The press and the british game

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby footballfanatic » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:29 am

HI! Im currently preparing an article for a well known football monthly magazine (not allowed to say which one!) about how the press is influencing UEFA and FIFA's stance toward English fans ahead of the Euro 2004 tournament and the qualifying for Germany 2006. I need some feedback and views from proper football fans, i.e YOU(!) about this matter and how the British press highlights the hooligan problem in Britain. Any personal stories would be great but a one line answer would also be fine.

cheers for your help!
footballfanatic

Postby greenred » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:59 am

Im not sure I understand your question.Are you implying the british press is trying to undermine englands participation in euro 2004?Why would they want to do that?surely a month of summer football in portugal will produce more column inches than a hooligan inspired ban.From a personal point of view I have seen both sides of england fans.In 1988 stuttgart a load of carlisle england supporters saved me from a major hiding by a bunch of turks intent on beating the sh##e out of me.They also recovered most of my stolen money ,and this is the unbelievable bit,gave me the rest out of their own pockets!! Remember ireland had just beaten england that afternoon and these blokes insisted they were the hardest nastiest england fans around.I was wearing my ireland shirt by the way! I experienced the other side in 1995  .My girlfriend(now wife) was on the north stand of lansdowne road with her sister while I could only get a ticket for the south stand.Everybody remembers that match,ireland took the lead and all hell broke loose leading to the match being abandoned.Well on her way out to meet me a group of england fans who had escaped the garda ran towards my wife  and one of the ba#ta#ds kicked her in the stomach.She was pregnant at the time.The kid was ok thank God but it was a miracle he survived.If I could get hold of that bloke even now I would stick his boot right up his a#se and pull it out through his mouth.
Well thats my experience of england fans for what its worth.Personally im amazed they werent banned years ago so to hear them claiming victimisation now makes me laugh.Liverpool with the greatest fans in the world were made to pay an obscene price for one tragic dodgy wall.RIP all those juventus fans.Maybe england fans are the subject of a witch hunt by the media and maybe they dont deserve it any more, but thats for english people to decide.
If by some miracle any of those england fans from stuttgart are reading.......THANKS AGAIN!!!!
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:24 am

FROM IRELAND MYSELF AND I THINK IRISH FANS HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION BUT NO MATTER WHERE IN THE WORLD YOU ARE THERE IS TRUE SUPPORTERS AND THERE ARE OTHERS WHO GO TO CAUSE TROUBLE
THESE ARE NOT TRUE FANS
I GO TO LIVERPOOL EVERY SO OFTEN AND LUCKILY FOUND ALL SUPPORTERS TO BE GOOD NATURED ALWAYS UP FOR A CRACK AND NO TROUBLE
BUT IF YOU GO LOOKING FOR IT NO MATTER WHERE I'M SURE YOU'LL FIND IT
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion