Phillip lahm available for £10 million. - Perfect fit into our new system.

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby spion » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:58 am

Last Wednesday Phillip Lahm finally rejected a new contract offer from Bayern after months of negotiations. Kicker magazine reported that the reason behind the decision was in-fact that Liverpool had offered a much better salary to the wingback & were willing to pay him seven million over five years. Its an interesting story & was repeated last night on Talksport with the added fact that the reporter stated Liverpool had been quoted a fee of ten million by Bayern. The reason behind such a small fee for a worldclass player was because he is in the final year of his contract & that not many of europes top clubs are in the market for a left sided defender. We certainly could do with a player of this caliber.
spion

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:01 am

This is the type of players we should be buying....
1)Pace
2)Good technique - Crossing, 1st touch
3)A goal threat

Not players like degen .....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:06 am

This would be really great, he's exactly what we've been missing in the FB positions.  Let's hope that this is true.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:25 am

Right footed left back..... same as Emlyn Hughes. £10million sounds a bargain for such a quality player, but can we afford to spend such a huge chunk of our transfer budget on a fullback?
account deleted by request

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:35 am

s@int wrote:Right footed left back..... same as Emlyn Hughes. £10million sounds a bargain for such a quality player, but can we afford to spend such a huge chunk of our transfer budget on a fullback?

We'll sell Risse and possibly Finnan though, if he comes.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:03 am

s@int wrote:Right footed left back..... same as Emlyn Hughes. £10million sounds a bargain for such a quality player, but can we afford to spend such a huge chunk of our transfer budget on a fullback?

If it was true then i would definately think it was worth spending the money on him.
People underestimate the impact full backs can have attacking wise on a team (by people i wasnt referring to yourself saint), but full backs that look to get beyond the midfielders open up so much space for other players and create far more chances than wingers at times, due to the fact that the opposing midfielders dont often track them.
The lad Bosingwa from Porto looks great coming forward.
A massive if but if we had him and Lahm we would be a far better side going forward and breaking some of the more resolute sides down.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:40 am

My sentiments exactly.

BUT if we want to be competing with the mancs and Chelsea, then our side can't afford to be made up of £6m-£7m players who don't deliver.

Or put another way :-

Lahm for £10m or Riise for £4.6m ?
Lahm for £10m or Pennant for £6.7m ?
Lahm for £10m or Voronin for zip ?
Lahm for £10m or Kewell for £5m ?
Lahm for £10m or Lucas for £5m ?
Lahm for £10m or Benayoun for £5m ?

They aren't intended to be like for like, pricewise or otherwise. Simply pick the player you'd rather have based on what they cost. Point being we should be buying quality not spending around £6m on players who don't always work out. Look through our current best XI and you'll see few of those in that bracket, allowing for that price bracket being relatively epers and CBs compared to other positions.

Reina £6m
Arbeloa £2.6m
Aurelio n/a
Carragher n/a
Skrtel £6.5m
Kuyt £10m
Babel £11.5m
Alonso £10.5m
Mascherano £17m
Gerrard n/a
Torres £21m

So assuming Gerrard would cost around £25m+, Carragher about £7m+ and Aurelio maybe £3m, that shows you pay top money and get top players. FIVE of the best XI cost £10m+ with all those in red being in the upper bracket for their position or would fetch top prices. Put in a Lahm, Modric and Bentley and we could have a side capable of sustaining a title challenge. I'd rather those three with a few cheaper players to boost the squad than half a dozen more Benayoun s, Pennant s and Crouch s.
Last edited by Owzat on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:43 am

quality player. I read barca and Utd also interested.
puroresu

Postby Number 9 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:50 am

Owzat wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

BUT if we want to be competing with the mancs and Chelsea, then our side can't afford to be made up of £6m-£7m players who don't deliver.

Or put another way :-

Lahm for £10m or Riise for £4.6m ?
Lahm for £10m or Pennant for £6.7m ?
Lahm for £10m or Voronin for zip ?
Lahm for £10m or Kewell for £5m ?
Lahm for £10m or Lucas for £5m ?
Lahm for £10m or Benayoun for £5m ?

They aren't intended to be like for like, pricewise or otherwise. Simply pick the player you'd rather have based on what they cost. Point being we should be buying quality not spending around £6m on players who don't always work out. Look through our current best XI and you'll see few of those in that bracket, allowing for that price bracket being relatively epers and CBs compared to other positions.

Reina £6m
Arbeloa £2.6m
Aurelio n/a
Carragher n/a
Skrtel £6.5m
Kuyt £10m
Babel £11.5m
Alonso £10.5m
Mascherano £17m
Gerrard n/a
Torres £21m

So assuming Gerrard would cost around £25m+, Carragher about £7m+ and Aurelio maybe £3m, that shows you pay top money and get top players. FIVE of the best XI cost £10m+ with all those in red being in the upper bracket for their position or would fetch top prices. Put in a Lahm, Modric and Bentley and we could have a side capable of sustaining a title challenge. I'd rather those three with a few cheaper players to boost the squad than half a dozen more Benayoun s, Pennant s and Crouch s.

Very true!
If Rafa spends his £30 million or whatever he gets made available on 'squad players' we can forget about a title challenge.

I'd be far happier with 3 great players a quality left back,right m/f and striker.If he gets £30m we can afford to ship out 6 squad players or past its,or not good enoughs,getting him more to spend!

We need more quality not more depth.Our squad has been way to big for too long
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:00 am

I'd offload a few saleable players and try to raise another £20m+ before signing players. The worry for me is Rafa tends to like Bosmans and spending £5m-£7m on players and is stuck in that way. We need to score more goals and be more resolute defensively, signing more mediocrity won't help. Rafa has finally identified a best XI and we need to strengthen that and trim the squad. Bringing in more players in the positions already adequately filled isn't the way, I've done that on footy management games and I could kick myself when I do. Sign what you need first, then when you've won the league and the squad is good enough THEN you can start mucking about.

I think I shall apply for the manager's job, I played first season of a footy management game as Liverpool the other day and won the Premiership and Champions League. I didn't think I would win the league, Chelsea kept winning and winning and winning early on, oddly enough for a spell they kept scoring, getting TWO players sent off and then scored again to still win easily. They had half a dozen players banned at one stage and still won games easily. But I did for them home and away, beat Barca in the Champions League final and would have won everything but for the computer giving me nasty domestic cup draws like Chelsea away first round of the League Cup etc.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:07 am

i would love it if we signed him... i would love it!!!
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:16 am

Owzat wrote:I'd offload a few saleable players and try to raise another £20m+ before signing players. The worry for me is Rafa tends to like Bosmans and spending £5m-£7m on players and is stuck in that way. We need to score more goals and be more resolute defensively, signing more mediocrity won't help. Rafa has finally identified a best XI and we need to strengthen that and trim the squad. Bringing in more players in the positions already adequately filled isn't the way, I've done that on footy management games and I could kick myself when I do. Sign what you need first, then when you've won the league and the squad is good enough THEN you can start mucking about.

I think I shall apply for the manager's job, I played first season of a footy management game as Liverpool the other day and won the Premiership and Champions League. I didn't think I would win the league, Chelsea kept winning and winning and winning early on, oddly enough for a spell they kept scoring, getting TWO players sent off and then scored again to still win easily. They had half a dozen players banned at one stage and still won games easily. But I did for them home and away, beat Barca in the Champions League final and would have won everything but for the computer giving me nasty domestic cup draws like Chelsea away first round of the League Cup etc.

Give Rafa another season or two before you apply for his job fella....please!

:D

You are right what you say though,if he flogs 6 or so players and raises £20m on top of the £30m hes 'been promised' from a proven liar it makes far more sense to spend the lot on 3 'world class players' than 6 of lesser quality.

By all means though if he does this and adds a few Bosmans they cant do any harm.
The players we bring in need to be a hell of a lot better than the ones we let go otherwise we are going round in circles and will not progress!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:14 pm

sounds too good to be true. I would love for us to go out and get Lahm, I just can't see it actually happening. If I were the manager, I would certainly try and sign him. I would even sell Riise and Finnan to make it happen. 
  Arbeloa   Carra    Agger    Lahm
that sounds formidable
With Insua, Skrtel, Hyypia and Aurelio as cover

and Pepe Reina  in GOOOOOOOAAAAL :D
JoeTerp

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:09 pm

Owzat wrote:I'd offload a few saleable players and try to raise another £20m+ before signing players. The worry for me is Rafa tends to like Bosmans and spending £5m-£7m on players and is stuck in that way. We need to score more goals and be more resolute defensively, signing more mediocrity won't help. Rafa has finally identified a best XI and we need to strengthen that and trim the squad. Bringing in more players in the positions already adequately filled isn't the way, I've done that on footy management games and I could kick myself when I do. Sign what you need first, then when you've won the league and the squad is good enough THEN you can start mucking about.

:D  :laugh:  :bowdown
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:48 pm

I'd love him at the club aswell... really love it. He's definitely one of the best FB's around, and we need reinforcements in that area. A couple of days ago I read somewhere though, that he was already suppossed to have a agreed to a move to Barca. Really hope this isn't true :(
JamCar05

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill