Hamann - Joining bolton?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby wee_boi888 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:00 am

Tis in the echo

Hamann poised for Bolton switchJun 9 2006

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

DIDI HAMANN is on the brink of leaving Anfield after Liverpool agreed a deal with Bolton.

The Liverpool midfielder - an inspiration during a glorious seven year career -has been given permission to hold talks with Sam Allardyce.

However, the player still hasn't decided to join the Lancashire side and must agree a personal terms and complete a medical.

Hamann has returned Germany to watch his country's opening game in the World Cup and will make a decision over the weekend.

Following a meeting with manager Rafa Benitez, it's become clear the German's chances of first team football would be limited this season.

Hamann triggered a one-year extension to his Liverpool deal during the course of the last campaign, and originally intended to remain on Merseyside.

But the emergence of Momo Sissoko, and return of Steven Gerrard to his favoured central midfield role next season, means Hamann will have fewer opportunities to feature.

His departure would bring an end to a hugely successful Anfield career, during which time Hamann won every major honour apart from the Premiership.

After signing for £7m from Newcastle in 1999, he was a key member of the cup treble winning side of 2001, and more famously helped transformthe Champions League final as a second half substitute.

The 32-year-old played a similar role in the recent FA Cup success.

His presence in the dressing room will also undoubtedly be missed, but Benitezwill feel it's in the best interests of the club and player to move on.

Should Hamann agree terms with Allardyce, he's sure to leave Merseyside with tremendous appreciation following his sterling contribution.

The deal is likely to be initially free, with the Reds receiving up to £500,000 if Hamann makes a certain number of Premiership appearances.
Last edited by wee_boi888 on Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:15 am

That's weak.

Its going to be a sad day when Hamman leaves Liverpool.

I'm still refusing to believe it though!
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:22 am

wee_boi888 wrote:The deal is likely to be initially free, with the Reds receiving up to £500,000 if Hamann makes a certain number of Premiership appearances.

That bit irritates me slightly.  Once again we are letting a player go for less than we could.  I know he's nearly 33, but surely we could at least get about 500k initially and then bonuses depending on how many games he plays (we're not exactly rolling in the cash at the moment by all accounts).  There won't be many better value free transfers this summer in world football than Didi Hamann.  Maybe not asking for an initial fee for him is LFC's way of thanking him for his years of service to the club, in which case it's fair enough.  Still, if he does leave I'd rather he didn't stay in the premiership to come back and haunt us.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:13 pm

ahhhhh this is a disaster...didi is the king.....he has a year left at anfield why would he want to leave to look at fat sams stupid head in a dressing room
if he goes we are loosing a legend
hope its all paper talk and nothing more
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby davo_LFC » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:26 pm

I would think that the deal is not just rumours because the echo is usually quite reliable it just a case of wether hamman wants to join bolton or stay with liverpool. Bolton would be gettin an absolute bargain if they get him initially for free or even for 500k. At this point in his career it may be that he wants first-team football before he calls it a day but i think he will be finding it extremely hard to leave us; such is his affection for the club. Whatever he decides to do he is a liverpool legend, no doubt about it. Thanks for the memories didi!...hopefully he stays coz he will be a huge loss
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby Gaunt » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:34 pm

Its on the offy now.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152580060612-1358.htm

Dietmar Hamann is agonising over his future after Liverpool gave Bolton Wanderers permission to discuss personal terms with him over a possible transfer away from Anfield.
The Reds popular German star has been told he can leave Liverpool and will hold transfer talks with Wanderers boss Sam Allardyce this week about a move to the Reebok Stadium.

"I'm deciding what's the best thing to do," reflected Hamann.

"My heart is with Liverpool, but obviously I have to consider everything I've been told and do what's right.

"The decision to sell me has not entirely come as a shock to me, but deciding whether to go or not is very hard for me.

"I'll be back in England later this week and that's when I'll decide whether to go to Bolton. They're the only club which have shown any interest.

"It could still go either way, but now I've got to think carefully about what's best for my future."
Gaunt

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:42 pm

Gaunt wrote:"I'll be back in England later this week and that's when I'll decide whether to go to Bolton. They're the only club which have shown any interest.

Sounds to me like Didi maybe doesn't fancy slugging it out for Bolton next season in the premiership.  I reckon if he gets an offer to go back to his homeland he'd prefer that which is why he's 'agonising' (or should we say stalling) over his decision.  Don't blame him, If I was him I'd probably want to finish my career in Germany.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 007 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:59 am

It looks more likely that he will leave us than stay with us.

Anyhow I wish him the best of luck and many thanks for everything that he has done while he is with us.
Liverpool for LIFE

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:01 pm

rafa shows no mercy, sentiment goes out the window with him.....didi is a legend, i think hed be a loss, every team needs experience...funny how it all surfaced while Didi was in Germany, i wouldnt mind he has a contract for another year anyway.....
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:26 pm

I've seen him speaking to Eurosport and it don't look good...he doesn't seem surprised he's been told he can leave though.  I hope he will stay for 1 more year, but if he goes, best of luck to him
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Can anyone honestly do a better job at what Didi does than Didi himself?

It galls me everytime i hear i hear someone say 'The Makelele Role'. Jesus Christ, Didi was the the original and still is the best - all bias aside.

What's happening with this Argentinian midfielder we were signing? Wasn't he a defensive midfielder?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:45 pm

stmichael wrote:Can anyone honestly do a better job at what Didi does than Didi himself?

It galls me everytime i hear i hear someone say 'The Makelele Role'. Jesus Christ, Didi was the the original and still is the best - all bias aside.

What's happening with this Argentinian midfielder we were signing? Wasn't he a defensive midfielder?

i think he's not being offically unvieled until the 1st July, when the transfer window opens.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gaunt » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:14 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
stmichael wrote:Can anyone honestly do a better job at what Didi does than Didi himself?

i think he's not being offically unvieled until the 1st July, when the transfer window opens.

Who's that then? Only argentinian i know of that we are signing is Paletta and he is a center back.
Gaunt

Postby wee_boi888 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:24 am

The one from Zaragoza...? I thought they are just rumours at the moment
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:36 am

I have it on very good authority that Hamann will go to Bolton this week when he arrives back from Germany.  As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a rumour anymore.

Thanks for everything Didi. :)
jonnymac1979

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill