Craig moore - The defensive stalwart

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:47 am

With Rangers and Australia captain Craig Moore being placed on the transfer list by his club for accepting the offer to captain Australia at the Olympics and thus miss the start of the SPL it would be pretty easy to pry him from Ibrox.  He was voted in the Scottish Premiere League Team of the year and has been one of Rangers, and Australias best and most consistant performers for the past decade.  He is at the peak of his powers now and is arguably one of the top 10 central defenders in the world.  He is strong in the air and on the deck, is a fierce tackler but rarely gives away free kicks.  He is quick on and off the ball, he is a fighter who will never shirk from a challenge and he would be available for only a few million pounds.

Personally I feel he is a far superior player to henchoz and would be a more than suitable replacement as the defensive lynchpin once Hyppia (sp?) retires and would be an excellent partner for Hyppia at the present time.

What do you think?  Of course being Australian I'm more than a little interested in bringing more Aussie players to LFC to play alongside Kewell and so help the Oz national team... but he's still a top defender.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:30 pm

You've got to be joking?

I've always liked him since i saw him at Rangers and i agree he stands out for them. But if you put Henchoz in that league he'd do EXACTLY the same. Moore is a very good player, but he's not one of the worlds top 10 by a long shot. Theres probably 10-15 centre halfs in England alone who are a class above him.

The only other aussie i'd want to play for us is Brett Emmerton. He's a player i think we BADLY missed out on.
115-1073096938

Postby Paul C » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:32 pm

Brett Emerton hasn't really done much at Blackburn though ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:36 pm

Apart from being their player of the season untill his injury, scoring a few goals (one at old trafford), being played out of position in games and still perrforming and covering loads of ground and generally showing class every time he's played....

I agree... not done much ???

Get real, what player has done anything at Blackburn. He's a class player in a bad side.
115-1073096938

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:49 pm

stu_the_red wrote:You've got to be joking?

I've always liked him since i saw him at Rangers and i agree he stands out for them. But if you put Henchoz in that league he'd do EXACTLY the same. Moore is a very good player, but he's not one of the worlds top 10 by a long shot. Theres probably 10-15 centre halfs in England alone who are a class above him.

The only other aussie i'd want to play for us is Brett Emmerton. He's a player i think we BADLY missed out on.

Give me Moore of henchoz any day of the week and thats not oz bias thats just a neutral observation.  On the FIFA website prior to his knee injury last season he was 9th highest out of defenders in FIFA's top 50 players of the year.  And I agree with you about Emerton (with one m).
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby kenco » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:09 pm

If my missus played for a team in Scotland she'd stand a chance of winning footballer of the year. [ For christ sake lets get real].:p :p
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:59 am

Moore is a no nonsense defender, would not fold under pressure or make silly mistakes. Alot of good players use SPL as a stepping stone into EPL, so whats the gripe about it being easy? I'm sure if your wife could play in it she would like 10 thousand pounds a week. Get real.

However I do not think Moore is flashy enough for LFC to take a look at, maybe if he played in Spain he would have a chance.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby Red » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:01 am

Also there is another standout aussie or two in the national team, Bresciano comes to mind.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:32 am

Bresciano has said he won't leave Italy until he's around 32-33 when he plans to move home to play in Australia.  He said in tv interviews in Italy and australia that even if Real Madrid want him he still wouldn't leave the Serie A because he loves the competition and rates it as the best in the world.  But he is class, he was the highest scoring midfielder in Italy last season with 10 league goals and half a dozen in other competitions.
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:12 pm

Stu, you always have to get sh1tty when people disagree with you :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:13 pm

:p

Because i'm a good judge of player.

I don't sit here suggesting we buy players to play out of position either and i also don't stupidly rate players that aren't that good. I tend to agree with most of what the likes of Ferguson, Houllier, Wenger all say and do in there team selections etc and signings and philosophies... Obviously there are bits i don't agree with but not large amounts. :)
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:08 pm

stu_the_red wrote: :p

Because i'm a good judge of player.

You don't half like blowing your own trumpet!!

Moore is a reasonable player, but to be honest he has only been tested playing Oceanic football for Australia (you can't really count Australia's friendlies against European nations) and Scottish League football. Rangers have played in the Champions League but haven't been competitive in that competition for many years now.

He's not bad and would probably do a great job for Birmingham or Blackburn, but he wouldn't help turn Liverpool into Championship winning material. :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:12 pm

we really missed the boat with boumsong imo. he could have been the centre half we were looking for. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion