Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Eagle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:02 pm

Don't care how much we spend on players and who we buy them from. If Klopp carries on bringing in Manes and Matips it's only a matter of time before we win the league.
Eagle

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:40 pm

Eagle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:02 pm wrote:Don't care how much we spend on players and who we buy them from. If Klopp carries on bringing in Manes and Matips it's only a matter of time before we win the league.

+1  :nod
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:05 pm

7_Kewell » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:42 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:09 pm wrote:I wouldn't mind Hart tbh, I think he could do a similar job for us to what Van Der Saar did for United, as an out-and-out shot stopper Mingolet is probably better than Hart but I just think Joe is less likely to crumble under pressure. I do think it's all academic anyway, no way would City sell him to us, they are not going to help one of their rivals out of a hole, it would be like us selling Arsenal Sturridge if they had a striker crisis.
I think we do need to sign at least one top quality player though, I know we spent decent money on Mane in the summer but the truth is £35m isnt that much anymore, the clubs who we are competing against now regularly spend more than that on the likes of Pogba, Stones, Sanchez, Ozil, Sterling, Martial, Di Maria, Mata etc etc.

Pogba, Stone, Martial have all been poor, poor signings. As was Di Maria. All big money players who have done f**k all. Sterling has slowly improved at City, but I've yet to meet one of their fans who thinks he's worth the money they paid us. I wouldn't have Ozil here either and the fact the lad wants £200+ a week is hilarious  :laugh: 

So out of those 8 big money players, just 2 are not sh!t. Point proven.

Pogba wasn't worth £100m but he's a top player who is starting to come good, he will become a real force in the English game over the next few years. Stones is only 22 which is very young for a CB, central defenders don't reach their peak until their late 20's/early 30's so he's got time on his side, he will be a top player too. As for Ozil I have to admit I've never been that impressed by him myself but the best people to judge a player are the people who watch him week in week out and Arsenal fans seem to think he's world class so he can't be that bad.
My point is that there is no substitute for class, you don't always have to spend a fortune to get it (i.e Coutinho) but without quality players you will win nothing. What we shouldn't do is repeat the mistakes of the Rodgers era and buy 6 or 7 mid priced players, I'd rather we spent all that money on one top player who will walk into the starting XI that fritter the money away on squad fodder, we need to get our money out on the pitch not sitting in the stands or out on loan somewhere.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:37 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:09 pm wrote:I wouldn't mind Hart tbh, I think he could do a similar job for us to what Van Der Saar did for United, as an out-and-out shot stopper Mingolet is probably better than Hart but I just think Joe is less likely to crumble under pressure. I do think it's all academic anyway, no way would City sell him to us, they are not going to help one of their rivals out of a hole, it would be like us selling Arsenal Sturridge if they had a striker crisis.
I think we do need to sign at least one top quality player though, I know we spent decent money on Mane in the summer but the truth is £35m isnt that much anymore, the clubs who we are competing against now regularly spend more than that on the likes of Pogba, Stones, Sanchez, Ozil, Sterling, Martial, Di Maria, Mata etc etc.
I know we aren't going to be signing a Bale or a Neymar anytime soon but a club of our size and stature should be able to sign the likes of Van Dijk, Dahoud and Pulisic, if we are not in the running for even them then I just can't see how we can compete.

Exactly what I mean mate... even though latest reports indicates Man City is bidding 50 million for Van Dijk, probably puts us out of the race for his sig...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:48 pm

This is just how crazy the game is. £50m is madness. Matip for nothing is the sort of deals that are out there if you are shrewd.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Julian Draxler anyone?
Out of form and probably struggled to live up to his potential. But if anyone can get it out of him surely Klopp's the man?
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:52 pm

johnbarnes » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:33 pm wrote:Julian Draxler anyone?
Out of form and probably struggled to live up to his potential. But if anyone can get it out of him surely Klopp's the man?

He'd be a great signing, I saw him on the telly last year playing for Wolfsburg against United at Old Trafford and he absolutely ran the show, tall and classy, reminded me a lot of Ray Kennedy. Apparently he's on the verge of signing for PSG though which is a real pity because at 23 he's just about to enter the best 6 or 7 years of his career.
Yes his form has dipped a bit but that's because his own fans have started to boo him after he announced that he'd reached the stage in his career where he wants to play for a bigger club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Apparently we are moving in for him (draxler) and he's a got a choice between PSG, Arsenal and us... I hope Klopp's german connection can persuade him to join us...

On separate news, we are being linked with Joe Hart...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Looks like Draxlers gone to PSG which will be good for him financially, great city, but football wise not so good, its a very poor domestic competition.

Wonder if we tried to hijack the deal if Klopp got a whiff of the PSG deal stalling.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:40 pm

maguskwt » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:13 pm wrote:Apparently we are moving in for him (draxler) and he's a got a choice between PSG, Arsenal and us... I hope Klopp's german connection can persuade him to join us...

On separate news, we are being linked with Joe Hart...

God, I hope that rumour about us trying to sign Draxler is true!
As for Hart we can't sign him until the summer anyway mate because he's already played for 2 clubs this season (apparently players aren't allowed to play for 3 seperate clubs in a single season)
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Not sure why most think we can't afford to spend £50 mil on a player. The club has taken massive strides in the last few years and we have plenty of sponsorships, Bigger TV money, Increased capacity and a lower wage bill so surely that figure would be nothing to us to spend on the odd player. We certainly look for that figure when we are selling our own stars. I do acknowledge that city, Chelsea and manure have deeper pockets and ultimately we cannot compete with that but considering clubs like palace and everton are now spending £30 mil on players we should be capable of much more. Its also worth pointing out that we turned a profit in the last window so hopefully the reason for that is because who the manager wants wasn't available at the time but when they are, the £50 mil won't be a problem. This is the stage we are or should be at, as in putting the finishing touches of quality to the side. Anything that comes in now should be a direct replacement for someone in the first 11 and not someone that might be in a few years.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Sounds as though Draxler to PSG is near enough done
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Doeboy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:55 pm wrote:Sounds as though Draxler to PSG is near enough done

We more than likely left it too late to get involved, apparently Draxler has the same agent as Firmino and Karius as well but we were probably more interested in signing Pulisic.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:05 am

red till i die!! » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:42 pm wrote:Not sure why most think we can't afford to spend £50 mil on a player. The club has taken massive strides in the last few years and we have plenty of sponsorships, Bigger TV money, Increased capacity and a lower wage bill so surely that figure would be nothing to us to spend on the odd player. We certainly look for that figure when we are selling our own stars. I do acknowledge that city, Chelsea and manure have deeper pockets and ultimately we cannot compete with that but considering clubs like palace and everton are now spending £30 mil on players we should be capable of much more. Its also worth pointing out that we turned a profit in the last window so hopefully the reason for that is because who the manager wants wasn't available at the time but when they are, the £50 mil won't be a problem. This is the stage we are or should be at, as in putting the finishing touches of quality to the side. Anything that comes in now should be a direct replacement for someone in the first 11 and not someone that might be in a few years.

We maybe able to afford it but so far we never do mate. Once FSG thinks the player price has been inflated due to one reason or another, they won't go for it. This is the criticism I have for FSG, even though the policy maybe sound from financial stand point, sometimes you just need to go for quality especially for positions that we need quality the most. However and admittedly I think Van Dijk isnt worth 50 million. At most 40. Geez we're talking about a defender here and as much as he looks very promising, he's also only been in the league for one season. What's next, keepers costing 50 million? These rich clubs are really spoiling the market.
What we should instead do is go in early and decisively for quality players before these oil money clubs have a sniff of them and don't fuss over a couple of millions or offer ridiculously low wages like they tried to do with dele alli
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:59 am

Van Dijk was bought for 13 million in the summer, that is when we should have bought him. We need to look on for the next one.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill