Joaquin - New link

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:14 pm

from SSN:

Reports in Spain claim Liverpool have rekindled their interest in Real Betis star Joaquin.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez is desperate to bring in a right-sided midfielder and has been chasing Sevilla's Daniel Alves.

However, he appears to have been priced out of a move for the Brazilian having refused to meet the Primera outfit's asking price.

It now seems he has retrained his sights on Joaquin whom he was linked with last season.

The wide man has just returned from World Cup duty and has made it clear that he intends to depart Betis for a new challenge this summer.

Los Verdiblancos are ready to grant him his wish with new president Pepe Leon admitting he will cash in if the right offer comes along.

"Betis would be equally happy to keep Joaquin or to have their coffers full," Leon stated. "Him leaving would not ruin the dream (of taking over as president) for me.

"There have always been a lot of teams after the player, but nobody has yet decided to make the final move."

Liverpool could be about to change all that with Spanish sources suggesting they will offer €16 million (£10 million) plus Antonio Barragan, Jerzy Dudek and Boudewijn Zenden to land their man.

However, it now appears unlikely that Barragan will be used as a makeweight in the deal as he is close to agreeing a move to Deportivo La Coruna.

Betis were interested in the young defender, but the chance to link up with former coach Joaquin Caparros - with whom he worked at Sevilla before joining Liverpool - seems to have swayed Barragan towards Depor.

His agent has revealed a deal is close to being finalised, with Liverpool ready to sell the 19-year-old but with the insertion of a buy-back clause that would allow them to repurchase him should he impress.

"I believe the transfer could be closed in the next few hours because the differences between Liverpool and Deportivo are not too great," stated the player's agent Fermin Gutierrez.

"It will be a sale with the option for the English team to buy him back."

----------------------

It's a link but not much of one. No quotes or anything. TBH I haven't seen much of Joaquin. He does get very good reports. Over the 2 times we played betis and the games played for spain, I haven't really noticed him. He doesn't stand out to me. But then again, I don't watch alot of La Liga.

If Alves is too much then surely Joaquin would cost more?  ???
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:47 pm

Well i actually think i would prefer if we snatched joaquin instead of alves but as you say this link seems like nothing and joaquin would cost even more than alves and we are struggling to fund his transfer. There doesnt seem to be much in this so i hope we get alves snapped up. Seems like either alves or pennant, god i hope the alves deal hasnt been scrapped
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby anti-hero » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:51 pm

Joaquin would be a fuckin dream. :D

It would be great if he came here, but like you guys said, "Wouldnt he cost a whole lot more than Alves?" ???
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:56 pm

Yeah i would love it. Seems like another routine rumour floating round though. Seems that whoever came up with the deal of 10mil plus barragan, dudek and zenden has just simply put the money we were going to pay for alves and 3 players who are likely to leave anfield together to form a deal for joaquin just because their president said they are willing to listen to offers  :D

Im not going to pay much attention to this unless i get some concrete evidence of a possible offer. Would love joaquin if it was possible but for now im still gunning for alves to sign.
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby kobashi » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:03 pm

i doubt there is any truth in this but £10m plus 3 players just shows that the cash really is not there.
kobashi

Postby GOAT » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:17 pm

kobashi wrote:i doubt there is any truth in this but £10m plus 3 players just shows that the cash really is not there.

Well if there is no truth in this offer, which there prob isn't, then it doesnt show anything!  :D
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Paul C » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:09 am

Can't see this happening although I'd love to see Joaquin in a liverpool shirt, if we were to sign him without the other players I'm sure he'd go for approx £16m, the other thing you have to remember is that Dudek, Zenden and Barragan would have to agree to the move.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 am

At the figure suggested this transfer just ain't gonna happen IMO. If there is anything in this rumour i imagine it could be a bargaining tactic to try and get Sevilla to drop thier price for Alves. It's no secret that sevilla and betis are very fierce rivals and it could be Liverpool trying to get sevilla sweatin on whether they want to see Betis getting a large sum of money that they could've had. Just a thought :D .
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:14 am

kewell has been linked with a move to real betis as well.. there's something happening. whether it ultimately spells the arrival of joaquin, who knows yet.

though if it is true and it happens.. happy days.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:22 pm

no chance. he's already agreed to join real madrid.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:27 pm

Where did you hear that stmichael??
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:31 pm

HacksawJimDuggin wrote:Where did you hear that stmichael??

guillem balague said it on the five live rumour mill on saturday morning. he's pretty much on the pulse when it comes to all things spanish. he also mentioned that chelsea were interested in him but maureen received negative reports about his character and decided not to pursue it any further.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:49 pm

I doubt Joaquin has agreed a deal with Real, the new Real president has just been on Sky Sports talking about transfers, the only ones he said are concrete interests are Robben, Kaka and Fabregas, he sais that he has to speak to Capello about his transfer targets as from here on the manager will make all the transfer decissions, I still don't think we'll get him though :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PCG77 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:24 pm

the dirty oil rapists in Blue shirts will come in and make a bid just to add hyper inflation to the price.. If there is any truth at all... Liverpool will bid 15... chelski will come in with 40 million pound just cause they can... Then he can sit on the bence with the other 15 wingers they have... :censored:
PCG77

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:30 pm

I'd not bother going after Joaquin to be honest.

Talented player no doubt, but from the la liga I've watched this season he's very inconsistent.  As we know any sort of foreign import comes with risks, so if we have to pay upwards of 15 million for a player who has consistency problems in his own league, I think the risk is too much.

If we could get him for up to say 10 million then I'd say the risk is worth it, because if Benitez can sort this guy out he's absolutely frightening on his day.

Again though, I think that this is a case of Benitez playing mind games with Sevilla over the Alves deal to be honest.  Or else it's just pure rubbish.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill