Luke young

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:46 am

I've met Luke Young a couple of times and he's a nice lad, knows his football too which isn't always a given. As for signing him, well predictably I'm not as dead set against it as most on here. Here's my take for what it's worth.

I think Young is being bought as RIGHT BACK COVER, as I don't think Roy thinks Darby is ready yet. Equally, we may at some point see Johnson wide right midfield, and if so we need a decent right back. Luke Young is a decent right back. Until the tragedy with his brother, he was in the England squad. He knows the game, knows his game and knows what it means to play for a club like Liverpool. he is a good player, and at 2.5 million is cheap.

Alan Hutton I must confess I think is rubbish. Spurs can't give him away, and while I'm not saying he is Dossena rubbish or anything like it, buying him for 8 mill as some have suggested would be an awful move in my view.

I think Roy is filling holes in the squad with sensible, solid, budget buys who he KNOWS can do a job for him if required. Blokes such as Luke Young, the much touted James Beattie etc aren't going to play every week, but if needed they will be far better than some Carlos Kickaball. I do think though that we will see a couple of big signings, and rather than spread the money around too thinly we are seeing the manager prioritise those, and save a bit of money on the also rans.

That's how I see it anyway.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 am

sensible post Mick and one I completely agree with. I posted in the rumour thread I reckon he might be Jonno's cover which wouldn't be a bad move imo, he's solid so he can be relied upon should Jonno get injured

Wait and see who else comes in before hitting the panic button
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:58 am

So if you think  Roy dosnt think Darby is ready then he , were does that leave him with Martin Kelly. Perfect understudy to Johnson and he proved that a couple of times last season until the lad got injured himself, Mick its a terrible buy its a waste of money for a 31 year old ,that we havnt got, Im sorry might have been on Roys wish list when he was at Fulham as they are the type of players he likes, he couldnt get his place at Villa ,fell out with Oniell after saying he didnt want to play left back and now hes ok for us, He maybe a nice lad and it was terrible what happend to his young brother , But im sorry we shouldnt even be giving him a second look.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:15 am

bigmick wrote:I've met Luke Young a couple of times and he's a nice lad, knows his football too which isn't always a given. As for signing him, well predictably I'm not as dead set against it as most on here. Here's my take for what it's worth.

I think Young is being bought as RIGHT BACK COVER, as I don't think Roy thinks Darby is ready yet. Equally, we may at some point see Johnson wide right midfield, and if so we need a decent right back. Luke Young is a decent right back. Until the tragedy with his brother, he was in the England squad. He knows the game, knows his game and knows what it means to play for a club like Liverpool. he is a good player, and at 2.5 million is cheap.

Alan Hutton I must confess I think is rubbish. Spurs can't give him away, and while I'm not saying he is Dossena rubbish or anything like it, buying him for 8 mill as some have suggested would be an awful move in my view.

I think Roy is filling holes in the squad with sensible, solid, budget buys who he KNOWS can do a job for him if required. Blokes such as Luke Young, the much touted James Beattie etc aren't going to play every week, but if needed they will be far better than some Carlos Kickaball. I do think though that we will see a couple of big signings, and rather than spread the money around too thinly we are seeing the manager prioritise those, and save a bit of money on the also rans.

That's how I see it anyway.

I agree totally, we need to bulk up our squad,

Thus Luke Young would be a good Squad player!

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TarnRed » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:22 am

Whilst this type of signing doesn't really impress me on bit (if it comes off), considering he is only likely to be brought in as cover and to satisfy the homegrown quota rule, would it be really be that bad?.

Young is versatile can cover both LB & RB also has 10 years top level experience. Do we really want to rely on Martin Kelly ( a natural CB been moulded into a RB) when in reality we saw how badly at times Insua faired last season when it should have been a learning curve for the lad been a bit part player nothing more, also add to that when both Kelly & Johnson were injured last season we had both Carra (who hasn't the legs anymore to do the RB role IMO) and Mascha having to be deployed in this role, which wasn't an ideal situation was it?.

If Young is brought in he won't be first choice in any position, he'll be used as cover at best. He fell out of favour with O'Neill last season after returning from injury & compassionate leave, a few Villa fans I know personally have been left totally bemused by O'Neill favouring Cuellar at RB over Young.

I'd rather have a Young in the squad than a Spearing (the lad found his level in the Chapionship last season) or Darby (whom I feel just won't make the cut) when the homegrown quota kicks in.

But that's just my opinion.
TarnRed

Postby puroresu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:29 am

These type of potential signing really makes me wonder what happens with the youth players.  I mean are none of them good enough to make the squad and be a genuine understudy to Johnson rather than an 31 year old well on the slide?
puroresu

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:40 am

I'll be honest i can see why people would say that it's not a bad signing as he can provide cover in the squad.
But for me its exactly the type of signing that i hate and that just shows that in modern day football youngsters dont stand a chance.
Kelly and Darby (to a lesser extent) need to be shown that they are trusted enough to come in if we suffered injuries and will be given a game every now and then.
If you litter the squad with average squad players then that just stops that happening - and how will they ever make it ?

Its been happening for years and not just at LFC, i would be perfectly happy with Kelly and Darby as our back up fullback options, provided we sign a first team left back.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:43 am

Ben Patrick wrote:I'll be honest i can see why people would say that it's not a bad signing as he can provide cover in the squad.
But for me its exactly the type of signing that i hate and that just shows that in modern day football youngsters dont stand a chance.
Kelly and Darby (to a lesser extent) need to be shown that they are trusted enough to come in if we suffered injuries and will be given a game every now and then.
If you litter the squad with average squad players then that just stops that happening - and how will they ever make it ?

Its been happening for years and not just at LFC, i would be perfectly happy with Kelly and Darby as our back up fullback options, provided we sign a first team left back.

:nod

agree
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:44 am

I know many on here lkie Darby and I must admit I thought he was tidy enough, but the simple fact of the matter is that at this stage of his career, he wouldn't be in the same stratosphere as Luke Young. We need some men in the team, I've said it for a while now. This is the Premiership, not La Premiership or Serie Premiership, it's THE Premiership. As such, when teams like Bolton try and kick the sh!t out of you, you need men who can stand up and be counted.

Luke Young is a decent player. People can disagree and that's up to them, but if we'd have had him last season he'd have got a lot of games. That tells it's own story for me.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:45 am

It’s all well and good saying he would be decent backup but what if Johnson suffered a serious injury which meant he was out for 3 months.  Would Luke Young be a suitable player to play for an extended period of time?  I don’t think he would!!
puroresu

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:47 am

puroresu wrote:It’s all well and good saying he would be decent backup but what if Johnson suffered a serious injury which meant he was out for 3 months.  Would Luke Young be a suitable player to play for an extended period of time?  I don’t think he would!!

Well I do actually. He'd be a darn sight more suitable than Darby would anyway. Also, given Johnson can play left back as well, Young being around gives us that option.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 am

bigmick wrote:
puroresu wrote:It’s all well and good saying he would be decent backup but what if Johnson suffered a serious injury which meant he was out for 3 months.  Would Luke Young be a suitable player to play for an extended period of time?  I don’t think he would!!

Well I do actually. He'd be a darn sight more suitable than Darby would anyway. Also, given Johnson can play left back as well, Young being around gives us that option.

Darby would be 3rd choice mick.
Kelly is comfortably better and wouldnt let anyone down if and when he plays.
I am sure Young would do a decent enough job, but at the expense of us bringing on possibly our most promising young reserve.
We need to give the lad some experience and show that we have faith in him and will give him a fair crack of the whip.
Ferguson does that at united and its helped him continue to bring players through.
We could do it with every position - squad players here and there that arent really much better than our own younger players.
This is imo where modern football has got it majorly wrong.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby In and Out » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:59 am

if it goes through Its deffo a Roy Signing this

:O  What, you mean it's not a Christie signing on this occasion, striker me down with a feather :laugh:
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:01 am

christ FFS can we stop derailing every single thread with more agenda ridden sh!te towards the Rafa regime. It's actually getting beyond a joke, any sort of post that remotely suggests your view may be clouded by your judgement on Rafa and the accusations start flying. Give it a rest, christ
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 am

Poor signing if this happens, not even good enough to be a squad player. I prefer Kelly and Darby as backup for Johnson
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill