New hillsborough sculptor

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dazzer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:55 pm

Emerald Red wrote:This reminds me of the sculptures I seen of 9/11, where so called artists used the harrowing images of the jumpers set in the pose in which they were captured falling. For me, personally, and as an artist, I find that anyone who seeks to depict something as sensitive and as close to the bone as Hillsborough and 9/11 from an outsiders perspective in such a manner, is not only selfish but downright arrogant, the latter being if it's intended to be some kind of lasting memorial. Many of the most famous depictions of tragedy formed through some kind of art (like Sabre mentions the Guernica) are usually famous through some kind of accident as the artist was merely seeking some kind of personal understanding, empathy or catharsis. The work was just part of a personal body that became famous through the course of time as the artist became famous. Something like this, however, is just seeking. The artist wants attention for all the wrong reasons by chosing a tragedy like this. That's no accident and it's not art. Of course IMO.

Here's the example of the 9/11 sculpture. If the family of the poor soul made no conscent, then this is just goulish.

Spot on that ER its pretty much how I feel and btw I am no artist.I am sure the familys want to remember the best of thier loved ones not the horror that took them.  :(

Just wondering how everone would have felt if the artist had done a sculptor is a father and son holding a liverpool scarf ? I am sure trying to remember the other side of this it might have gone down better.Seems this artist has focused on the negative side more which is shame.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:15 pm

The peice actually does strike the right cord as to the horror of what went on that day, to a certain degree visually. The most upsetting thing about it is that it's faceless and cold. People have come to me and commissioned me to paint pictures of their dead loved ones. It's not an enjoyable experience painting that sort of thing, but I find the most rewarding thing about it is that when it's done, and you show the finished work to the family, they are usually very pleased, happy and sad at the same time, but joyful. If the memorial had the faces of the people that died that day with a smile on their face, then people could look on it, outsiders, and family repectively, and have some kind of humane connection to the peice. Just what I feel it should have been.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Emerald Red wrote:This reminds me of the sculptures I seen of 9/11, where so called artists used the harrowing images of the jumpers set in the pose in which they were captured falling. For me, personally, and as an artist, I find that anyone who seeks to depict something as sensitive and as close to the bone as Hillsborough and 9/11 from an outsiders perspective in such a manner, is not only selfish but downright arrogant, the latter being if it's intended to be some kind of lasting memorial. Many of the most famous depictions of tragedy formed through some kind of art (like Sabre mentions the Guernica) are usually famous through some kind of accident as the artist was merely seeking some kind of personal understanding, empathy or catharsis. The work was just part of a personal body that became famous through the course of time as the artist became famous. Something like this, however, is just seeking. The artist wants attention for all the wrong reasons by chosing a tragedy like this. That's no accident and it's not art. Of course IMO.

Here's the example of the 9/11 sculpture. If the family of the poor soul made no conscent, then this is just goulish.

Brilliant post ,saves me the time to type my personal feelings, spot on Emerald (controversy simply for the sake of renown ) this macabre depiction is more akin to a scene from Silent Hill ,than of what it should portray .....     

:no
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:44 pm

as someone that lost a friend that day all i can say.............................horrific.

but

there is a place that should be made to look at it every day, in fact two place, Shefiled police staion and outside the S*n news paper.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion