Thierry henry press conference

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:26 pm

ACE,

I agree with what you're saying about players showing the supporters of their club a bit more curtsey by being straight with them but I think we have to sympathise with the players here & especially Henry whose head must be in a whirlwind of thought about whether to remain at Arsenal or move to seek a new experience and a new challenge in his career. And it's not like he did an Owen and tell the press that a deal was almost agreed and then sod off. He's simply said he will decide at the end of the season, which is fair enough.

It can't be easy for him and I suppose he will decide his future on the outcome of the Champions league altho I stand by what I've said, even if he does win the Champions League with Arsenal it will just be an extra sweet send off for him.
48-1119859832

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:36 pm

It's funny isn't it? Some people here are saying that Henry should tell the fans the truth, as it would be fair to them to know what’s going on.

Well Gerrard did this. Everyone knew everything he was thinking, that he was a bit paranoid that Rafa didn’t want him, he was pi$$ed off because we didn’t sort out his contract very quickly, that he really thought about going to Chelsea, but then he changed his mind cos he wanted to stay and be a legend at Liverpool. And he got completely slated for it, by myself included. Now we all know he was wrong to even think of leaving, but he did tell the fans the truth, almost to his detriment.

I’d imagine Owen was feeling pretty much the same things as Gerrard at the start of last season, but he kept making excuses to the press about the contract being discussed, and his agent being on holiday. Basically biding his time before he made his decision, which was to leave. There’s no doubt Owen was a bit cannier with the press, but some feel that he was stringing us along.

Which method would you prefer really?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mighty mo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:45 pm

he will be definately leaving because the champions league trophy  is going to barcelana, they will beat arsenal with ease in the final
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:47 pm

mighty mo wrote:he will be definately leaving because the champions league trophy  is going to barcelana, they will beat arsenal with ease in the final

Milan said that about us :p
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:55 pm

stmichael wrote:Which method would you prefer really?

The truth.

Gerrard might of been criticised for ever wanting to leave and none of us understood. But at least he told the truth.
The Henry and Owen situations are where it appears the player is blatantly witholding from telling the fans the truth, just to save going through a difficult time, Mcmanaman f'cked us off and went abroad but at least we knew that was his attentions pretty early.
If i was an Arsenal fan i would want to know the truth and as early as possible whether it be bad news or not.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:01 pm

Its not good to wind a player like him up sp much before an inportant match. his concentration could be off and wreck his game :D but knowing Henry hell probably score a hatrick. Whatever he does, he has my hats off to him. A truly world class player indeed.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mark 23 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:06 pm

I think by making his decision now it would 'rock the boat' with some important games coming up, possibly becuase he will be leaving.

my mate was having a go at Arsene Wenger saying that he said 'The Champions League should be for champions'.

I can't believe what he said about our CL run last year, :censored:
Mark 23

Postby Mark 23 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:07 pm

I think Henry is awesome to watch, a real class act, but I think Villareal will knock the gunners out of Europe.
Mark 23

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:19 pm

Its funny reading this thread how many people are saying Henry should leave and he doesn't owe arsenal anything because as someone as already said the arsenal fans would have been saying the same things last year when all the speculation was about Gerrard.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:20 pm

It really is a difficult situation. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. He has been sensational in this league, obviously well suited to the premier league, things are looking up for Arsenal with the new stadium, excellent young players coming through, among them theo Walcott, hes loved by both fans and manager .....could anyone leave all that behind and join another league where ya might have Italian hatchet men standing on his toes for 90 minutes.?
Unless it was the "very best" with ridiculous money Id stay put.
So if he has made up his mind-
I also prefer him coming out and saying it. He owes it to the fans -okay he has gave them great times but he was well paid to do so.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:23 pm

LMFAO I just found this on SSN

Real Madrid director of football Benito Floro admits he has urged the club's top brass to try and secure the signings of Steven Gerrard and Adriano.

Floro, who managed Real between 1992-94, rejoined Los Merengues back in December to take up the post of director of football after the departure of Italian Arrigo Sacchi.

He was charged with completely revamping the sporting set-up of the club from youth to first-team level, including identifying transfer targets.

He recently delivered a report to president Fernando Martin with his findings which included the proposal of installing German, and current Getafe boss, Bernd Schuster as coach.

The report also contained his recommendations on possible signings and he has now conceded Gerrard was on the list, adding he was a player Real have tried to sign previously.

"I recommended as a priority the signing of a powerful centre forward, like Adriano, and a top class midfielder in case Zidane leaves," he stated.

"Gerrard is a footballer that I include in that list, he's a player that the club have wanted to sign in previous seasons."

Meanwhile, reports in Portugal claim that Real are considering other Premiership targets, with the A Bola newspaper insisting that Fulham pair Luis Boa Morte and Wayne Bridge - who is on loan from Chelsea - are also on the Spaniards' wish-list.

LOL! Should he stay or should he go? :D
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Mark 23 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:25 pm

that was on the BBC website and it has been on the local news, I doubt it will happen
Mark 23

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:50 pm

Henry is a lot of the reason that Arsenal are in the CL semis at the moment. In this regard, in terms of a player that can conjure a match-winning performance from absolutely nothing, he's been even more important to them than Viera.

He's one of the few players in the Premiership outside the team that I support that I feel no shame in applauding, and I think that's the case with many genuine football fans in this country. He's just a wonderful advert for the game. Not only with the goals he scores, not only the way he scores them, but the way he tempers his artistry with a phenomenal work ethic. He gets the hump like many French footballers do, but he reacts in exactly the right way. Remember that 25 yard free kick he smashed in against Wigan after the ref refused to let him take a quick one? Sure, his "was that okay?" to Graham Poll was cocky as hell, but wouldn't you want every LFC player to react in such a positive way, instead of letting their blood boil and making their next challenge the rashest one they'll make all afternoon?

If he leaves Arsenal, I don't think they can complain too much. Wenger has fashioned a good young side, but when a player like him has won trophies in an all conquering side, and sees team-mates of the ilk of Viera leave and be replaced with players that aren't a fraction of his quality, then I can completely understand him wanting to move on. They aren't the side they were 2 or 3 years ago, and to be honest he's the kind of player that deserves to be on the highest stage week in, week out. At the moment he's the best player at his club by far, but I think it'll mean more to him to be in a team where he has to be on his game every time he turns out to get the headlines. At Barca, that's exactly the scenario he'd be faced with, and I don't think he'll be able to turn them down.

He'll be a huge, huge, huge loss to the Premiership, but I tell you what, I'd happily pay to see the current Barca squad play next season if they add Henry to their ranks. On paper they'd be an absolutely frightening team.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:14 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:He's one of the few players in the Premiership outside the team that I support that I feel no shame in applauding, and I think that's the case with many genuine football fans in this country. He's just a wonderful advert for the game...

...He'll be a huge, huge, huge loss to the Premiership...

Definitely agree with that, mate...

I don't really think Henry "owes" Arsenal anything at this stage...he's done an awful lot for the club and deserves the right to seek new challenges if that's what he wants.

From a purely selfish perspective, though, I don't want him to leave.  All we get on telly here are "EPL" games and he's wonderful to watch (except against us!).  Saturday mornings wouldn't quite be the same!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Paul C » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:50 pm

Anfield rapper wrote:LMFAO I just found this on SSN

Real Madrid director of football Benito Floro admits he has urged the club's top brass to try and secure the signings of Steven Gerrard and Adriano.

Floro, who managed Real between 1992-94, rejoined Los Merengues back in December to take up the post of director of football after the departure of Italian Arrigo Sacchi.

He was charged with completely revamping the sporting set-up of the club from youth to first-team level, including identifying transfer targets.

He recently delivered a report to president Fernando Martin with his findings which included the proposal of installing German, and current Getafe boss, Bernd Schuster as coach.

The report also contained his recommendations on possible signings and he has now conceded Gerrard was on the list, adding he was a player Real have tried to sign previously.

"I recommended as a priority the signing of a powerful centre forward, like Adriano, and a top class midfielder in case Zidane leaves," he stated.

"Gerrard is a footballer that I include in that list, he's a player that the club have wanted to sign in previous seasons."

Meanwhile, reports in Portugal claim that Real are considering other Premiership targets, with the A Bola newspaper insisting that Fulham pair Luis Boa Morte and Wayne Bridge - who is on loan from Chelsea - are also on the Spaniards' wish-list.

LOL! Should he stay or should he go? :D

Whats this gotta do with Henry? try looking in the Rumours section of the site  :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion