Clint dempsey - I would have him in a flash

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 pm

I thought Adam and Lucas partnership worked last season, but when Lucas got injured Adam's form dropped massively. I think he would do a better job in a midfield of 3.

As for Dempsey, I'm still not sure he is the type of player we need, Gaston Ramirez would have been a better candidate!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Clint Dempsey coming to Liverpool has fuck all to do with Rodgers ,and everything to do with Werner . I honestly couldn't think of a player further
removed from the managers football philosophies .... If we purchase Dempsey it will not only set a precedent  but it could prove the first of many acquisitions 
that simply give Tom Werner a lob on.....
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kartiek » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:41 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:15 pm wrote:Clint Dempsey coming to Liverpool has fuck all to do with Rodgers ,and everything to do with Werner . I honestly couldn't think of a player further
removed from the managers football philosophies .... If we purchase Dempsey it will not only set a precedent  but it could prove the first of many acquisitions 
that simply give Tom Werner a lob on.....

This is unfortunately the kind of view that I get from so many people on this forum, and it really disappoints me. Rodgers has himself come out and said that he thinks highly of Dempsey and that's why he enquired about him but that's not enough for anyone. Dempsey's consistency in goals and assists and working his socks off for his shirt are also not enough for people on this forum.

I'll tell what stinks horribly. When Roy signed Joe Cole, yes free, but 29, injury prone, rotting in chelsea reserves, there were 40 pages on this forum with people literally fawning over him. Clint Dempsey, as good a footballer he is, as much as he has proven his worth in premiership, as much as he's known to give it all and work his socks off, no sir, not good enough, american, smells fishy - could never be signed by a true liverpool manager.

It's disappointing, especially since I'm one you'd label a "foreign, internet, plastic fan" (in the words of Benny, although I'll give this much to him- he sulked even when we were signing Joe Cole). Such provincial thinking, sigh...
kartiek

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Trust me mate you are no Internet foreign plastic fan - you know your stuff and you haven't learnt it from playing Football Manager. That is a very good post and you have it spot on
Benny The Noon

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Spot on Kartiek, can't see the problem with Dempsey, even for 10m! Sure we'll make that back in a year in jersey sales so who cares! Dempseys a proven goalscorer in the premiership, his big and strong, versatile and athletic!! Hes a better replacement for Maxi, and can easily be in our starting 11!

This ***** that cos he's American it's all Werner and Henrys fault is getting old! Do people really think Rodgers would have players forced upon him??

Some fans just prefer to complain and search for conspiracy theories and it's dragging the good reputation of the majority of our fans down!!
ICE-MAN

Postby ethanr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Well put Kartiek, I've felt the same.  However the Joe Cole example really couldn't be any stronger a case.  Does the fact that Dempsey is American effect the possible transfer?  Absolutely.  That doesn't mean he isn't a good player tho.  23 goals in 46 games from a midfielder is a fantastic output, and I feel he could really fit into any system Rogers has.  He's hardworking, he's extremely mobile, and he's strong.  He's a player who is intelligent enough with the ball that you can really trust him with it as well.

I too was very excited with the Cole transfer, and that really didn't turn out for us.  I would be excited for Dempsey to come here as well tho, and not just because we're both American (although that obviously ups the excitement for me) but because I think he would fit in here well.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:35 pm

ICE-MAN » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:02 pm wrote:Spot on Kartiek, can't see the problem with Dempsey, even for 10m! Sure we'll make that back in a year in jersey sales so who cares! Dempseys a proven goalscorer in the premiership, his big and strong, versatile and athletic!! Hes a better replacement for Maxi, and can easily be in our starting 11!

This ***** that cos he's American it's all Werner and Henrys fault is getting old! Do people really think Rodgers would have players forced upon him??

Some fans just prefer to complain and search for conspiracy theories and it's dragging the good reputation of the majority of our fans down!!

The problem is, Downing was a proven chance creator and at one point had the most assists in the league, then he comes to Liverpool and does f*ck all.

I'm worried that Dempsey might be another Downing, and 10m is way to much for a player of his calibre. I'd rather go spend it on someone else who is younger and has more potential
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:51 pm

10m is too much for a player with 23 goals in 46 games?!?!? C'mon your having a laugh!  Don't think u realise it won't cost us anything cos FSG will Market the Sh*t out of it in the US and wel make that money back!

How much did united spend on an unproven player in kagawa??
ICE-MAN

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:52 pm

ICE-MAN » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:51 pm wrote:10m is too much for a player with 23 goals in 46 games?!?!? C'mon your having a laugh!  Don't think u realise it won't cost us anything cos FSG will Market the Sh*t out of it in the US and wel make that money back!

How much did united spend on an unproven player in kagawa??

10m

but Kagawa has a two bundasliga titles under his belt, proven in the Champions League and top level.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:56 pm

10mil is too much for a 29 year old with one year left on his contract.
Benny The Noon

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Not the most exciting player we could sign but one who, IMO, would nevertheless be an improvement on the likes of Aquilani, Cole, Henderson and Shelvey, players who play in a similar position to Dempsey. In the Premier League for Fulham, he's consistently scored and created goals by being smart, strong and having an excellent understanding of how to exploit opportunities in the final third, especially when it comes to timing runs into the box. He's strong in the air, has a good strike on him and is well adjusted to the pace and physicality of English football. These aren't qualities you can attribute as readily to the others.

The only major questions for me are whether the manager intends to play him in his strongest position and, given his age, whether he'd be value for money. On the first point, I think he's most suited to playing as the most advanced midfielder or as a second striker. I could see it working if the manager has designs of playing him in a midfield three alongside Gerrard and Lucas as the player with most attacking licence. I don't think he's suited to playing wide in a front three, or as a lone front man, or even as a conventional midfielder who's going to dictate the play with his passing. As for what he'd cost, the figure of £10m sounds a bit steep to me, though I suppose when looked at in the context of some of our recent signings it looks an absolute bargain. So long as we don't go OTT again and still have enough money left after the deal to make a couple of big signings, I'd be all for it. Even more so if we could include Cole, Adam or Aquilani as part of the deal.
LFC2007

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Dempsey scored more goals last season than our ENTIRE midfield!
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:22 pm

I have always thought he was a striker ?  ???
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:22 pm

Kenny Kan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 pm wrote:Dempsey scored more goals last season than our ENTIRE midfield!

so did adam the season before :p .
i think the point thats being made is that look what happened when he joined us :D .
he would certainly more useful than cole but not at that kind of money being touted.
anyway cole seems to fancy his chances of being here next season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Ben Patrick » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:22 pm wrote:I have always thought he was a striker ?  ???

so did i up till a few mths ago :oops: .
i think he can play as both sort of what kuyt used to do but only better :D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill