lot to the improvement of Robertson and Trent, our team has evolved into one of the best teams in the world and I don’t think he really fits in the way we play. We need a Fabinho type player in the middle and then two hard working runners around him, I don't see Grujic able to play either role in that midfield without a loss in performance.

Just my opinion of him but I did like him when he came and him playing in Germany means I don’t see as much of him so harder to follow him development.

Effin joking aren't you? Gerrard would be the first name down on Jurgen's team sheet
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby chriserfolg » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:10 am

kazza » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:15 pm wrote:He seemed like a Gerrard type player when he came but we seem to have moved away from that, I actually think Gerrard will have trouble fitting in this team. I think he does not have the guile and intelligence of Fabinho or the energy and speed of our other midfielders. Due a lot to the improvement of Robertson and Trent, our team has evolved into one of the best teams in the world and I don’t think he really fits in the way we play. We need a Fabinho type player in the middle and then two hard working runners around him, I don't see Grujic able to play either role in that midfield without a loss in performance.

Seriously , Gerrard ? He would fit into almost any team and make it better , that's the immense quality that he had.
chriserfolg
LFC Basic Member

Postby kazza » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:10 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:26 pm wrote:
kazza » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:15 pm wrote:He seemed like a Gerrard type player when he came but we seem to have moved away from that, I actually think Gerrard will have trouble fitting in this team. I think he does not have the guile and intelligence of Fabinho or the energy and speed of our other midfielders. Due a lot to the improvement of Robertson and Trent, our team has evolved into one of the best teams in the world and I don’t think he really fits in the way we play. We need a Fabinho type player in the middle and then two hard working runners around him, I don't see Grujic able to play either role in that midfield without a loss in performance.

Effin joking aren't you? Gerrard would be the first name down on Jurgen's team sheet

Steven Gerrard was the best Liverpool player of all time, my favorite player but he did not have the discipline to play in the team we have now, he would have been at odds with Klopp. We will never know but that is my opinion. It does not mean I think Gerrard was not good enough as I said in the beginning, my favorite player but he was all instinct and Klopp likes robots. Gerrard was pure natural talent, not “ a coach’s player” like the midfielders we have.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:49 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:51 pm

Just love how they write that we signed Minamino for 7 million to then write that Sancho, who will cost around 100 million, is next in line.
Only chance of that happening is if one of the front 3 decided to leave in the summer. Otherwise, no dice.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:19 pm

Klopps former No2 Buvac recommended Grujic and I would like to think they boy still has a shot at Liverpool. Done everything the club has asked and in my opinion would develop more under Klopp than at Hertha Berlin. I'm not giving up on him just yet.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:44 pm

Penguins » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:51 pm wrote:Just love how they write that we signed Minamino for 7 million to then write that Sancho, who will cost around 100 million, is next in line.
Only chance of that happening is if one of the front 3 decided to leave in the summer. Otherwise, no dice.
If any of the front 3 left I'd use the money and go straight for Mbappe. No way would Sancho contribute more than what we get from our current front 3.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:28 am

UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 pm wrote:
Penguins » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:51 pm wrote:Just love how they write that we signed Minamino for 7 million to then write that Sancho, who will cost around 100 million, is next in line.
If any of the front 3 left I'd use the money and go straight for Mbappe. No way would Sancho contribute more than what we get from our current front 3.

Agreed, we have the money and we should go all out
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:42 pm

kazza » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:28 am wrote:
UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 pm wrote:

Agreed, we have the money and we should go all out

It's reported that Salah is our highest earner at 200k a week. It's reported that Mbappe is on £350k a week at PSG. Real Madrid's revenue is about £200mil a year more than us so they can offer him a similar or higher wage than he's on now. I think the Mbappe ship has sailed. Sancho would be a more realistic target if one of the front 3 moved in the summer.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Mbappe ?

All this talk of money to one side, financially the guy is already set for life.

The fella could go to any team he wants too, guess it's up to him now as to what his priorities are. Even more money or playing for the world champions in the toughest league on the planet.

Anybody know if he's even half way interested in joining us ? ? ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill