Technology - Is the time right

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:21 am

Once again we have seen blatant refereeing mistakes.

There are mistakes in every single game. So either the FA, fifa and fans should start growing up, and realize its 2005, and bring in technology and other forms of changes, or the game will become a shaggy dog story.

In any business, you have governing bodies, SEC, in my industry for example, the FDA in the drug industry. The governing bodies' duty is to protect the consumer (people that watch the game) and businesses (the clubs) to trade in a reasonable and fair dealing market place, or the consumer at some point will lose confidence and not buy the products and  services of the company and that particular industry. And if all governing bodies in a country, one way or the other cant achieve that for the market place, Moody's and S & P will downgrade the country and therefore investors in general will lose confidence and  perish, and could lead the industry (football in this case) to  extinction.

i am speaking purely in a business sense, i know supporters will still watch the game, but if we look at football as a business (which is what it is) then failures by the governing body will lead to advantges to particular clubs. it will expand the gap between the haves and have nots in relation to revenue, if a club is continuously winning contentious decisions they will win more trophies and therefore gain extra revenue, the clubs who are the victims of these decisions will only suffer.

i know its all part of the game and its great to argue about afterwards but these mistakes can eventually force a club out of business, one mistake can see a team relegated and then suffer a huge loss of revenue.

i would like to see technology used, maybe just for one season initially to see how it works.

what do you all think?
112-1077774096

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:26 am

Good point, peewee

I was also wondering why not. For example: we may use censor system to define off-side; multi-angle cameras may be benefited to assist referee in deciding e.g. handsball. The only reason I was able to find is that technology use may reduce the empowerment of too many referees.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:29 am

i write something intelliegent and get one response, amazing.

i am sure if the title had the words flange or tads in people would respond
112-1077774096

Postby addicted norwegian » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:58 am

Imo there should have been some kind of censors defining off-side, that shouldn`t be too much of a problem. But when it comes to other fouls, I think it will be difficult if one becomes to dependant of a computer or whatever. Even if a computer "signals" for a hand ball it will still be up to the judgement of the ref, weather it should be given a free-kick or a pen. Same goes for tackle`s, holding shirts etc. Just got a horror vision, btw; Diving van Nistledick releasing his book after his career has ended, bearing the title: "How I fooled the machine".

But then again, I would like to have had some kind of neck-band-technology on that ****** Riley when we played Chelsea, allowing me to give him electric shocks at my will
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:58 am

peewee wrote:i write something intelliegent and get one response, amazing.

Tads? Flange???   Where??? :devil: 

I think we should have technology, but limited to goal line did it/didn't it cross the line stuff and maybe tight penalty decisions
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm

youve always been intelligent in yer posts peewee  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:48 pm

If all this technology was introduced, we would have nothing to discuss on here,,,,,,,
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:47 pm

yeah your right leon, my cerebral control device writes these messages for me, as i lay on an exotic beach faraway. it has centrino technology you know :D :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:20 pm

Woollyback wrote:

I think we should have technology, but limited to goal line did it/didn't it cross the line stuff and maybe tight penalty decisions

agree with that, i think they should put a sensor on the goal line, like they use in tennis, this would clear up any problems with decisions on the ball crossing the line. I dont really agree with using camera's all over the pitch for fouls though, i mean where would you draw the line, if camera's were introduced say for penalty decisions then sooner or later managers will want free kicks, then throw ins and so on. It could lead to a stop, start game ruining the spectacle.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:50 pm

who needs a goal sensor, i'll do the reffing :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:59 pm

.. Interesting idea to pilot the use of technology to see how it enables refrees to do a "better" job.. I suppose there are some draw baks to overcome and test during such a period :
    - the number of stoppages in any one game .... how many on average (though 
      I know as many as it takes will be the case .. and not many controversial
      decisons in any one game)
    - when one decision is based on a "replay" decision how many others will
      referees be pressured to refer to the "third ref" ... (clear rules needed   
      obviously)
    - will it be the beginning of the end of refrees as we know them.. ? :D

I say a trial is worth a try... but... we may not get the same controvacies again.. Carragher moans about Riley and then get's away with a handball himself.. :p decisions even themselves out .. who said that :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:59 pm

BTW Peewee.. what happened to your cute Avatar.. just don't feel like u .. :;):
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:11 am

I think Tottenham would had loved if they had a goal sensor today.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby marcus.c » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:36 am

It WAS quite a blatant incident where the ball had obviously crossed the line. But it would be difficult to put all the blame on the match officials. Medes lobbed from near the half way line almost 50m from goal. The ref would not get a clear view from there. And you cannot expect the assistant ref who was following the Man Utd back line to sprint 50m in a split sec to see if the ball had crossed the line.

There was no chance at all for the officials to verify the goal. I am for the use of video evidence but I also believe it should be only used if the ref is in doubt.

for example, the controversy surrounding Tiago during Liverpool and Chelsea match could be cleared by television as replays would help the man in the middle decide if it was a handball or it was a ball to hand.

Players and managers, who have a vested interest in the game, will always complain about decision and demand to see replays. That is why only ref will decide what should be reviewed.

The importance of the ref should not be diminished by unhappy players and managers. The flow of the game would be disrupted and football could end up like a ruby match with numerous pauses. Furthermore, incidents like Mendes lob are few and far between.

Right or Wrong, the ref's decision is final.
marcus.c

Postby Judge » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:42 am

its been successful in rugby, so why not football? video reffing is the best idea.

what if the ball sensor malfunctions and says its over the line when it isnt!!

video reffing only takes a few seconds, and it would add more excitement to an already exciting game......bring it on thats what i say
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion