Chelsea, man utd, liverpool comparrison. - A constructive view of the squads

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:24 pm

crazyhorse wrote:The purpose of this thread is to prevoke a little thought. We have on paper a team that should be capable of challenging for the title. The ratings were a little tongue in cheek but i think the point is proved that on a best available players scenario we are again on paper good enough. Why is it therefore that we fall behind when it comes to cohesion and tactical nouse when compared to the other two. And yes the "squads" differ in size and talent available ect ect ect... this is just meant to begin a debate. Look at the number of youth players again showing for Manure, Fergie makes a ponit of surrounding his youth with the first team as early as possible. Rafa either refuses, or does not have the confidence to do this.

To simply reject a members idea out of hand or just call something someone has written nonsense or pointless is a bit nonsensical when you offer no reason as to why, and show no evidence at all that you have even read it properly or even got the point.

Its just that theres no point in comparing players from different teams. A player can be viewed as good against a lesser player on paper but the team he is in plays in is sh'ite
Therefore he is not playing to his potential and therefore cant be classed as good

This "man for man" idea will never catch on
I think someone tried it before and it didnt work then
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Yes, it's all about the team. Scoring a team in this way and using it as justification for the team's title-challenging credentials doesn't work very well because it doesn't take account of how the team is composed and the importance of each role in the team. Thus between them Lucas and Masch may accrue a decent score relative to other sides but as a combination in our team, they are far less effective than that score might suggest.
LFC2007

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:57 am

I actually think that this is a good thread. We've had multiple discussions and pronouncements that we're not good enough and I for one always found that arguement a little thin..... even with the lost of Alonso and to a lesser degree, Arbeloa.

This squad came close to winning it last year. With Alonso's loss, we were always going to struggle a little if his replacement didn't come good..... but if you had asked me at the start of the season, I would never have guessed that we'd struggle as much as we have.

Putting all else aside, and just looking at the ability, heart and experiece of the INDIVIDUAL players based on their past track records and taking into account year-on-year decline due to aging, our squad is not too far behind Chelsea and Man Utd.

The trick here is melding the individual pieces into a cohesive, focused, inspired and determined unit...... not sacrifice individual styles to fit into a system which does not play to the strengths of the players we have...... and that is the manager's job.

We know that we don't have the funds to buy specific players that can suit into the system the manager wants. However, if plan A fails theres always plan B...... failure to adapt can be disasterous.

So, I do agree with crazyhorse..... Our players are good enough to compete and make a fist of it. My glasess may not be as rose-tinted as his and I would say that we're probably 5-7% behind Chelsea and no more than 3-5% behind Man Utd. Almost exclusively, I would say the deficiency is in midfield.

I stand by what I had suggested at the start of the season.

We should have pulled Stevie back into midfield with Masch and gotten Benny to play upfront with Torres. Either that or we should have switched the system to a 5-3-2 with Aurelio and Johnson in the wingbacks, and given Nemeth/Ngog a chance to forge a partnership with Torres. To this day, I still could not believe that Nemeth was not given at least an opportunity.

But once again..... yes..... our players are close enough to the those of Chelsea and Man Utd and we SHOULD have been able to make the race much, MUCH closer. Dissapointed that we have not and the root cause is the manager IMO.
ConnO'var

Postby Penguins » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:16 am

shawnk wrote:Sorry mate, this thread is really pointless.
Man to man, we are better than Portsmouth and yet we lost to them.
Even our owners are better than them.

This reasoning is wrong in my opinion. It is never about 1 game but 38 games overall.

Didn't Manure loose vs Burnley this season.
What does that tell me about their team?

Nothing, cause it is what you do over a season and the better squad you have the fewer of those blips you will have.

Even the greatest teams loose games vs inferior opposition, it's just that what shows their strenght is how rarely they do it.

I think Ace's ranking is pretty much spot on.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:24 am

ConnO'var wrote:I actually think that this is a good thread. We've had multiple discussions and pronouncements that we're not good enough and I for one always found that arguement a little thin..... even with the lost of Alonso and to a lesser degree, Arbeloa.

This squad came close to winning it last year. With Alonso's loss, we were always going to struggle a little if his replacement didn't come good..... but if you had asked me at the start of the season, I would never have guessed that we'd struggle as much as we have.

Putting all else aside, and just looking at the ability, heart and experiece of the INDIVIDUAL players based on their past track records and taking into account year-on-year decline due to aging, our squad is not too far behind Chelsea and Man Utd.

The trick here is melding the individual pieces into a cohesive, focused, inspired and determined unit...... not sacrifice individual styles to fit into a system which does not play to the strengths of the players we have...... and that is the manager's job.

We know that we don't have the funds to buy specific players that can suit into the system the manager wants. However, if plan A fails theres always plan B...... failure to adapt can be disasterous.

So, I do agree with crazyhorse..... Our players are good enough to compete and make a fist of it. My glasess may not be as rose-tinted as his and I would say that we're probably 5-7% behind Chelsea and no more than 3-5% behind Man Utd. Almost exclusively, I would say the deficiency is in midfield.

We should have pulled Stevie back into midfield with Masch and gotten Benny to play upfront with Torres. Either that or we should have switched the system to a 5-3-2 with Aurelio and Johnson in the wingbacks, and given Nemeth/Ngog a chance to forge a partnership with Torres. To this day, I still could not believe that Nemeth was not given at least an opportunity.

But once again..... yes..... our players are close enough to the those of Chelsea and Man Utd and we SHOULD have been able to make the race much, MUCH closer. Dissapointed that we have not and the root cause is the manager IMO.

Well, it was also imo the last push of Carra, Kuyt and Gerrard.

They had all a very good season 08/09 but they will never have that again. They are all around 30 and especially Carra and Kuyt are showing signs of decline and instead of being the strenght of the team like last season they are becoming liabilities. I do not think those 3 will ever get back to that form.

Combing that with the loss of Alonso, Masch having his head turned and playing poorly the 1st half of the season and the awful treatment of offensivly gifted players like Reira, Aquilani and Babel has all contributed.
Sure, Rafa's negativity and doctrine of hard work is not helping but I don't think this squad can push Chelski and Manure close anymore.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:30 am

Penguins wrote:Well, it was also imo the last push of Carra, Kuyt and Gerrard.

They had all a very good season 08/09 but they will never have that again. They are all around 30 and especially Carra and Kuyt are showing signs of decline and instead of being the strenght of the team like last season they are becoming liabilities. I do not think those 3 will ever get back to that form.

Combing that with the loss of Alonso, Masch having his head turned and playing poorly the 1st half of the season and the awful treatment of offensivly gifted players like Reira, Aquilani and Babel has all contributed.
Sure, Rafa's negativity and doctrine of hard work is not helping but I don't think this squad can push Chelski and Manure close anymore.

In that, I don't quite agree mate.

It's true that all 3 mentioned players are pushing 30 and may have lost a step or 2 but they are all still very close to their prime. A good example is Chelsea, whose stalwarts are all in the same age bracket.

I think that the other issue here is disillusionment..... they'll still give their best and play to the instructions handed to them but even the most stubborn of bulls will only butt his head against a barn door for so long before he finally realizes that, in this case, the door is made of steel and won't give..... any bull will eventually give up.
ConnO'var

Postby Penguins » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:40 am

Well, Rafa's criteria for a player goes like this:

- Hmm, hard work or good technical skills ?
- Hard work of course.

-Hmm, controlling the game or actually being dangerous in the final 3rd..?
- Controlling the game of course.

- Hmm, run around and chase the ball or being creative and not loose it in the 1st place?
- Run around and chase the ball...

Ok, when I think about it why can't I just make 10 clones of Kuyt...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Kerry07 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:29 am

Over 240 million pound later... we have a vastly inferior collection of players now, than when we won the treble of cups in 2001.

A damning indictment on Rafa.

Babel 11m
Aquilani 17m
lucas 6m
kuyt 10m

Thats a 44 million pound midfield. Wenger's first XI cost less.

The defensive midfielder Masch is a top destroyer ala Hamann, but as we have no passer to compliment that, we now have the worst central midfield since Souness was in charge... toothless, awful in possession, no control, and we are ugly as hell to watch.

In 2001, Danny Murphy was our 4th choice central midfielder.. who scored 10 goals, 8 assists... and contributed hugely.

In 2010, lucas, a poor mans Murphy, incredibly, is our 1st choice central midfielder.. who has made 1 assist and scored an OG in 40 games.

Theres your nosedive right there
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:41 pm

ConnO'var wrote:I actually think that this is a good thread. We've had multiple discussions and pronouncements that we're not good enough and I for one always found that arguement a little thin..... even with the lost of Alonso and to a lesser degree, Arbeloa.

Thank you, you have actually grasped the point of the discussion rather than dismiss it out of hand.

I am in agreement with you, and your comments. Also I would like to see an experiment where Gerrard is put back into midfield and Benny given a go behind Torres.

However the sad indictment of the manager is that he does not change, and is headstrong to say the least. His recent comments to the media show an arrogance i do not like.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:14 pm

this is all assuming that they can actually be ar$ed. to be honest based over THIS  season I'd be generous giving Gerrard a 7.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm

alot of pretty generous ratings for liverpool players in that, noway has torres been as good as rooney this season, carragher hasnt deserved half the ratings that hes got, and why has no1 given rooney a 10, what more does he need to do. hes been best striker in the league, if not europe by far this season.
dont get me wrong i love liverpool but ppl need to open ther eyes and c the real world. liverpool hav been pathectic this season.

highest rating from the whole team is ( reina  8 )
brentd4

Postby Owzat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Sir Roger wrote:Bit of a nonsense thread this

Perhaps not in the concept, but the application could be. Rating your own players is never likely to be possible to do objectively, and doesn't prove much anyway. We spend all the time saying we've not played well then give the said same players 7, 8 and 9 out of 10 ! :Oo:

I think Chelsea and the mancs have much more depth, their players often perform to somewhere near their best and they have a lot more creative players than we do - they also don't play two DMs and awful football. Without Rooney the mancs do struggle, like we do without Torres. But then they still get results, and the other players don't just leave it to their star players to win games for them. They can get goals from all over the field, so too can Chelsea. We struggle beyond Benayoun, Torres, Gerrard and Kuyt so when one or more are missing we've little in the way of goalscoring options - not helped by Mascherano and Lucas playing so much (together)

And maybe their managers have a bit of a clue and know how to turn things around. I think there is something of an over-reaction to last night's result, more a cumulative effect of the season than a worse than usual performance in a result which is "acceptable" if not ideal.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion