Damien duff...

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby stmichael » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:08 pm

Hats off to his agent. Throw our name in as we did with Owen and the Barcodes chuck money at Chelsea and the player faster than you can say "sack the board".

Cue Jim White at St. James Park telling 25,000 brainless Barcodes they are bigger than Liverpool.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby davo_LFC » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:28 pm

So... we did match newcastles bid and he chose to join them instead.Hmmmmm. Dont believe that meself. surely hes got ambition and surely he would want to play for the club he supported as a boy over that joke of a club. You'll get the newcastle fans gloating again now but who gives a sh.it coz they will be fu.cked next season.

If we were in for him i'd find it really difficult to believe that he'd choose them over us. Its not like he has to do it for his international career or anything and he would get alot of playing time at us.

He would have been class for us though, right or left flank.

If we were in for him i wonder if chelski fu.cked our bid off, so he'd have no other choice...wouldnt be suprised
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:43 am

I am willing to bet any money Liverpool were not even in the race to sign Duff.

I bet Rafa never even enquired about him.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luvliverpool » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:47 am

Agree with Lando..........like Benetiz would go for him!!! I If he was going to sign a Cheatski player then it would SWP and that would be it!!

It's because we are the most liked club in England that we get linked with these cr@p stories!!!
Anfield The Home And Heart Of Football
luvliverpool

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I am willing to bet any money Liverpool were not even in the race to sign Duff.

I bet Rafa never even enquired about him.

Right you are Lando...

According to Soccernet (I posted the quote and the link in the Transfer Worries thread and can't be a.rsed doing it again), Liverpool were offered Duff but we declined to make a bid.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:01 am

apparently Newcastle have told the stock market they got duff for 5mill!!
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:53 am

from bbc

Newcastle say Duff cost them £5m 

Chelsea paid £17m to Blackburn for Duff in July 2003
Newcastle have landed winger Damien Duff for just £5m from Chelsea.
Duff, 27, signed for the Magpies on Saturday but when a statement was released to the Stock Exchange on Monday it included details of the fee.

"The directors are pleased to announce that Damien Duff passed his medical and his transfer has been completed for a fee of £5m," read the statement.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:08 pm

5mil, that's a bargain.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:25 pm

plus add ons tho definately, but it definately shows that we were never even going for him, because a bidding war would have ensued
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:27 pm

Redman in wales wrote:from bbc

Newcastle say Duff cost them £5m 

Chelsea paid £17m to Blackburn for Duff in July 2003
Newcastle have landed winger Damien Duff for just £5m from Chelsea.
Duff, 27, signed for the Magpies on Saturday but when a statement was released to the Stock Exchange on Monday it included details of the fee.

"The directors are pleased to announce that Damien Duff passed his medical and his transfer has been completed for a fee of £5m," read the statement.

that's a load of b#llocks, especially if spurs were interested in the player as well.

i despise newcastle with a passion. all they've got to entice players is money. if duff wants to win things, that's the last place you'd go. mind you, i suppose when they last won something, their kit still looked the same on tv.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:41 pm

IF - if Newcastle got him for £5 million it was a bargain and also explains Rafa's late interest. Why he would agree to go to Newcastle is unexplainable even for the sort of money they probably offered him.
account deleted by request

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:42 pm

And why would chelski accept Newcastle's 5mil bid and reject Spurs' reported 7mil bid ???
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:44 pm

whats 2 million difference to cheatski tho?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:48 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:And why would chelski accept Newcastle's 5mil bid and reject Spurs' reported 7mil bid ???

i don't think relations between spurs and chelsea have been good ever since the frank arnesen tapping up affair which is understandable. it's well known that spurs have been interested in several chelsea players in the last 6 months, including carlton cole, wayne bridge, glen johnson and before that scott parker, but the moves never came off.

also, newcastle are seen as much less of a threat to chelsea in the forseeable future.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:43 pm

Duff thrilled with Magpies move

Damien Duff has expressed delight at securing his move to Newcastle, claiming his heart told him to head to Tyneside.

The Magpies unveiled the dashing winger at a press conference at St James' Park on Monday, having secured his services from Chelsea for a £5 million fee over the weekend.

Duff has two Premiership title medals to his name, but he failed to hold down a regular place under Jose Mourinho and he is looking forward to the chance to show his class on Tyneside.

"It is special," Duff said on Sky Sports News. "Playing here before with Chelsea and Blackburn, I know it is one of the most passionate places to play in the country.

"That is one of the many factors why I wanted to come here."

Duff claims he had little doubt that Newcastle was the right place to continue his career.

"It took a couple of days (to make the decision). I spoke to the gaffer and the lads here like Scott Parker, Steve Carr and Shay Given but at the end I listened to my heart.

"Maybe there are a lot of Liverpool supporters in Ireland saying 'why didn't you sign for us?' But my heart told me to come to Newcastle United."

Duff is not expecting overnight success at St James' Park.

"I hope we can bring success," he added. "Obviously we're not kidding ourselves, it's a massive job ahead of us and we know we're not going to be challenging for the Premier League this year.

"But I'm here for five years and hope to do great things."

Duff felt the time had come for him to leave Chelsea and is looking to make a big impact in Newcastle colours.

"I just knew it was time to move on," he stated. "I only had a year left on my contract, so he (Mourinho) couldn't say no when I asked to go. There was no problem.

"I also rang Peter Kenyon a few weeks ago and said if any clubs come in for me then I would like to speak to them.

"I was as honest as the day is long with him. I said `I know I'm not guaranteed a place, and I'm not asking for that, but I have to play football'.

"Although I've had three great years, I had to go. People who don't know their stuff will say I struggled and didn't play a lot of games, but it's the complete opposite.

"At Chelsea, where there are megastars, superstars, I probably would have won more medals, but simply not played as many games as I would have liked.

"I just want to play week in and week out because when I do that I am at my best, and who's to say we won't win trophies here?

"Hopefully I can become a hero, and I'm not saying I left just to get worshipped.

"I just want to play football and be happy inside because I've not been happy for a while. I hope this is a place I can be happy."

Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd thanked Chelsea for helping to ease the deal through.

"Chelsea are happy with the deal, we are happy, so everybody is happy," said Shepherd.

"I would like to thank Chelsea personally for the way the manager, board and Peter Kenyon have handled this, they have been superb."

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder believes he has added a top-class talent to his ranks.

"I couldn't wish to make a better first signing than to bring Damien Duff here," he stated. "I feel fortunate to be working with a player of his quality.

"The chairman has done the spade work, the hard work, and has got to take a lot of credit for that. We've landed one of the best, if not the best, wide players in The Premiership."
.................................................................................

http://home.skysports.com/list.as....es+move

"Maybe there are a lot of Liverpool supporters in Ireland saying 'why didn't you sign for us?' But my heart told me to come to Newcastle United."

So does this suggest that we actually made an approach?
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill