Valencia - Signs for man u

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:06 pm

Looks like they think this guy will replace Ronaldo:

nchester United have signed Wigan Athletic winger Antonio Valencia on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old Ecuador international is manager Sir Alex Ferguson's first signing since Cristiano Ronaldo signed for Real Madrid in a £80m transfer.

"Antonio is a player we have admired for some time now, having spent the last two years in the Premier League with Wigan," said Ferguson.

Valencia's transfer is reported to have cost United as much as £16m.

"I am sure his pace and ability will make a significant contribution to the team," added Ferguson.

United have been in contact with Wigan over a deal for Valencia over the last "two to three months", according to Latics chairman Dave Whelan.

"I have enjoyed my time at Wigan, but I am thrilled to have the chance to challenge for the biggest honours in club football here," said Valencia, who scored three goals for Wigan last season.

"Playing in front of 76,000 fans alongside players like Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs will be an amazing experience. I can't wait to get started."

Valencia has played 34 times for Ecuador, scoring four goals.

"I hope the fans at Wigan can understand that I am an ambitious guy and achance like this might never come again for me," said Valencia, who will be 24 next month.

"I am happy that the club has benefited from the move financially because I owe them such a lot. I have had a great time here."

Valencia's transfer is a club record for Wigan, but his departure leaves new Latics manager Roberto Martinzez with the task of finding a suitable replacement.

-----------------------------------------------------------

SSN reckon they've spent £18m other rumours of £16m. I reckon its a bit steep but thats just my opinion. He isn't a great goalscorer but he is a little tricky player who might bolster their midfeild but I do still think there's something missing from their midfield

Your thoughts?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Migueldadon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:31 pm

Hes good, but nothing special to be honest.
Migueldadon

Postby aCe' » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:45 pm

Very good player and probably the best right winger in the premiership today with Ronaldo gone... Ferguson usually gets his signings spot on whether people agree with them or not.. Even Berbatov who many seem to regard as something of a flop contributed quite a bit for their success this season... they have many options going forward, and have always had and thats the main reason imo why they keep winning the league... they have/had people like Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney who are willing to dribble past players and carry the ball forward themselves... have others like Park, Teves and Anderson who work hard all over and allow others the space and time on the ball through their good movement.. and they have players like Scholes and Carrick who quite simply link everything together and make sure others are able to do what they do best...

Valencia imo is going to be the direct replacement to Ronaldo.. It'll probably mean that Rooney will be moved back to a forward position with Park/Nani/Giggs offering the cover down the left flank... After whats happened last season though, im pretty sure Ferguson will be looking to add yet another winger to his squad before going on to address the attacking position... He had to move rooney to the flank to give the team a little more balance and it was pure genius from Ferguson imo.... I expect Ribery, Silva or someone of similar quality to join Manutd sometime soon.. hope its not robben though because i think he'd make them a much much better side and would fit perfectly in their side.. 

they use 4 forwards against most of the smaller sides... Rooney, Ronaldo, Berbatov and Teves/Park... With Ronaldo and Teves out of the picture and only Valencia in im expecting atleast one more attacking signing if theyr going to stick to their same setup for next season..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 pm

best right winger? really? I know his job isn't purely to score goals but 6 in two years doesn't exactly say best in the Prem. Maybe playing for them will allow him to exploit his attacking capabilities more than at Wigan but right now I really don't see him filling Ronaldo's boots.

Got to say though he is a pacey, tricky little player tho

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby aCe' » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Greavesie wrote:best right winger? really? I know his job isn't purely to score goals but 6 in two years doesn't exactly say best in the Prem. Maybe playing for them will allow him to exploit his attacking capabilities more than at Wigan but right now I really don't see him filling Ronaldo's boots.

Got to say though he is a pacey, tricky little player tho

got any better names ? Hes better than SWP and Park and Walcott..miles aheado f Lennon and Bentley aswell... dont see many names in the running really but if your talking about Kuyt then i guess thats the end of the argument... A.Young if he had been playing down the right would have been a good shout but as things are J.Milner is for Villa and i think Valecia is the better player of the two...

Again, goals arent everything and not many wingers are know for their goalscoring talents... actually some of the best wingers in the world dont score many... Robben, Ribery, Silva..etc
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:45 pm

you said it mate, Kuyt! better than valencia in every aspect an i know who'd i rather have play for LFC anyday-dirk wins hands down every time.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:30 am

Titus Bramble scores more goals than this guy Image
Last edited by Dundalk on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:52 am

Yea well... means fck all dundalk and you know it..
Kuyt scored more goals last season than Silva, Robben and Hleb combined.... means absolutely nothing because anyone with half a brain would take any of the three ahead of him any day of the week !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:30 am

Someone with a half a brain wouldn't recommend deco or rate pennant for that matter.

Valencia , good little player , with tremendous amount of pace ,not as much as ronaldo and he certainly won't be getting as many goals as him but the mancs at the end of the day just need 1 goal to win , last season they had 16 1-0 wins in the league and thats where their defense to be thanked , valencia will offer brown/rafael more protection than ronaldo ever did on the right flank and that i feel will be the difference. Still 18 million for him is pretty steep but clubs now that manu have money thus prices are going to be inflated even more . As for best right winger in the league , i'd rather have milner or kuyt at the end of the goals win you matches , how many assist did valencia have last season as opposed to kuyt and where would we have been in the league and eruope without kuyt's goals and assists ?
Last edited by Toffeehater on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:11 pm

aCe' wrote:Yea well... means fck all dundalk and you know it..
Kuyt scored more goals last season than Silva, Robben and Hleb combined.... means absolutely nothing because anyone with half a brain would take any of the three ahead of him any day of the week !

Still its not just last season his record is bad it more or less EVERY year, and for what its worth i honestly wouldnt swap Kuyt for Robben or Hleb, maybe Silva. Do you honestly think that Robben would fit into the one for all and all for one  Benitez ethos of the team.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:15 pm

No chance at all he wouldn't get into our first 11. Would take Kuyt or Yossi over him anyday.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Valencia

08/09  Goals  3   Assists  5
07/08  Goals  3   Assists  4
06/07  Goals  1   Assists  1

Kuyt

08/09  Goals  12    Assists 8
07/08  Goals  3      Assists  8
06/07  Goals  12    Assists  4

If Valencia comes anywhere near the 12 goals and 8 assists that Dirky boy got last year then he will have had a very good season.

Premiership stats only
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:27 pm

He was playing for Wigan ffs.. and still making headlines... anyways we'll see about him next season i guess.. Manutd and Madrid wanted him so im guessing yea you guys are probably right.. Kuyt and Benayoun are better than him, and so is Milner ! ???

And Toffee, Deco is still one of the best midfielders around and thats why other top clubs are after him... Funny how people are really starting to believe that Kuyt is indeed the best right wing in the league with ronaldo gone... i guess we'll just have to wait and see what he does next season and if the goals/deflections keep coming his way ...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:43 pm

funny how you think Valencia's the best right winger in the league when the scum sign him :;):

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Greavesie wrote:funny how you think Valencia's the best right winger in the league when the scum sign him :;):

He was the 2nd after Ronaldo and with Ronaldo gone hes the best in the league now....
Im talking about ability, not goals scored or assists or any of that... looking at goals scored and assists, you wouldnt think the likes of Robben, Silva, Mancini, Maxi, Cazorla...etc are anywhere near as good as they are in reality....

again... we'll see how he does with a better side next season and then we'll get back to this discussion...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion