Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:38 pm

£65m for a highly rated 19 year old is buttons given he's still 6/7 years away from his footballing prime. Most players you look at and think we might get 4 or 5 good years out of him, Pulisic has at least a decade of top level footy in him.
That's assuming he doesn't do a Torres/Alonso/Mascherano/Sterling/Suarez and Coutinho and f**k off on us of course.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:15 am

4 years ago a player like Pulisic would have cost 20mill at the most. He hasnt done much in the game to prove he's worth the money. Allisson and Van Dijk made sense because they're amongst the 5-10 best players in the world in their position. They're also young enough to demand a similar fee to what was paid should they decide to leave in 2-3 years. Pulisic will find it hard to get into the side ahead of Shaqiri, nevermind our front 3. If we were going after a Isco, Thiago or someone who would walk straight into out starting 11 it would make more sense.
Only reason I could see the club (not necessarily Klopp) push for the signing of Pulisic is for the marketing value and shirt sales.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:12 am

aCe' » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 pm wrote:4 years ago a player like Pulisic would have cost 20mill at the most. He hasnt done much in the game to prove he's worth the money. Allisson and Van Dijk made sense because they're amongst the 5-10 best players in the world in their position. They're also young enough to demand a similar fee to what was paid should they decide to leave in 2-3 years. Pulisic will find it hard to get into the side ahead of Shaqiri, nevermind our front 3. If we were going after a Isco, Thiago or someone who would walk straight into out starting 11 it would make more sense.
Only reason I could see the club (not necessarily Klopp) push for the signing of Pulisic is for the marketing value and shirt sales.

I'd say you have not watched him play much. I don't know how many goals he has scored or his assists, pass percentage etc but watching him play it is clear there is a future star there. Four years ago 20 million was a lot of money probably as much as 65 million is now. If he was German I'd say the same thing. He is not the finished article but he'll have a high ceiling barring an injury. In my opinion he will be well worth 65 million and the fact that Munich, Chelsea, Real Madrid, ManUre are linked to him probably speaks volumes.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:02 pm

kazza » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:12 am wrote:
aCe' » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 pm wrote:4 years ago a player like Pulisic would have cost 20mill at the most. He hasnt done much in the game to prove he's worth the money. Allisson and Van Dijk made sense because they're amongst the 5-10 best players in the world in their position. They're also young enough to demand a similar fee to what was paid should they decide to leave in 2-3 years. Pulisic will find it hard to get into the side ahead of Shaqiri, nevermind our front 3. If we were going after a Isco, Thiago or someone who would walk straight into out starting 11 it would make more sense.

I'd say you have not watched him play much. I don't know how many goals he has scored or his assists, pass percentage etc but watching him play it is clear there is a future star there. Four years ago 20 million was a lot of money probably as much as 65 million is now. If he was German I'd say the same thing. He is not the finished article but he'll have a high ceiling barring an injury. In my opinion he will be well worth 65 million and the fact that Munich, Chelsea, Real Madrid, ManUre are linked to him probably speaks volumes.

If any of the sides you mentioned were serious about him they would have signed him already. O.Dembele was/is the better prospect and that is the reason Barcelona paid almost double what Pulisic was going for. He only has1 full season under his belt (scored 4 in league in 27 starts).

I'm not saying he wont become a top player I'm saying it's too early to say he's worth 65mill. It's also not the type of money we should be paying for a gamble. The likes of City, Bayern and Madrid are in a much stronger position than we are and can afford to pay 65mill for a squad player.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 pm

aCe' » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:02 pm wrote:
kazza » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:12 am wrote:

If any of the sides you mentioned were serious about him they would have signed him already. O.Dembele was/is the better prospect and that is the reason Barcelona paid almost double what Pulisic was going for. He only has1 full season under his belt (scored 4 in league in 27 starts).

I'm not saying he wont become a top player I'm saying it's too early to say he's worth 65mill. It's also not the type of money we should be paying for a gamble. The likes of City, Bayern and Madrid are in a much stronger position than we are and can afford to pay 65mill for a squad player.

I totally concur,Pulisic is the weaker alternative to the players mentioned above and coupled with the reported and 'frankly exorbitant fee it would be a huge gamble on our behalf.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:29 am

I agree with Ace's point, it would probably be for the marketing value, FSG being American and having the darling of the US team at our club would have tremendous marketing value stateside I would think.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:48 pm

Boocity » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:29 am wrote:I agree with Ace's point, it would probably be for the marketing value, FSG being American and having the darling of the US team at our club would have tremendous marketing value stateside I would think.

I agree although I do believe football is on the wane stateside so not sure about what marketing potential he would have. Plenty of premier league clubs have descended on the USA this year but other than ourselves they are playing to half empty stadiums.
Serves them right imo because 60 to 250 bucks to watch a few kids and maybe get a glimpse of your hero is ridiculous. I have 2 tickets to the Napoli game that cost €92 each inc booking fee  :down: I will enjoy seeing the new players in a cellotaped 11 but its a rip off.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Boocity » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:29 am wrote:I agree with Ace's point, it would probably be for the marketing value, FSG being American and having the darling of the US team at our club would have tremendous marketing value stateside I would think.

I think he offers more than just that and will have a higher ceiling than the other names we are looking at. He is only 19 and to be a starter for a big team playing as an attacking midfielder in a tough league.... I think he will be regarded as world class soon enough and 65 million might end up as cheap.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:45 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:48 pm wrote:
Boocity » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:29 am wrote:I agree with Ace's point, it would probably be for the marketing value, FSG being American and having the darling of the US team at our club would have tremendous marketing value stateside I would think.

I agree although I do believe football is on the wane stateside so not sure about what marketing potential he would have. Plenty of premier league clubs have descended on the USA this year but other than ourselves they are playing to half empty stadiums.

I do believe football is on the wane stateside

:wwww  Mate ! are you sure ?

Over a hundred thousand people attended the "friendly" between ourselves and Man U   :p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:57 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
red till i die!! » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:48 pm wrote:

I do believe football is on the wane stateside

:wwww  Mate ! are you sure ?

Over a hundred thousand people attended the "friendly" between ourselves and Man U   :p

That game would sell out anywhere in the world Woof but I did say other than ourselves  :D

City, Spurs and Manure were playing their games in half full stadiums and in one of the games I watched on Fox the pundits were discussing the very low attendances. They spoke about the numbers of people taking up the sport dropping year on year and missing out on the WC they don't expect it to change. They also discussed ticket prices as well being another factor.

Not saying its dying out or anything but just maybe losing its popularity among the youth.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 pm

I think it's a case of fans around the world knowing their footy these days, they know who the top players are and they are not going to pay top dollar to watch a glorified U23 game.
If clubs want to start selling out 100,000 stadiums then they need to start fielding better sides.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 pm

If there is a chance to get Pulisic now I reckon it's worth it. In a couple of years time he could cost twice as much and we'd be competing with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd, etc. Maybe a Keita like deal where we leave him at Dortmund for a year would convince them to sell this summer.

I still reckon we'll do one more deal for an attacking player whether it's Fekir, Pulisic or someone else.
Eagle

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:52 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 pm wrote:I think it's a case of fans around the world knowing their footy these days, they know who the top players are and they are not going to pay top dollar to watch a glorified U23 game.
If clubs want to start selling out 100,000 stadiums then they need to start fielding better sides.

And to think there was ONLY 4,200 at Chester three weeks ago!
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:52 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 pm wrote:I think it's a case of fans around the world knowing their footy these days, they know who the top players are and they are not going to pay top dollar to watch a glorified U23 game.

And to think there was ONLY 4,200 at Chester three weeks ago!

The World Cup and the lack of a participating US team has a lot to do with lack of ticket sales.
As pointed out Chester and Bury were both played during the world cup with the latter taking place at the same time England played.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Eagle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 pm wrote:If there is a chance to get Pulisic now I reckon it's worth it. In a couple of years time he could cost twice as much and we'd be competing with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd, etc. Maybe a Keita like deal where we leave him at Dortmund for a year would convince them to sell this summer.

I still reckon we'll do one more deal for an attacking player whether it's Fekir, Pulisic or someone else.

Woodburn has now gone on loan. Perhaps this paves the way for new blood?
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first- ... nited-loan
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill