Former red joins villa

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed May 18, 2005 1:22 am

BERGER AGREES VILLA MOVE
Portsmouth midfielder Patrik Berger is poised to join Aston Villa after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms with the midlands club.

Berger, who is out of contract at Fratton Park this summer, has agreed to sign a two-year deal from July 1 when his current contract expires.

Berger is returning to his native country for the summer but is already relishing the chance to make his mark as Villa manager David O’Leary’s first close season signing.

The Czech international told Villa's official website, www.avfc.co.uk: “It is an exciting move for me and I am already looking forward to my first season at Villa Park.

“As soon as I knew of the interest from Villa, I wanted to come here. This is a big club with a great history.

The 31-year-old admitted O'Leary's brand of football was a major factor in his decision to join.

“David O’Leary was the main factor in my coming to Villa. He said he would like to have me here - and that was enough for me.

“I like the style of football that he plays here at Villa. He likes to play attractive football and so do I.

“I have played at Villa Park quite a few times and it is a ground that has great memories for me.

“My first game on the ground was with the Czech Republic when we beat Portugal in the semi-finals of Euro '96.”

Berger moved to Portsmouth two years ago after spending seven seasons with Liverpool.

Berger scored 35 goals in 196 games for the Reds, whom he joined from Borussia Dortmund shortly after his exploits in Euro ’96 in helping the Czechs to reach the final, where they were beaten by Germany.

Berger made 30 Barclays Premiership starts for Portsmouth last season, scoring three goals, and has won 40 caps for his country.

Hopefully Berger won't score goals for Villa when they play against us, but good luck to him.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Wed May 18, 2005 2:07 am

Done well at Pomoey has Paddy. Still a very good player, with a rifle left boot. Good on him, should do well at Villa.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:26 am

Good luck to u paddy, hope he does well for them... when they arnt playing us
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Paul C » Wed May 18, 2005 9:40 am

Hope the lad does well, he was always my fav player at Anfield cos I'm left footie and like players with a good long distance shot.

Good luck Paddy :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed May 18, 2005 9:54 am

Yeah hope he does well there. He was a good servant to this club.

Don't understand really why he left us when you look at some of the players we have in the squad.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Sean » Wed May 18, 2005 10:01 am

Joined us on the back of euro 96 displays.  Started brilliantly on his debut against Chelsea.  Berger, Fowler, Collymore, Barnes, Redknapp, McManaman......pity about the defence in that era.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed May 18, 2005 10:05 am

Houllier just didn't fancy him towards the end, even though with the right attitude, he was a great player for us.  Maybe he was sold too early, but good luck to him.  A good servant to the club when he was here.

Couldn't half strike a ball from outside the box couldn't he? :cool:
jonnymac1979

Postby Paul C » Wed May 18, 2005 10:54 am

Sean wrote:Joined us on the back of euro 96 displays.  Started brilliantly on his debut against Chelsea.  Berger, Fowler, Collymore, Barnes, Redknapp, McManaman......pity about the defence in that era.

Wasn't Berger's debut against Leicester where he scored 2 goals coming on as a Sub with Redknapp  :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 18, 2005 11:07 am

pompey will get relegated next season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Wed May 18, 2005 12:25 pm

Perhaps it was Leicester....but your right he definitely struck twice on his debut.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby MilitiaRusher » Wed May 18, 2005 12:51 pm

Houllier shipped him off instead of Vladi? How is that possible?!?!
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 18, 2005 1:28 pm

At least GH was consistent in his "judgements" maybe he thought there yet another talent in Senegal for us.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed May 18, 2005 5:14 pm

Berger was awful for us, the goal he scored every sixth game kept in the team for the five games he was awful.

Also, is this really Liverpool General Discussion material or is it more like Premiership - General Discussion ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed May 18, 2005 5:15 pm

Thats for the mods to decide  :rasp
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion