Damien duff...

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:12 pm

Just in from sky sports,
liverpool have apparently been allowed to have talks with the winger damien duff. alongside newcastle and tottenham.

i dont know why we'd need another left winger?  ???  unless rafa planned to use him from the right?

thoughts?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:17 pm

Duff is better on the left but would be well capable of playing on the right. Gonzales can play on the right as well as far as I know.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:18 pm

BOLLOX :D
Just 'cos we had a major interest in him in the past when he was at blackburn the media just get lazy and dig up old stories to put a new angle on a current story.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:23 pm

If he ends up at Newcastle, their physios are looking at extensive overtime in the near future, what with Owen, Duff, Dyer etc. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedWolf35 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:31 pm

we will not pay 12 million for Alves but we'll pay 10+ for Duff ????

if he's not good enough for Chelski he's not good enough for us!!!!!
RedWolf35

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:58 pm

I hope we are using the Duff story as a cover while we get SWP. Maureen has already stated he is going to play 4-4-2 this season so wont need 4 wingers. SWP for about £8 - 10million would make me very happy.
account deleted by request

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:01 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:Just in from sky sports,
liverpool have apparently been allowed to have talks with the winger damien duff. alongside newcastle and tottenham.

i dont know why we'd need another left winger?  ???  unless rafa planned to use him from the right?

thoughts?

I was just watching skysports news and there was nothing on it, provide the link if it is from the website which is never as accurate anyway.

I dont beleive this story anyway, we dont need Duff, we have 2 left sided midfielders, Gonza has just arrived and Rafa clearly rates him highly and wants him to be a part of the first team so why would he go out and spend all that cash on a player that wouldent be happy on the bench, dont belive this story.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:02 pm

absolute rubbish, not heard it anywhere.

duff is a diving, cheating, out of form, injured irish tw@t.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Ive just seen it myself

" Chelsea have given Winger Damien Duff permission to talk to Liverpool Newcastle and tottenham "

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:15 pm

Ive just checked the channel and the website and there is nothing about Duff and Liverpool.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:15 pm

Link from Sky Sports Website

Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle are believed to be vying for the capture of Damien Duff.

According to Sky Sports News, Chelsea have given Duff's agent permission to speak with the Premiership trio.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho declared earlier this week that he would allow the Irishman to leave Stamford Bridge if the right offer came in, sparking immediate speculation about where he might go next.

Tottenham expressed an interest in Duff some time ago as they tabled an unsuccessful £5 million bid.

Spurs were expected to up the ante following Mourinho's comments but may now have to pull out all the stops with rival heavyweights Newcastle and Liverpool entering the race to snap up the winger.

Magpies boss Glenn Roeder has been frustrated this summer in his attempts to attract top class performers to the North East, but has reassured fans that he is still hoping to strengthen.

The whole club are in need of a boost following Alan Shearer's retirement and Michael Owen's injury, and a player of Duff's calibre would undoubtedly satisfy a demanding set of supporters.

Their chances of landing the 27-year-old flyer could recede this weekend though if they were to crash out of Europe against Lillestrom.

Liverpool's interest is the most surprising, with Reds boss Rafa Benitez insisting that his priority was the right side of midfield, not the left.

However, the Spaniard is determined to turn his side into genuine Premiership contenders and is keen to take every opportunity to bolster his squad.

Having already secured the likes of Craig Bellamy and Mark Gonzalez, it is evident that Benitez has put a lot of emphasis on pace, while the prospect of UEFA Champions League football could sway Duff towards Anfield.

The situation is sure to become clearer over the coming days, as Duff, Chelsea and the three admirers all weigh up their next move.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:18 pm

Im still not convinced about the accruracy of these reports, it makes no sense.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedWolf35 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:20 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Im still not convinced about the accruracy of these reports, it makes no sense.

100% agree

the only viable reason is that Rafa would be using this as a smokescreen or an empty threat to Sevilla
RedWolf35

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:24 pm

The thing is, if we are in for him, the likelihood is he's gonna choose us over the Spuds and Barcodes.

I heard reports up here that Boro were interested in signing Kewell the other day, but didn't read too much into it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:32 pm

chelsea and sky trying to create interest and a bidding war
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill