The old firm in the premiership - Should they be allowed?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:11 pm

this debate has come back to the forefront again this week with one of the celtic executives trying to push a deal through for the old firm to join the premiership. i just wandered whether you think it should be allowed to happen or not? i think that it eventually will happen for financial reasons more than anything else. as much as we are talking o'neill up to be our next boss i see it is his dream to manage celtic in the premiership. here are the arguments.

1) would it benefit the scottish game in any way? yes it would mean that there would be several teams battling for the title every season. on the down side would anyone be interested in scottish football without the old firm. could you rally envisage aberdeen or kilmarnock in the champions league?

2) people have argued that they should have to work their way up through the english leagues, as other non-english teams had to e.g. cardiff, swansea, wrexham. this will not happen obviously.

3) fifa have already shelved plans to cut the premiership to 18 teams. if celtic and rangers come in that means that 4 teams would have to give up their positions in the league. can you really see teams doing this?

4) also, rangers and celtic would still have to be eligable between themselves to qualify for a champions league spot.

i don't really see any problem with it to be honest. what do you reckon because it's gonna happen one day?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Premiership - General Discussion