A word of thanks to our chairman - Daid moores appreciation society

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:00 pm

When I look back at the glorious celebrations of last week it appears to me that one seemingly unsung hero is our Chairman. Infact David Moores has pretty much lurked in the background in recent weeks, preferring to let the players and the manager take the plaudits. However, the Chairman's role in this triumph cannot be underestimated. Certain members of this forum (myself included) criticised him in the past for what seemed like blind loyalty to Houllier towards the end of his tenure but I have to say that I now take everything back. To me, he has rectified all his previous mistakes by making an absolutely inspirational managerial appointment which is already showing signs of taking this club places again. It seems ludicrous looking back now that people were suggesting the likes of Martin O Neill and Alan Curbishley to take over the reigns at Anfield. Rafa is here and he's here to stay. Forget football's equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters over in Madrid. Our manager is here for the long haul.

Looking back, almost exactly a year ago, David Moores had just made one of the toughest decisions of his life. Liverpool Football Club had a reputation of not sacking its managers, but the board had to face up to a total breakdown in confidence of its manager, Gerard Houllier, by the players and most importantly, the fans – who were starting to vote with their feet by staying away from Anfield. I remember the home game against Charlton last April, when tickets were available to purchase on the day of the game for the first time in living memory. Quite simply, the football was dull and uninspiring. Some fans even threatened not to return until Houllier had gone.

So, Gerard Houllier was relieved of his duties … and over the next few months, the ‘Summer of Discontent’ really kicked off when our only "proven goalscorer" left for what can only be described as "peanuts" and then the prospect of losing our star player, Steven Gerrard, to Chelsea, became more and more likely as the summer wore on. Infact the speculation had such a detrimental effect on Gerrard that he had a particularly poor Euro 2004 by his own standards.

Generally speaking though, life had been very difficult for David Moores for some time. There was a stormy AGM where our Chairman came perilously close to standing down. There were constant takeover battles with Steve Morgan, and there was public outcry at the proposed Thai investment plans.

In fact, many chairmen would have stood down … but not David Moores. LFC’s biggest fan stuck it out. He’s pumped many millions of his own fortune into the club and had to put up with criticisms that the club has never managed to recapture old glories under his tenure. Well that criticism can now well and truly be put to bed.

Liverpool are European Champions. Now I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be saying that at the start of last season. For me, no one deserves the glory more than David Moores. Not only this, but he deserves the thanks and congratulations of all the fans. There is no better Chairman in the Premiership. Infact, when you think about it, things could have been much much worse … we could have had a chairman like Peter Ridsdale or Rupert Lowe!!! We could have gone down the road of manure and have been facing calls of 'You've Been Glazered’.

One of the reasons we are such a close-knit club is that we’ve got values as our foundations and we haven’t sold ourselves out for short term success like the mancs. Don’t get me wrong, things need to change at our club to allow Rafa the finances to make us a ‘Bastion of Invincibility’ once again –but hopefully these changes can come with David Moores still at the helm. Our performances in the League were nothing short of shambolic last season, and this is something which needs to be seriously addressed in the next campaign. As fantastic as the Champions League win was, don't let this fool you in to thinking that we are all of a sudden a fantastic team. We are far from it but the foundations are there. We have a great spine in Reina (who will sign), Carra, Gerrard, Alonso and Morientes. With the right additions I seriously think we can break into the top 3 next season.

I’m sorry, but I have to make a few more comments about our rival fans and their bitterness towards us. Thanks, by the way, to all those who posted comments about their own experiences of Istanbul. They were truly memorable. I would also like to thank all the supporters of other clubs worldwide, from Fenerbache to Inter to West Brom who offered their congratulations on our success. It means a lot and proves without any doubt that LFC is still a footballing giant worldwide.

Just a shame all the bitter people associated with Manure, the ar$e and Chelsea can't give us the credit we deserve. It's nothing less than sour grapes on their part. Hell I read one Chelsea forum last week and the majority of their fans went from arrogant and insulting to broken and dejected by the end of the game. Approximately £250m spent in 18 months and they all of a sudden think that they're the best club in the world. Wenger is blatantly jealous by claiming we were "lucky", blatantly avoiding the fact that Rafa has achieved in one season what he has failed to do in nine. Ashley Cole last week said he found it "depressing" to watch Liverpool lift the trophy because he felt "Arsenal should be there". Well Ashley, I've got news for you. YOU ARE SH#TE IN EUROPE AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. :D And as for that lot along the M6, you've got bigger problems to worry about than feeling jealous about our success.

So my fellow reds, sit back, crack open a can and watch as the civil war begins…  :buttrock
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:14 pm

I told you at the time you were stupid to slate the man and i stand by that. He has ALWAYS from day one had this club in his best interests and has NEVER made and rash or stupid decisions spur of the moment and has ALWAYS backed his managers as much as possible.

I couldn't believe the critisism this man recieved towards the end of Houllier's reign and i'm glad the people who slated him have had there words rammed down there throat 10 times over. I just hope ALL of you show as much vision as he did next time this club is in a similar position.

At the time the people who slated him really annoyed me. The fact he can now stick his fingers up at the lot of you (which he won't because he's bigger and better than that) makes me a happy fella. :)
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby Red Macgregor » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:53 pm

No offence to David Moores, who as Chairman and effective owner, leads the club with style. But, we still need a strong finance man as Chief Executive, Parry still needs to stand aside, he may be a good administrator and voice of reason etc. I am sure there is a place for him at the club, but he is not Chief Exec' material, we need to drive harder bargains out there. The sale of MO for £8m still leaves me cold, with every goal he nails for RM and England. That was a prime Parry :censored:-up.
Red Macgregor

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:04 pm

Thats where the manager should step in. Parry and Moores are superb. I wouldn't swap either of them for anyone.
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:05 pm

ive never been one for the finances of clubs, people like dein, kenyon, abramovich, that yank..all leave a sour taste in my mouth.
With liverpool its different ho, deals come from the heart, it might have hurt the old purse strings in the past but its always seemed more honourable and parry and moores have always been class acts in my book.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:09 pm

well said.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:15 pm

dawson99 wrote:ive never been one for the finances of clubs, people like dein, kenyon, abramovich, that yank..all leave a sour taste in my mouth.

that yank :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:30 pm

Red Macgregor wrote:No offence to David Moores, who as Chairman and effective owner, leads the club with style. But, we still need a strong finance man as Chief Executive, Parry still needs to stand aside, he may be a good administrator and voice of reason etc. I am sure there is a place for him at the club, but he is not Chief Exec' material, we need to drive harder bargains out there. The sale of MO for £8m still leaves me cold, with every goal he nails for RM and England. That was a prime Parry :censored:-up.

come off it, there would have been uproar from the fans if parry said that he`s selling owen with three years left on his contract to get the best price. the club were dragged along by owen and his agent who `went on holiday` for about 12 months, that just happens these days with big star names who have clubs over a barrel if they choose to play that game.
moores has been an excellent chairman, and i remember saying that no other club has spent the money we have for so long without success. where other clubs like leeds, newcastle and blackburn have all spent a few bob in an effort to catch united and arsenals dominance of the prem title they havent done it over a long period like us. other clubs would have lowered their sights long ago but thanks to moores we havent.
we last won the title in 1990 but moores has backed souness, evans, houllier and now rafa with big money.
from dean saunders and mark wright to nigel clough and emile heskey transfer records have been broken by mr moores in an effort to get us back to the top. plus he was in football before all these fair weather chairmen as a fan (one with connections admittedly) and was present at all our major nights from the mid 70`s onwards, another thing is he doesnt take a penny out of the club. we are very lucky to have him but to be fair a great club like liverpool deserves a man like moores as its chairman.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:20 pm

Whichever way you look at it and whichever side you're on £8 million for Michael Owen was a Fu*king DISGRACE  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  Probably the worst piece of business since the american indians sold Manhattan island for a couple of beads and a Tesco gift voucher.  :angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:33 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Whichever way you look at it and whichever side you're on £8 million for Michael Owen was a Fu*king DISGRACE  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

completely down to the player refusing to sign a contract which was dangled infront of his face for the best part of a year. looking back, to get £8m for a guy who had less than a year left on his contract was remarkable business.

anyway, he left to win the champions league. oh well. :rasp
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 84-1106852058 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:36 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
Red Macgregor wrote:No offence to David Moores, who as Chairman and effective owner, leads the club with style. But, we still need a strong finance man as Chief Executive, Parry still needs to stand aside, he may be a good administrator and voice of reason etc. I am sure there is a place for him at the club, but he is not Chief Exec' material, we need to drive harder bargains out there. The sale of MO for £8m still leaves me cold, with every goal he nails for RM and England. That was a prime Parry :censored:-up.

come off it, there would have been uproar from the fans if parry said that he`s selling owen with three years left on his contract to get the best price. the club were dragged along by owen and his agent who `went on holiday` for about 12 months, that just happens these days with big star names who have clubs over a barrel if they choose to play that game.
moores has been an excellent chairman, and i remember saying that no other club has spent the money we have for so long without success. where other clubs like leeds, newcastle and blackburn have all spent a few bob in an effort to catch united and arsenals dominance of the prem title they havent done it over a long period like us. other clubs would have lowered their sights long ago but thanks to moores we havent.
we last won the title in 1990 but moores has backed souness, evans, houllier and now rafa with big money.
from dean saunders and mark wright to nigel clough and emile heskey transfer records have been broken by mr moores in an effort to get us back to the top. plus he was in football before all these fair weather chairmen as a fan (one with connections admittedly) and was present at all our major nights from the mid 70`s onwards, another thing is he doesnt take a penny out of the club. we are very lucky to have him but to be fair a great club like liverpool deserves a man like moores as its chairman.

Spot on.It was nice to see Moores at the team hotel in Istanbul,jeans and a t shirt,just like the rest of the fans over there.
84-1106852058

Postby Paul C » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:37 pm

I was one of the fans who slated the board over the Owen deal and I still stand by that, but I like Moores, like what most people have said I agree that the guy always puts the club first and hasn't had an easy ride over the past 12 months, I still feel that Parry isn't up to the job, he is too 'nice', I don't think that Parry needs to be a hard business man all the time as that isn't the LFC way but I don't think he's cut throat when he needs to be which lets him down :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:43 pm

stmichael wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Whichever way you look at it and whichever side you're on £8 million for Michael Owen was a Fu*king DISGRACE  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

completely down to the player refusing to sign a contract which was dangled infront of his face for the best part of a year. looking back, to get £8m for a guy who had less than a year left on his contract was remarkable business.

Oh really ? And who was responsible for allowing this "remarkable piece of business" to get to the point where we no longer had any control ? .

Getting to the point where Owen was sold for Eight Million was a Fu*king DISGRACE  :angry: . Look at the transfer market and tell me that allowing us to be in a position where we have to sell Owen for eight million is not a Fu*king DISGRACE   :angry:  .

No Fu*king excuses , Lfc were mugged .

:veryangry

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:46 pm

i think they were just scared f another macca situation. for all we know owen woulda walked after the year was up. he coulda signed a contract with anyone else in january. 8 mill was a joke,but the disgrace woulda been another bosman
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:47 pm

i agree woof that £8m for a player of owen's ability was sacrilige. however if he wanted, he could have just done a mcmanaman and left for nothing.

unfortunately the bosman ruling effectively destroyed football. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion