Man u, first british world club champs.. - Could it have been us?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:43 am

And indeed, does it matter anyway. I was just reflecting back on when we played that Brazillian outfit who were absolutely garbage in the final and got done 1-0. A combination of some bad luck and some extreme styling put paid to our chances, but does it matter?

Will we ever be looking back on a chance that was missed to write the history books, or will the competition forever remain a heap of sh!t with no prestige whatsoever?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:45 am

Didnt even know the final was today.
SupitsJonF

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:43 am

Yes it could have been us. No, I couldn't care less.

Yes, Ferguson was lucky to play the first team of Ecuador winning the Libertadores, no Boca Juniors, no brazilian team. Lucky lucky manager.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:02 pm

I think it will probably grow in status over the next 10 years, and probably become more important. As it is now, I hate to see the mancs win anything but would be quite happy if thats all they win this season.

I remember years ago when we played in a similar competition and Zico ripped us apart. Who cares now?
account deleted by request

Postby Big Niall » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Zico was the first player I ever thought "how the hell can he do that" - class player.

I was actually gutted when we lost to that rubbish brazilian team. I really wanted the world champions label.

Now that Manure won it though - I say it is meaningless and a title we didn't even bother playing for a couple of times in the late 1970s.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:42 pm

That competition is a joke.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:48 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:That competition is a joke.

Sums it up nicely. Even if the South Americans had been a decent side, the format itself is a joke. It was lined up to be Europe vs South America in the final and that's what it was. Difference between the mancs and us is they were lucky to face a poor side, we were just unlucky outright.

They should go back to the Intercontinental Cup, Europe vs South America in a one off like the UEFA Super Cup. Problem is that it would be mocked for resembling the Intertoto Cup in name.

EDIT : on a serious note I'd like to say well done manchester united - for turning up and not making a balls up of the easiest gift of a trophy imaginable. You made hard work of it, well done (in the most sarcastic tone of "well done" you can imagine)
Last edited by Owzat on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:40 pm

It should have been us but for some ridiculous referee decisions.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:42 pm

what on earth is this thread doing here ??? f off man u.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Sabre wrote:Yes it could have been us. No, I couldn't care less.

agreed.

BTW I didn't want to make up a new topic so I'll put this here-

Mwanck Utd Sponsor:

The troubled US insurer AIG will not be renewing its shirt sponsorship deal with Manchester United that expires in May 2010.

AIG agreed to pay £14m-a-year for four years for the shirt sponsorship and also has a longer £5m-a-year deal to run MU Finance.

It is currently restructuring itself, having received a $150bn (£109bn) bail-out from the US government.

It is not clear whether the MU Finance deal will continue.

AIG signed a six-and-a-half year deal at the beginning of 2008 to offer insurance, credit cards and mortgages using the MU Finance brand.

Manchester United said that it had already started talking to a select group of potential sponsors.

Its spokesman added that it was normal to begin the process this early because technical issues surrounding the manufacturing of shirts meant that it has to know who will be its shirt sponsor for the 2010/2011 season by the autumn.

Last week in Macau, Manchester United chief executive David Gill said he would not be surprised if the AIG shirt sponsorship deal was not renewed.

AIG has already ended its sponsorship deal with the US Davis Cup tennis team.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hope they don't find a sponsor to soon :D  :D

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:39 pm

:D  yeah for real. Heard about that today.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion