Moore's club - A word on our chairman.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mynameisred » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:16 pm

Again today the talk of takeovers and investment are causing all types of responces from our members as it has done since Morgan's initial bid, but what about our current Chairman?
His love and dedication to our club has never been in question yet all we seem to value is his bank balance. He has consistantly made funds avaialable to the managers, has never made knee-jerk decisions and has always given the manager time and confidence ( Have you ever heard a chairman back a manager in the way he backed GH).
Also he has acted as a fan in his decision making over the years. He continued the boot room legacy in his early years in office thus keeping with our fantastic tradition, then he tried to freshen things up with Souness who at the time was the obviuos chice due to his history with us and he sucess at Rangers. Again he allowed Souness to do it his way and unfortunatly his methods didnt work but again turned to the boot room philosphy for his next appointmnet that of Evans. We may have been surprised but at the time we as Liverpool fans knew no better our History dictated our staff but in the rise of the premiership our past was no longer enough. Ok now we can look back we can see that Evans brought us good football and saw the emergence of a succesion of home grown players many of whom went on to consistant England careers. Again looking back we would have had more champs leagues games with Evans than GH if the rules for qualification was the same then, however we never looked like title contenders.Then when it became clear that we were continuing to fall behind and with the influx of Foriegn players and influence Moores had the nuts to change things forever. To take that responsibility on with all the talk our our past was an immense decision and whilst GH never landed us the title he did make us possible candidates and got us back winning trophies at home and in Europe. We got our respect back and have strong enough creditionals to bring in a manager of the standing of Rafa. Moores imo makes our managers job one of the best around for all the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Do our fans really want our club to be another Chelsea? I love football as a sport not because we have a chairman who can buy anyone. And I love Livepool because at a time when money talks we still have many a link with the beautiful game.
We have plans for a new stadium which will propel us into a new financial zone and we look to have a manager who can spend his money wisely if given time.
I know mistakes have been made and he should have got rid of Gh earlier ut who didnt believe that Gh could bring us the title? Up until his last season I did for one and if your honest with yourself how long has it been since you truely believed that. Yes our club may have struggled with the change in football but we will get there and we will do it the Liverool way. So when your next talking about who should invest this or that into our club remember the guy we have alraedy and what he has done for the club. Unless the new people can prove they care for the club in the same way and can demonstrate they have us as fans, the players and success on the pitch as their top priorities then I would rather stick with what we have got. I dont want us too become a manager changing club every 12 months or a team full of mercenairies. Remember we have a very special club known around the world for its legends and myth. Sometimes the need to maintain your heart and soul is more important than money.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Storm » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:27 pm

Mynameisred

Good posting and you raise some important issues but not sure I would be happy to see the club have no money and trade on its past. Not suggesting you are advocating this but we need money to stand any chance of wining anything.

I think we need to get the balance right and the hardest decision of all is to know at what time to allow change to take place.
Storm

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:27 pm

A very well written and well thought out, moving post.

I'm inclined to agree, although admitadly with some thought and careful reasoning you can make me believe anything  :D
Last edited by Starbridge42 on Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby mynameisred » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:30 pm

Im not advocating either argument really but the key word is balance.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:00 pm

mynameisred wrote:Again today the talk of takeovers and investment are causing all types of responces from our members as it has done since Morgan's initial bid, but what about our current Chairman?
His love and dedication to our club has never been in question yet all we seem to value is his bank balance. He has consistantly made funds avaialable to the managers, has never made knee-jerk decisions and has always given the manager time and confidence ( Have you ever heard a chairman back a manager in the way he backed GH).
Also he has acted as a fan in his decision making over the years. He continued the boot room legacy in his early years in office thus keeping with our fantastic tradition, then he tried to freshen things up with Souness who at the time was the obviuos chice due to his history with us and he sucess at Rangers. Again he allowed Souness to do it his way and unfortunatly his methods didnt work but again turned to the boot room philosphy for his next appointmnet that of Evans. We may have been surprised but at the time we as Liverpool fans knew no better our History dictated our staff but in the rise of the premiership our past was no longer enough. Ok now we can look back we can see that Evans brought us good football and saw the emergence of a succesion of home grown players many of whom went on to consistant England careers. Again looking back we would have had more champs leagues games with Evans than GH if the rules for qualification was the same then, however we never looked like title contenders.Then when it became clear that we were continuing to fall behind and with the influx of Foriegn players and influence Moores had the nuts to change things forever. To take that responsibility on with all the talk our our past was an immense decision and whilst GH never landed us the title he did make us possible candidates and got us back winning trophies at home and in Europe. We got our respect back and have strong enough creditionals to bring in a manager of the standing of Rafa. Moores imo makes our managers job one of the best around for all the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Do our fans really want our club to be another Chelsea? I love football as a sport not because we have a chairman who can buy anyone. And I love Livepool because at a time when money talks we still have many a link with the beautiful game.
We have plans for a new stadium which will propel us into a new financial zone and we look to have a manager who can spend his money wisely if given time.
I know mistakes have been made and he should have got rid of Gh earlier ut who didnt believe that Gh could bring us the title? Up until his last season I did for one and if your honest with yourself how long has it been since you truely believed that. Yes our club may have struggled with the change in football but we will get there and we will do it the Liverool way. So when your next talking about who should invest this or that into our club remember the guy we have alraedy and what he has done for the club. Unless the new people can prove they care for the club in the same way and can demonstrate they have us as fans, the players and success on the pitch as their top priorities then I would rather stick with what we have got. I dont want us too become a manager changing club every 12 months or a team full of mercenairies. Remember we have a very special club known around the world for its legends and myth. Sometimes the need to maintain your heart and soul is more important than money.

:angry:

You said "One word"!

:D  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby mynameisred » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:48 pm

Ah yes. Good Point, I do go on sometimes.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:40 pm

Fantastic post and 100% agree.

I was saying this last season when "fans and supporters" were calling for his and GH's head. Moores is imo the perfect chairman. Not everyone knows who he is or what he looks like, doesn't make rash decisions, makes the right decisions at the right time and stumps up rediculous amounts of money.

Wouldn't change him for anyone!!!
115-1073096938

Postby Redrider » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:10 pm

Moores management style is too benign. Better suited to the role of a non-executive board member.
In the fast moving world of high finance associated with today's Football, Moores is a bit of a dinosaur I am afraid. Probably best described as 'Cuddly wealthy Uncle. ???
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:14 pm

Wealthy uncle but not wealthy enough in these days of high transfer fees, even though the market has soften somewhat since 2-3 years ago.

Moores has been estimated to be worth some 50 million pounds, mind you not all of this value is cash or liquid assets - so he must be at the end of being just generous because of his love for the club and that is why the club will entertain serious new partners to inject funds as long as some criteria are met.

He is a good chairman to his managers - never putting them under undue pressure and always giving them the time to give it a real go at doing the job. Believe me, as much as he loves the club, he needs to recover the money he has advanced to the club while diluting his shareholding and the Morgan bid did not address that aspect.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion