Biggest names in british football? - Chelsea? you are having a laugh

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby maximus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:45 am

FROM BBC WEBSITE:

Hill-Wood dismisses Chelsea plans 

Arsenal charman Hill-Wood insists money cannot buy history
Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has his dismissed Chelsea's plans to become Britain's biggest club as "fantasy".
Hill-Wood spoke out as Arsenal's turnover broke the £200m barrier after their move to the Emirates Stadium.

He said: "I don't want to run Chelsea down, but one has to concede Manchester United and Liverpool are probably the biggest names in UK football.

"For Chelsea to think they are suddenly going to dominate United and Liverpool is fantasy. It is not going to happen."

606: DEBATE
Is Hill-Wood right? 

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has spoken of his desire to "turn the world blue" - but Stamford Bridge has been rocked by the departure of coach Jose Mourinho.

And they attracted a crowd of less than 25,000 for last week's Champions League game against Rosenborg at Stamford Bridge, Mourinho's final game in charge.

Hill-Wood added: "I found it very surprising Chelsea had only 25,000 for a Champions League game.

"We will win the Champions League. It's just when is the question.

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon

"Our fan-base probably started in the 30s and it's been handed down from father to son and so on. It takes 100 years to build and about 100 minutes to destroy.

"Money is irrelevant to history and how big your club is."

Chelsea chief executive Kenyon recently outlined the club's plans to dominate the game under owner Roman Abramovich.

He said: "It's building that dynasty. That's what Roman wants to be part of, Chelsea becoming part of Europe's dynasty. We had a 10-year vision for the club. It was about building a team that was successful, not once but consistently.

"Over a 10-year period, you need two European Cups to be a world club. You have to dominate your domestic league. We have to have an infrastructure to deal with that and people to deal with it.

"We will win the Champions League. It's just when is the question. We've got a squad, a structure, a belief and we've got quality. And I do believe the Champions League is not that far away."

Arsenal insist their financial strength demonstrates they have no need for new overseas investment, and hope to fight off any new moves by Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov, who is aiming to increase his 21% shareholding.

Hill-Wood said: "I don't think Roman Abramovich has helped the Russian cause. The board at Arsenal is completely united and has no intention of not remaining so.

"The idea of us selling out to whoever is simply not on the agenda."

--------------------------------

When you read statements like this from a well respected individual within the game (IMO) it puts into perspective what we as a club have achieved over a very long period of time, creating a dynasty that can not be matched by mere finance alone, but has to be created and moulded by sustained success over a long period of time.

What makes this statement even more remarkable is it is made on the back of Arsenal breaking through the 200 million pound turnover barrier catapulting them into being possible the worlds richest club, if there was ever an opportunity to gloat that surely would have been it.

I for one am proud to be called a Liverpool supporter.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:22 am

there was a guy on talksport complaining about the happenings at chelsea, and this first line sums them up:

I've been a chelsea supporter for 4 years now and not happy at all and might rip up my season ticket

:laugh:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:47 am

dawson99 wrote:there was a guy on talksport complaining about the happenings at chelsea, and this first line sums them up:

I've been a chelsea supporter for 4 years now and not happy at all and might rip up my season ticket

Surely that was someone taking the pish dawson lad  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:51 pm

Well the mancs have bought half their history. I've compared the bigger clubs over the history of the Premiership and the mancs have had the most expensive XI more often than not, very rarely are they not right up there. So they have bought the title and that CL fluke so their history is mostly made up of bought titles whereas before it was made up of 27 years without a title. So they had more hisotry than Chelsea, so do villa (most titles are pre WWI and II), everton, Newcastle (not won a decent trophy in donkey's years) etc.

Finding a top flight regular with less history than Chelski would provide a real challenge
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:05 pm

If Kenyon hadn't got into football he'd be a f'ucking estate agent !

I don't take a blind bit of notice to anything he's says . the world of football would be a far better place if sharp suited fast talking mercenary kunts like him were given a firm boot up the a'rse out of the football exit door . As much as the sh'ite spouted by oppo managers sometimes p'isses me off they are at least football men , Kenyon is just a little money grubbing a'rse kissing  kunt.
:angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maximus » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:19 pm

Monday, September 24, 2007
Team Wanted
Bandwagoners, everywhere, are searching despondently for a new team to support. Following the abrupt departure of Jose Mourinho from Chelsea, fickle emotionless fans from across the globe are frantically trying to decide on a new club to put their half-hearted but loud-mouthed support behind. The list heavily favors the clubs Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City and Newcastle, currently.

Clark Frey of Boston was upset about the timing of Mourinho’s departure. “Like :censored: man, the season has just begun. How the :censored: am I going to choose a new team after six or seven games when the league table can change so much over the next few weeks. I’m sure as :censored: not going to be faced with dealing with a second place season like last year by picking Liverpool too early.” Frey was so upset that he changed the wallpaper on his cell phone back to Jessica Biel.

Sandra Hogan of Melbourne was even more upset the split between owner Abramovich and “The Special One” had occurred after an Arsenal-Tottenham match. “It would have been part of that. But now, even if I choose the Arsenals, and I’m not saying I will, I won’t even be able to post :censored: all over my MySpace page about the derby win. It’s depressing,” claimed the salesclerk.

Jae Hong Li, a graduate student at the Sorbonne, reported, “I watched the Chelsea Blues play the Manchester Uniteds in hopes that I wouldn’t have to buy all new paraphernalia, but after the game, I realized that Arsenal was the most awesome team in the world. And my main man Fabregas is the :censored: bomb. We are going to skull- :censored: the rest of the league this year. And we’ll win the Champion’s League too, unless we come across my boys for Barcelona or Milan. They rock too!“

Pathetic glory-chasing fans are worried about having to learn things again, such as the manager, owner, captain, leading scorer, country, city, badge and cool reference name for potential new teams. John Forsythe in Toronto was keen to choose Villa as he would be able to refer to himself as a Villian, however he is worried that their current eight place position would leave him with absolutely nothing to brag about to fellow :censored:tards. Meanwhile, Dorian Hilbert of Los Angeles was texting friends frantically to find out who was the John Terry of Manchester United. Blaise Cathros of DeMoises was excited to become a Citeh fan due to the similar color of their “shirts” as his once beloved Chelsea. Unfortunately he was disappointed to find that they were sky blue or “real fag like” as Blaise described them.

maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:25 am

edit.
Last edited by dawson99 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:56 am

Chelsea aren't even the biggest name in London, let alone British football.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:27 pm

I believe the biggest name in English league football is Wolverhampton Wanderers - seem to recall it being most letters in the name leastwise!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:52 pm

:D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jmknight » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:56 pm

oh dear???
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."
jmknight

Return to Premiership - General Discussion