Damien duff...

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby GOAT » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:29 pm

Well thats that rumour gone
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:04 pm

Well, I've gone from excitement to disappointment in the space of 3 pages!  I hadn't heard of us being linked with Duff until this thread surfaced, TBH.  My view is that Duff is quality and that he is exactly the kind of wide player we need, predominantly left-footed or not.  He's got pace, is full of tricks, can switch flanks and is a goal threat.  I dont know how well he can whip in a cross with his right boot but otherwise, I'd be in for him like a shot for the RM position (and, no, his record of injuries don't worry me that much).  Once again, however, we seem to have come off second best to feckin' Newcastle.  Why quality players continue to show an interest in joining that circus is beyond me--especially with no European football on offer. :no

Dawson, mate, you must truly be seeing things that others don't because I rate Duff as a sound professional and a clean player.  As for his decision to join the 'evil empire', he was one of the first new signings in the door under Abramovich.  Hindsight is, of course, 20/20 and it's easy to look back now and say that anyone signing on at Roman's Chelsea must be a mercenary but at the time they were simply a decent enough side with an injection of new cash that promised good times for the future.  Hell, red-coloured glasses aside, which would have looked more appealing to players at the time?  Ranieri's Chelsea--already a good nucleus of players, in the CL and with cash to spend--or Houllier's Liverpool--a good nucleus of players but recent under-achievers and in the UEFA Cup?  No, I don't begrudge any player who signed up for Chelsea in that first summer, even if they by-passed Liverpool to do it.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby weringo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:27 pm

Why did Newcastle sign him, makes no sense? They have a good left winger (N'zogbia) and 2 good right wingers (Dyer and Solano). What they need is some defenders and a striker or two
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:31 pm

Shepherd is ruining that club with the money he throws at players and his daft managerial choices.

I can see them being completely fu.cked and probably relegated in the not-too-distant future.  Give it a couple of years.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:42 pm

they could never get relegated, the geordie fans are too nutty, theyd find any money somewhere. newcastle is a goldmine with the right leadership... but they will never have it so they keep fecking it up
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:52 pm

Not sure Dawson, Leeds are probably as well supported a club as newcastle and look what happened.  If they keep throwing money around like they are and don't do well in Europe it is only a matter of time before they're in big trouble imo.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:54 pm

What a pity he didnt come to us, he would have made us an awful lot better, he is a quality player that would make any team better.
He is a nice decent person also.
Typical of Newcastle this signing another big name player for shirt sales and to keep fans happy.
But they need defenders and atleast 3 strikers, if you play 4-4-2 and them two strikers get injured well your basicly fecked.
Owens out for a year, no doubt he will be a great addition to them, but they need more than Damien Duff to save them.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:57 pm

john craig wrote:Shepherd is ruining that club with the money he throws at players and his daft managerial choices.

I can see them being completely fu.cked and probably relegated in the not-too-distant future.  Give it a couple of years.

True, but newcastle is a different fan than any other from what i know. they do need to get rid of sheppard tho, and the fans will make that happen if this season dont work

and i cant beleive how everyone is gutted about this, im the only one i think who doesnt like the little twerp lol... oh yeah, me and Rafa, so im in good company hehe
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:57 pm

I think its a clever move by Newcastle - they can use him as a striker till Owen is fit and then use him as a winger.
account deleted by request

Postby madred » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:10 pm

Someone correct me if im wrong but did Rafa show any real interest in him because this all come about from nowhere? The thing is even if he knew of interest from Liverpool he would know that he wouldnt be certain of a regular place in the side? He needs first team football so he's better off there. We need the right side solved and i dont believe he was the answer. The left side is where you will get the best out of him and we have enough players in that department. Houllier needed him but Rafa's Liverpool do not.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:27 am

Pity to miss out on Duff,the guy is an absolute genius with the ball at his feet.Still young,two footed,fast,great dribbler,good finisher,and a fanatical Liverpool supporter.He says the low point of his career was getting booed at Anfield shortly after his move to Chelsea.He always dreamed of running out in front of the Kop to cheers,but there he was getting booed every time he touched the ball.

The lad was misunderstood.

He's a humble bloke, with no ego and all he wants to do is play football every week.Blackburn gave him his big chance and he was determined to repay that debt in whatever way he could.It turned out the best way to repay it was moving to the club that had offered 17 million for him.

His wages never came into it.His love of Liverpool never came into it.He simply wanted to get the best deal for Blackburn Rovers because he owed them.

That makes him a good bloke, in my opinion.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:11 am

Seems Duff chose Newcastle for guaranteed first team football

Damien Duff last night agreed to move from Chelsea to Newcastle in a £10 million deal, despite enthusiastic late advances from his long-term admirers at Liverpool.

The Irish international is due to complete his medical today on Tyneside and his arrival will offer a timely boost for Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder and his prospective team-mates, who are in Norway to take on Lillestrom in the InterToto Cup.

Winging his way north: Damien Duff's arrival will boost Newcastle 
It is understood that Liverpool matched Newcastle's bid but Duff, who also attracted a £5 million offer from Tottenham, was swayed by the prospect of effectively being guaranteed a first-team berth on the left wing.

A brief statement from St James' Park yesterday evening announced that the club had "exchanged contracts" with Chelsea and with Duff, who had agreed personal terms and was undergoing a medical.

The recruitment of Duff will doubtless help Roeder attract further new faces, as would the prospect of Uefa Cup football, which depends on today's game with Lillestrom.

"The Uefa Cup would clearly not be a disadvantage in terms of attracting new players," said Roeder, as his team attempt to improve on last week's 1-1 draw in Newcastle.
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:48 am

Damien Duff was the only person I liked at Chelsea, not just for his footballing abitily but he is just a pure gent.
I am a bit gutted he hasnt come to us TBH, I know he's a Liverpool fan and he just fits the mold for a Liverpool type player.
Oh well poor bloke will never see CL football again shame.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:26 am

Ciggy wrote:Damien Duff was the only person I liked at Chelsea, not just for his footballing abitily but he is just a pure gent.
I am a bit gutted he hasnt come to us TBH, I know he's a Liverpool fan and he just fits the mold for a Liverpool type player.
Oh well poor bloke will never see CL football again shame.

a gent? we must be talking about different people. Now im getting geordies saying how another one could have gone to us (owen) but they got him.

I never wanted duff myself, and i dont think rafa did either, maureens just trying to get us some more embarressing press, and its not working.

poor old duff, hes an injured gimp anyways
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PureLoneWolf » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:58 am

My take is that if Rafa had wanted him then fair enough, but the LFC link came out of nowhere.  Spuds were in for him, then the Geordies.  Then randomly they start adding our name to the list of interested parties...  No quotes from the club, no agent spewing offer details etc.  Just one day our name ends up on the report.

I think our "interest" was a non event based on us trying to sign him a few years back
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly

"If we lose the ball up front, if the opposition player manages to get past our forwards, and then get past me, its ok, cos I know Carra's behind me, and they aint getting past him" - Stevie G
PureLoneWolf

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill