Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:13 pm

ALSO; We have Ings (who will be a great squad asset for sure) so I don't see a need for Hernandez (seem similar in style), unless we can get him on the cheap.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:43 pm

Hernandez is an excellent goalscorer and poacher in the box however don't think he fits the mould that JK would be looking for. Think JK prefers dynamic forwards, who when not scoring are still giving oppo defenders a headache by pressing,  chasing and hurrying them. Hernandez is not that kinda sriker
Doeboy

Postby maguskwt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:59 am

johnbarnes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 pm wrote:This season has been a tough one for all concerned, not just Big Ben. He offers a secondary path of play, which most teams can't cope with when he's on song + 32 mil seems rather wasteful for a striker who hasn't had a consistent strike partner to work with yet.
One more season and if he's not improved come next Jan, then sell him for 20m to China.
  :nod

The problem with Benteke is that I don't think he's the type of player who if he's starting from the bench will be effective. If he's not starting, he's low on confidence and if he's low on confidence, he doesn't score. For us we can't afford him to be a starter, we need a much more potent striker. To me the purchase of Benteke is a mistake!
And I'd swap him for chicharito any day even if it means loss of money.  22 goals in 26 appearances for leverkusen. There certainly won't be any loss in value. I don't even understand why the mancs didn't give him that much chance.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:59 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:03 am wrote:
C-R » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:58 pm wrote:Rumour... that we want to swap Benteke for Chicharito

http://www.90min.com/posts/2955883-live ... _aid=36575

I think Hernandez is a good player who would score goals for us and suit our style of play but I'm not sure about the idea of a straight swap. Benteke cost us £32m (an awful lot of money) were as Leverkuson bought Hernandez for £7m, what's more Hernandez is 28 in June.
I'd be up for it if Leverkusen threw a few quid in as well but a straight swap? Nah.

You cant be serious. I expect both Benteke and Hernandez to leave their clubs at the end of this season. Two things: First, I think Hernandez is going to move up a level and go to a CL club while Benteke will most probably take a sideways or downward step after being found out at this level. Second, I think the transfer fee for Hernandez (at 28) will be higher than that anyone would be willing to pay for Benteke.

If offered that deal, I'd take it in a second. And i'm not even a big fan of Hernandez.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:20 am

I have always rated Hernandez (pains me to say it) I would swap him in a breath but as aCe says a straight swap isn't a fair swap. Benteke is worth half what we paid for him and Hernandez has got to be pushing £35m at least
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:27 am

Exactly they might have transferred for £32m and £7m last year but we met Bentekes release clause which was way above his value and Chicarito was sold on the cheap. I'd guess Benteke at the moment is valued at around £15m-£18m and Chicarito will be about £20m-£23m. I would personally swap in a heartbeat.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:54 am

maguskwt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:59 am wrote:
johnbarnes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 pm wrote:This season has been a tough one for all concerned, not just Big Ben. He offers a secondary path of play, which most teams can't cope with when he's on song + 32 mil seems rather wasteful for a striker who hasn't had a consistent strike partner to work with yet.
One more season and if he's not improved come next Jan, then sell him for 20m to China.

The problem with Benteke is that I don't think he's the type of player who if he's starting from the bench will be effective. If he's not starting, he's low on confidence and if he's low on confidence, he doesn't score. For us we can't afford him to be a starter, we need a much more potent striker. To me the purchase of Benteke is a mistake!
And I'd swap him for chicharito any day even if it means loss of money.  22 goals in 26 appearances for leverkusen. There certainly won't be any loss in value. I don't even understand why the mancs didn't give him that much chance.

RE: chicharito - Hindsight is 20-20. The Mancs wouldn't have sold him if he showed the goalscoring threat he does now. Is this because the PL is a stronger league or is it the fact that he no longer plays with the kind of pressure that exists at Manure or potentially Anfield?
The same thing could happen with Big Ben. We sell him cheap then goes on to score a hat full of goals for another team. BB's age is also a factor as chicharito is headed towards 28 and the next big contract he signs will be his last. In Big Ben we have the potential to have a great forward, even if he isn't our no.1 striker.
Remember; Once upon a time no-one at LFC was guaranteed a starting place, we need to get back to those days.

PS
"To me the purchase of Benteke is a mistake!"
I think we all agree here, but we did buy him and at the price of 32m no less   :no
We can't afford to let such an asset walk out the door on the cheap - otherwise ticket prices will go up again; quicker than we all want.  :nod 
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:13 am

So clearly no-one thinks Danny Ings can do what Chicharito can do?
Chicharito - best record at Manure was 13 PL goals in 2010-11 season - he is now headed towards 28
Ings - best record 11 PL goals in 2014-15 season - he is now headed towards 24
----
Unless LFC know something about Danny Ings' long term fitness (basically he's on the scrap heap). I don't see the need to get Chicharito in as well...
IMO Danny Ings is one of the few signings that has proven to be worthy of its price tag at this club for years.
But if Chicharito is the best we can get - then so be it.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:23 pm

aCe' » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:59 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:03 am wrote:
C-R » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:58 pm wrote:Rumour... that we want to swap Benteke for Chicharito

http://www.90min.com/posts/2955883-live ... _aid=36575

I think Hernandez is a good player who would score goals for us and suit our style of play but I'm not sure about the idea of a straight swap. Benteke cost us £32m (an awful lot of money) were as Leverkuson bought Hernandez for £7m, what's more Hernandez is 28 in June.
I'd be up for it if Leverkusen threw a few quid in as well but a straight swap? Nah.

You cant be serious. I expect both Benteke and Hernandez to leave their clubs at the end of this season. Two things: First, I think Hernandez is going to move up a level and go to a CL club while Benteke will most probably take a sideways or downward step after being found out at this level. Second, I think the transfer fee for Hernandez (at 28) will be higher than that anyone would be willing to pay for Benteke.

If offered that deal, I'd take it in a second. And i'm not even a big fan of Hernandez.

I don't agree, Benteke only just turned 25 in December where as by the time Hernandez can kick a ball for another club he'll be 28. People are saying Hernandez will cost over £20m but I don't see it myself, very few clubs will be prepared to spend £20m+ on a 28 year old, yes prem teams are flush with money atm but not many teams on the continent are.
If someone wants to spend that type of money on him let them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:37 pm

johnbarnes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:54 am wrote:
maguskwt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:59 am wrote:

RE: chicharito - Hindsight is 20-20. The Mancs wouldn't have sold him if he showed the goalscoring threat he does now. Is this because the PL is a stronger league or is it the fact that he no longer plays with the kind of pressure that exists at Manure or potentially Anfield?
The same thing could happen with Big Ben. We sell him cheap then goes on to score a hat full of goals for another team. BB's age is also a factor as chicharito is headed towards 28 and the next big contract he signs will be his last. In Big Ben we have the potential to have a great forward, even if he isn't our no.1 striker.
Remember; Once upon a time no-one at LFC was guaranteed a starting place, we need to get back to those days.

PS
"To me the purchase of Benteke is a mistake!"
I think we all agree here, but we did buy him and at the price of 32m no less   :no
We can't afford to let such an asset walk out the door on the cheap - otherwise ticket prices will go up again; quicker than we all want.  :nod 

You my friend are dreaming. 'big ben' will never ever be a great forward. He is Emile Hesket mark II. He can be a good striker in a compatible system, but he can never be great. Origi has far more potential to be a great forward than Benteke. And nobody cares that we paid 32 million for him. Unless he somehow scores 14-15 goals from now to end of season, we will never ever re-coup what we paid for him. The best deal is to swap him to a team that can make use of his strengths with someone that fits our system. That may be what's behind this alleged swap with chicharito.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:50 pm

You my friend are dreaming. 'big ben' will never ever be a great forward. He is Emile Hesket mark II. He can be a good striker in a compatible system, but he can never be great. Origi has far more potential to be a great forward than Benteke. And nobody cares that we paid 32 million for him. Unless he somehow scores 14-15 goals from now to end of season, we will never ever re-coup what we paid for him. The best deal is to swap him to a team that can make use of his strengths with someone that fits our system. That may be what's behind this alleged swap with chicharito.[/quote]

You're correct maguskwt, my mistake! Big Ben won't be a 'great' striker but he could well be a very player in a capable system.
IMO I see no reason why this can't be with LFC
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 pm

johnbarnes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:50 pm wrote:You my friend are dreaming. 'big ben' will never ever be a great forward. He is Emile Hesket mark II. He can be a good striker in a compatible system, but he can never be great. Origi has far more potential to be a great forward than Benteke. And nobody cares that we paid 32 million for him. Unless he somehow scores 14-15 goals from now to end of season, we will never ever re-coup what we paid for him. The best deal is to swap him to a team that can make use of his strengths with someone that fits our system. That may be what's behind this alleged swap with chicharito.

You're correct maguskwt, my mistake! Big Ben won't be a 'great' striker but he could well be a very player in a capable system.
[/quote]
Are you seeing it now? He's now third choice behind Sturridge and origi, once Ings comes back he may as well be 4th.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:27 pm

maguskwt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 pm wrote:
johnbarnes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:50 pm wrote:You my friend are dreaming. 'big ben' will never ever be a great forward. He is Emile Hesket mark II. He can be a good striker in a compatible system, but he can never be great. Origi has far more potential to be a great forward than Benteke. And nobody cares that we paid 32 million for him. Unless he somehow scores 14-15 goals from now to end of season, we will never ever re-coup what we paid for him. The best deal is to swap him to a team that can make use of his strengths with someone that fits our system. That may be what's behind this alleged swap with chicharito.

Are you seeing it now? He's now third choice behind Sturridge and origi, once Ings comes back he may as well be 4th.[/quote]
I see clearly. But what's wrong with him being 3/4 choice?
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Erm, Lads (JB and Mags) I know the conversation started with the rumour of possible swap of Hernandez for Benteke , but we now seem to have descended into a "how good is Benteke ? "  conversation.

Surely that's for the Benteke thread ?

This after all is the rumour thread .

(OK, I know some may argue that Benteke's vaunted ability was perhaps just a rumour and therefore deserves a place in this thread, you smart ar'ses can fk off before you even start    :D  )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:46 pm

woof woof ! » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:45 pm wrote:Erm, Lads (JB and Mags) I know we the conversation started with the rumour of possible swap of Hernandez for Benteke , but we now seem to have descended into a "how good is Benteke ? "

Surely that's for the Benteke thread ?

This after all is the rumour thread .

(OK, I know some may argue that Benteke's vaunted ability was perhaps just a rumour and therefore deserves a place in this thread, you smart ar'ses can fk off before you even start    :D  )

Yes Sir!  :lowdown  :D
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill