2010 v 1989 - Team comparrison

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:03 am

What I would give for players in the mould of Steve McMahon and Ronnie Whelan plying their trade in our Midfield ...or Stevie Nicol and Alan Hansen in our defence ...let alone a player the calibre of Rush upfront .....
no there is no comparison the team of 89 played total football ...the best I have been priveleged to have  witnessed and between them they contributed to providing  me with the most precious football memories  in my life .....and I havent even mentioned Aldridge ,Beardsley coupled with  the brilliance of Barnes :D  I'm all teary eyed now :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:45 am

So jealous of all you old geezers!  :(
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:00 pm

jacdaniel wrote:So jealous of all you old geezers!  :(

:laugh: oh you should of seen Yeats , Hunt and Callaghan,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:26 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Hysen the old silver fox.

I distinctly remember him giving away a penalty for handball one game. He pretty much jumped and caught the ball with one hand.

it was a good catch though
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:33 pm

the one two passing amongst the team was second to none. the oppo would be just admiring. most teams were beaten before they got out of the tunnel. the Barnes and Beardsley show was something to watch.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Steve Crooks » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Can't believe you have given Carra and Agger a better score than Hansen and Hysen. Hansen even in his twilight years has to be a 9 and Hysen a good 7.
Steve Crooks

Postby addy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:39 pm

I'd give Barnes a 10 as well as Stevie G.

Barnes was just a joy to watch. I remember watching him at home against QPR (I think) and he scored a goal that day that was just awesome, tackling and winning the ball on the half way line, accelerating away, beating the defence and burying it. Pure class.

Also, Stevie has to be a 10. Seriously just look at the performances he has put in over the last 7 or 8 seasons. He is pure Liverpool class.

EDIT: Here's the goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gQuqkuhG5s
Last edited by addy on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
addy

Postby boodiddy1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Barnes and Beardsley? They were better than gullit and van basten. Pure immense. Aldo was great, McMahon? Unreal. :censored: it I can't tell you how good the whole team was. Only Stevie, nando and reina would get n squad. Carra a few years ago also. Barnes was the best player in the world for acre years. A pity we were all banned from Europe. I still watch the mighty reds video and drool at barnes bs qpr and Beardsley against arsenal. Nicol at Newcastle , then the second greatest game of football the 5-0 vs Forest. ( only 2nd cos of barcas masterclass against real a month ago)
Pure class that era! Kenny will bring it back again.
boodiddy1

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:10 pm

boodiddy1 wrote:Barnes and Beardsley? They were better than gullit and van basten. Pure immense. Aldo was great, McMahon? Unreal. :censored: it I can't tell you how good the whole team was. Only Stevie, nando and reina would get n squad. Carra a few years ago also. Barnes was the best player in the world for acre years. A pity we were all banned from Europe. I still watch the mighty reds video and drool at barnes bs qpr and Beardsley against arsenal. Nicol at Newcastle , then the second greatest game of football the 5-0 vs Forest. ( only 2nd cos of barcas masterclass against real a month ago)
Pure class that era! Kenny will bring it back again.

I remember the Forest game like it was yesterday.. one and two touch the whole game. And forest were seen as a football academy under Clough....

Some people say its easy to look back with rose tinted spectacles, but with that team its obvious. They were so good.

Three would get into the squad from todays team,,, but hand on heart I would pick Grob ahead of Reina, Rush ahead of Torres and dare I say it, Whelan ahead of Stevie. There would be space in the 11 for Steven Gerrard somewhere but Ronnie Whelan is my hero.. second only to Crazy Horse himself.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 pm

addy wrote:I'd give Barnes a 10 as well as Stevie G.

Barnes was just a joy to watch. I remember watching him at home against QPR (I think) and he scored a goal that day that was just awesome, tackling and winning the ball on the half way line, accelerating away, beating the defence and burying it. Pure class.

Also, Stevie has to be a 10. Seriously just look at the performances he has put in over the last 7 or 8 seasons. He is pure Liverpool class.

EDIT: Here's the goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gQuqkuhG5s

What would a player who did that on a regular basis be worth today?

Back then Digger used to get booed playing for his country. Scandalous. A talent like that has to be respected and reverred.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion