Clint dempsey - I would have him in a flash

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:19 pm

What is to celebrate ?! That's a f*cking shitty thing to do - wouldn't want the ***** now after that.
Benny The Noon

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Phil McNulty - BBC Sport (Twitter)

"Clint Dempsey signing for Liverpool now has the same inevitable ring as Joe Allen signing for Liverpool"
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Clint Dempsey‏@clint_dempsey

There are two sides to the story

Clint Dempsey‏@clint_dempsey

The truth will come out soon.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:24 pm

plot thickens redman  :lookaround
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bowolf42 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:19 pm wrote:What is to celebrate ?! That's a f*cking shitty thing to do - wouldn't want the ***** now after that.

I know what your saying but just think about it, your near retirement age and have never had a great job and someone offers you a dream job and it's the last time this will ever happen, why should he not want to desperately come here?

If the above applied to you would you stay with the same company or leave to take a job you had possibly thought had passed you by?

Just because they are footballers we all expect them to be totally loyal but we are all blinded by our complete loyalty to the team we support.

I am possibly talking a load of ***** but I believe the above applies.
Supporting LFC is not a hobby it's more important than work, the Wife and only slightly less important than the kids!
bowolf42
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:15 pm

bowolf42 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:32 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:19 pm wrote:What is to celebrate ?! That's a f*cking shitty thing to do - wouldn't want the ***** now after that.

I know what your saying but just think about it, your near retirement age and have never had a great job and someone offers you a dream job and it's the last time this will ever happen, why should he not want to desperately come here?

If the above applied to you would you stay with the same company or leave to take a job you had possibly thought had passed you by?

Just because they are footballers we all expect them to be totally loyal but we are all blinded by our complete loyalty to the team we support.

he`s a football player not an accountant or a sales manager.
fulham took him from the obscurity of the american league and gave him a chance to play on the big stage, probably making him a multi millionaire along the way.
he hasnt got a mundane job or a mundane lifestyle, as a pro footballer he`s got probably the best job on the planet and a fantastic lifestyle, he just wants more.
and it`s a bit rich mentioning retirement, footballers retire in their mid 30`s and never have to work again.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:45 pm

I am very happy to bow to those who know better than me who have assured me that it is wrong to assume Dempsey will end up at Liverpool. @philmcnulty 40 minutes ago
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bowolf42 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:24 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:15 pm wrote:
bowolf42 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:32 pm wrote:

It is possibly not a case of the money but the chance to play with a much bigger club than Fulham which will never come round for him if he does not try and force their hand now.

Not saying I agree with it just saying that I understand

he`s a football player not an accountant or a sales manager.
fulham took him from the obscurity of the american league and gave him a chance to play on the big stage, probably making him a multi millionaire along the way.
he hasnt got a mundane job or a mundane lifestyle, as a pro footballer he`s got probably the best job on the planet and a fantastic lifestyle, he just wants more.
and it`s a bit rich mentioning retirement, footballers retire in their mid 30`s and never have to work again.
Supporting LFC is not a hobby it's more important than work, the Wife and only slightly less important than the kids!
bowolf42
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:44 am

if the reports are true and he`s not coming here i cant say i`m exactly heartbroken with the news, this always seemed a purely commercial signing to me.
i must say though that i think the club have handled this affair rather badly, we`ve obviously had discussions with fulham about dempsey and somewhere along the line it seems we`ve somehow given dempsey the impression that we were deffo going to sign him (mind you announcing his signing on the nesn website probably didnt help!).
we`ve unsettled the player to the extent he refused to go on a pre season tour and now by the looks of it he is refusing to play for fulham ever again stating he wants to sign for liverpool. the problem is we have never put in a formal bid for him and now by the looks of it we are pulling out of the deal altogether leaving fulham and dempsey at loggerheads with each other and in limbo. we have plunged fulhams pre season into chaos.
if it happened to us we`d be doing our nut, fulham football club (and probably clint dempsey) are going to think liverpool football club are the biggest shower of ***** on the planet.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58 am

LMAO @ "commercial signing"  99.9% of us over here have no idea who Clint Dempsey is.  Those who do know who he is already have clubs that they support.  This notion that Clint Dempsey would only be brought to LFC to enhance LFC's marketing attempts in the US is absolutely *****.

He would have (I don't think we'll sign him) given us depth across 5 of the front 6 positions.  It would not have been a move to have him as a part of the first XI.  Depth move.  And it would have made sense for around 5 mill.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:06 am

The Good Yank » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:58 pm wrote:LMAO @ "commercial signing"  99.9% of us over here have no idea who Clint Dempsey is.  Those who do know who he is already have clubs that they support.  This notion that Clint Dempsey would only be brought to LFC to enhance LFC's marketing attempts in the US is absolutely *****.

He would have (I don't think we'll sign him) given us depth across 5 of the front 6 positions.  It would not have been a move to have him as a part of the first XI.  Depth move.  And it would have made sense for around 5 mill.

you want to mention that to tom werner, he said in an interview that he wanted to grow our fanbase in the u.s and the quickest way to do that would be to sign an american player.
i think carroll refusing to budge probably didnt help dempsey`s chances of arriving here either. they probably didnt want carroll and dempsey sitting on the bench.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby GRIMM599 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:32 am

GRIMM599

Postby ethanr » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:14 am

Be interesting to hear "his side of the story" but I never support players refusing to play for their club, regardless of where they're trying to push a move to.  Very disappointed in you Clint.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Raoul » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:30 am

I imagine there is more to this story that meets the eye. It is possible we've handled it badly as ycsatbjywhatever suggests, but in the end refusing to play football for your employer is pretty low.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:06 am

The Good Yank » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:58 pm wrote:LMAO @ "commercial signing"  99.9% of us over here have no idea who Clint Dempsey is.  Those who do know who he is already have clubs that they support.  This notion that Clint Dempsey would only be brought to LFC to enhance LFC's marketing attempts in the US is absolutely *****.

Agreed... I even think that he can be a starter if we play 4-4-2... I think he can improve on downing and definitely better than Henderson as a wide player... And I'm not even an American...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill