Gonzo off - Gonzalez linked with early exit

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Todays Echo

Gonzalez attracts Spanish interestMay 17 2007

by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

MARK GONZALEZ could be heading for a swift return to La Liga after the Champions League final as a host of Spanish clubs are showing interest in the winger.

The 22-year-old Chilean has struggled to make an impact in the Premiership following his arrival from Real Sociedad last summer.

There were high hopes the South American would solve Liverpool’s long standing problems on the left of midfield, but despite countless opportunities, it’s been an erratic debut campaign in England.

Now Real Betis are believed to be among those showing an interest in taking the youngster back to Spain, where he originally shone for Albacete, prompting his much delayed £2.5m transfer to the Reds.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Manager Rafa Benitez has been pondering whether to allow Gonzalez to leave or give him one more chance to shine next season.

Benitez is weighing up whether the Chilean will have benefited from his first season at Anfield and can massively improve, or whether the last eight months are a sign he’s not up to the level of a club of Liverpool’s size.

It’s a sign of how Gonzalez has missed his opportunities when long term absentee Harry Kewell seems to have moved above him in the battle to win a place on the bench in Athens.

Gonzalez admits he faces an uncertain future, but is hopeful he’ll still be at the club beyond the summer.

"I have a three-year contract but you never know what might happen,” he acknowledged.

"This is football and if I have to go somewhere else then I will have to deal with that, but at the moment I'm here and I'm very focused for the final and what happens in the future will come.

"If I have to go then I will go but I will arrive there with confidence because I have been at Liverpool and I must have been there for something.

"But I would like to stay at Liverpool next season and beyond."

Gonzalez can at least console himself with the fact his winning goal against Maccabi Haifa in last August’s Champions League qualifier set Liverpool on the path to Athens.

But since then, there have been few personal highlights.

“It has not been the best year for me and I know I can do more,” he said.

Havent got time to write too much as i am in work, but tbh i hope this is true.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Thu May 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:“It has not been the best year for me and I know I can do more,” he said.

He sounds like a geniune nice guy. Its obvious he likes the club, and that he thinks he can do better.

But is better enough?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu May 17, 2007 1:24 pm

The interest of Betis is real. What I don't know yet is how much money are they ready to pay, I don't think they'll offer much. That rumour appeared about 3 days ago.

Atletico de Madrid is also interested, according to the local tabloids.

Hope he has another season, he's very young.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 17, 2007 1:26 pm

babu wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:“It has not been the best year for me and I know I can do more,” he said.

He sounds like a geniune nice guy. Its obvious he likes the club, and that he thinks he can do better.

But is better enough?

Not by the looks of things Babu, i might be a nice guy and i would give anything to be playing....and being paid to be play football for Liverpool, or anyone for that matter :D

Fact of the matter is, he just doesnt look like a decent footballer, i've said this loads of times but he cant do the basics, if the ball gets played into his feet it often bounces back off him.

Put it this way could you imagine him playing one touch or even two touch football, to me it doesnt bear thinking about.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Thu May 17, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 17, 2007 1:27 pm

if athletico madrid are interested we'll take sergio aguero in exchange. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:29 pm

Personally I havent seen anything from him over the course of the season to prove he can cut the mustard here. You'd usually see glimpse's but TBH he's huffed and puffed, and in all honesty he looks WAY out of his depth.

If Rafa does decide to keep him on, I'd like to think he can prove me wrong but I dont think so.
66-1112520797

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:33 pm

I would have to say that the price would have to be right to allow him to leave so soon. The one thing that bothers me about letting players that showed so much potential before they arrived go after only one season is the risk that they might make us regret it.
Admittedly he's left quite a bit to be desired in his first season but he may be the type of player that takes a while to settle. Personally I'd give him another season to prove himself but if he's not prepared to play second fiddle to HK or anyone else then maybe Rafa will be right to cash in.
To be fair to the lad he does sound as though he knows he's not lived up to expectation and wants to give it a real go.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu May 17, 2007 1:43 pm

His remarks make it sound as though he's resigned to leaving.  I think it will happen quickly and quietly after Athens.  Hopefully it'll work out for him back in Spain.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Comparing what I saw of him in spain to what he's producted at liverpool I'd have to say that he probably is more suited to the spanish game. If he is prepared to stay and work harder and take full advantage of the chances he may be given then we may get a surprise you never know he may just blossom ???  :D

As Bob says though he does sound a little resigned to going.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu May 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Bad Bob wrote:His remarks make it sound as though he's resigned to leaving.  I think it will happen quickly and quietly after Athens.  Hopefully it'll work out for him back in Spain.

You never gave him a chance, you impatient fan.  :rasp

In all honesty, I admit he's been poor. It's just what Gonzo says, I know he can do a lot more, that's why many Spanish teams are interested aswell.

I'd give him time, but I also understand that in big clubs like this, there's not time to waste, so I'd understand if Rafa sold him to another club.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu May 17, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 17, 2007 2:32 pm

if we sell gonzalez, are we going to be able to sell Zenden too?
JoeTerp

Postby Elchris » Thu May 17, 2007 7:55 pm

hmmm rafa is going to have a hard time deciding on him...i'll be happy if gonzales stay..that means benitez has seen something in him and belives in him...if he goes , well that sums it all up...

on my opinion he will leave...
Elchris

Postby gato_busta » Thu May 17, 2007 8:36 pm

JoeTerp wrote:if we sell gonzalez, are we going to be able to sell Zenden too?

Zendens contract ends at the end of the season
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby JoeTerp » Thu May 17, 2007 11:04 pm

well if he doesn't come back then we are going to be desperate to sign players on the left in the summer. Kewell better have an injury free summer.
JoeTerp

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 18, 2007 1:21 am

garbage, get rid.

just not good enough and hast shown anything to suggest he ever will be good enough
112-1077774096

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill