Luke young

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby puroresu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:19 am

Petrov isnt rubbish.  His a good player.  I just find £7 mil for a 30 year old is too much considering we are not exactly flush.
puroresu

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 am

no one's said petrov is shi.t though. I think he's a good player. i just agree with puroresu and bav that there could be someone better or younger we could get for that amount of money.

as an example its like us being linked with Raul (for arguments sake still in contract at Madrid) and us paying £18m for him. Good player, experienced quality striker (and definately not sh.it) , but for the same money, I would prefer someone else.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 am

LFC2007 wrote:No big drama. We've got Martin Kelly as backup right back.

this.  All the money we have to spend on fullbacks should be on proper leftbacks
JoeTerp

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:03 am

Wether the Petrov thing is true or not remains to be seen, yeh is is a not bad player but hes getting on , But lets just get 25 -30 million for Javier and spend 7 million of it on a 30 year old . wonder were the rest of the money will go, most prob to keep the Alonso money company.

And before anyone come back with but Aquallini money . they yous have your opinion about how much was paid up front and i have mine,

I JUST HOPE ITS A BIG PIE IN THE SKY THIS PETROV THING,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 am

Mesosphere next then thermosphere I believe
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:23 pm

bigmick wrote:It's funny this transfer window, I am genuinely moved to laugh out loud sometimes. Every single time the press mention someone, crowds of people jump on it saying "he is sh!t" "I don't fecking believe this" "this is the way the club is going" etc etc. Previously, someone could be practically on the cusp of being signed or sold, photographed at Melwood or quoted as saying "I actually wouldn't mind playing for Real Madrid" and it was all dismissed as pure "speck-you-lay-shun". Now, every press report whether it's confirmed or not is an excuse to launch three more darts at the poster of Roys head.

Not only that, but the players that are "sh!t" and "not fit to wear the shirt" are proven Premiership performers, experienced good players. The clubs which they play for in the majority of cases "what the feck do we want their players for" finished above us in the league last season.

Look. Stylian Petrov isn't "sh!t", he is a good player and a good pro. 30 isn't old for a guy who holds the midfield, Makeleli retired at 36 or something. We haven't actually signed him yet, we haven't even confirmed that we are interested in signing him, but if we do he would be a good player for us. Lucas played 194 times last season (or maybe it just seemed like it) and Petrov is in a different megasphere to him (that ought to be one up from stratosphere, it probably isn't but you get my drift).

Walking into the forum these days is a shocking experience sometimes. Everywhere you look there's people wailing in corners, kneeling, the backs of their hands pressed against their foreheads and tears tumbling down their faces as they headbut the wall in frustration. When you approach them and say "what's up mate" they look at you with despair in their eyes "Stylian Petrov. Have you heard? Stylian fecking Petrooooooovvvvvvvvv" and they're off again. You can't get any sense out of them.

It's only a week or two since we got them all up and got them to chant "we haven't signed james Beattie" 100 times. I blame it all on Benny the Noon. He forms all these support groups and then fecks off and doesn't chair the meetings anymore. I do my best, but with Oiks like that Everton lad, he's not really interested in my lectures on rotation bless him. There's me talking to him about the farce of Fratton Park or the Birmingham baloney, and all HE wants in reality is the Kalashnikov and high speed internet connection which Benny promised him. Allied to that, while we're having our meeting I've got people with fake goatees banging on the door looking for some other group he's formed.

The sooner Benny gets back the better.

Oh so who's belittling other people's opinion now huh? Stop being a hypocrit Mick...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm not belittling anyones opinion, I'm just saying they're talking b0ll0cks :D. Chill out anyway Magus, it's meant in jest and no more. Feck me if you're offended by that, never ever become an anti for fecks sake :laugh:.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:54 pm

I thought Petrov was younger than 30 as I remember him as a young player at Celtic.

He is a very solid and competent central midfielder who has lots of UK experience. I actually don't think that £7m is all that bad for a proven performer in the EPL who would IMO do a job for us for a good 3-4 seasons. At the end of the day the 'spoiler' role in MF would not see him have to run all over the park. I would prefer a younger player (one for the future) but I can see what Roy would see in Petrov. That plus the fact we are not flush and if we get 25m for Mascherano, buy Petrov for 7M and then we have a good bit of cash to bring in a striker and a LB.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Waldo wrote:I thought Petrov was younger than 30 as I remember him as a young player at Celtic.

He is a very solid and competent central midfielder who has lots of UK experience. I actually don't think that £7m is all that bad for a proven performer in the EPL who would IMO do a job for us for a good 3-4 seasons. At the end of the day the 'spoiler' role in MF would not see him have to run all over the park. I would prefer a younger player (one for the future) but I can see what Roy would see in Petrov. That plus the fact we are not flush and if we get 25m for Mascherano, buy Petrov for 7M and then we have a good bit of cash to bring in a striker and a LB.

Good post mate, I couldn't agree more. If Masherano goes, we can't afford to buy a Ya Ya Toure, but we do need someone who can step straight in. I know some people think Lucas can do it, and maybe he can, but Petrov is today a far better player IMHO. He was the captain at Villa which says a lot cbout his character, as does the fact that O'Neill brought hi down from Celtic.

Is he a better player than Scott Parker? Arguable, and West Ham laughed at 7 million for him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Petrov isnt going to happen anyways. Just another rumour

Martin Oneill would not let him go
Fauxy

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:50 pm

bigmick wrote:Feck me if you're offended by that, never ever become an anti for fecks sake :laugh:.

No thanks...  :laugh:

newsflash... you're not an anti anymore... you're a pro now...  :laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:04 pm

bigmick wrote:
Waldo wrote:I thought Petrov was younger than 30 as I remember him as a young player at Celtic.

Good post mate, I couldn't agree more. If Masherano goes, we can't afford to buy a Ya Ya Toure, but we do need someone who can step straight in. I know some people think Lucas can do it, and maybe he can, but Petrov is today a far better player IMHO. He was the captain at Villa which says a lot cbout his character, as does the fact that O'Neill brought hi down from Celtic.

Is he a better player than Scott Parker? Arguable, and West Ham laughed at 7 million for him.

I think the concern most on here have with regards to the purchases of RB Luke Old and CM Petrov is that are we backing-up too much in areas we already have decent back-ups?

Luke Old's redundancy has already been pointed out by alot of posters.

If Gerrard were to move back to CM, which is likely due to our purchase of Joe "in the hole" Cole, then we have Gerrard, Lucas, Aquilani and Jonjo Shelvey. If Lucas plays as a holding midfielder IMO, he's not too bad. It's when he pairs with Mascherano that he is hopeless going forward (and there are people saying that he should play more forward  :glare: ). Having said that I would still play Gerrard and Aquilani together (mainly because I can see Aquilani's quality which some are too blind to see). Then we will have Lucas and Shelvey as back-ups. Shelvey, going by some reports, is a very promising young midfielder in the mould of a young Steven Gerrard. If we are not gonna use these youngsters like Shelvey and Kelly and Pacheco, then they are never gonna be good enough. And why the hell did we sign Shelvey if we're not gonna be using him?

Now what we need reinforcing more urgently is the LB role... which we currently have 0... unless one of our better CBs Agger plays there of course. And we also need a decent back-up/ partner for Torres in case he breaks down or just keep some defensive pressure off of him.

Now it seems a bit strange that we are going to spend nearly 10 million on 2 'not so young' back-ups... one for a position we don't really need (RB) and one for a position we already have decent back-up (CM). We can argue until the cows come home whether we think Luke Old is ' :censored:' or 'an England International ( and yeah even though Aquilani is Italy International he is :censored:... the logic on some :p)... but the fact is that these targets don't seem to be money well spent kinda targets...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Petrov isnt my first choise replacement 4 Masch but as long as the other 18-28 million (depending of how much Rafas pepared 2 spend on his 50 million midfiled enforcer) is spent say getting in Turan and Cissokho then ill be happy. Hes had his prem break-in period at Villa and was a great little player 4 them last year, he also has good vision and passing ability (a poor mans Alonso, 23 million poorer) I think Bangea at 8 million would be better but as ive said on a previous post i dont think we have 2 replace him if Gerrard drops back and with Shelvey coming in id much rather see the funds go towards improving other areas in the TEAM not SQUAD.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby PabloMedina28 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Ive never understood buying back up players 2 improve the squad. You buy first teamers and the previous players that were in the team and 2 good for back up roles drop back and improve the back up roles thus improving the squad. I think :O
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:15 pm

Not that keen on Petrov to be honest, not as a first team regular. He's a steady eddy holder but I don't think he has any outstanding attributes like Masch and Alonso had, which is perhaps OK for a club like Villa who have top 6 aspirations at most (they have lots of steady eddies) but I hope and expect we'd able to find someone better than him with our £25m, someone with unlockable talent whose stock isn't riding high. Filipe Melo might be such a player. I only recall glimpses of him at the World Cup, but he appeared to have a lot more to his game than Petrov, and after an unimpressive campaign with Juve he might be snatchable.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill