Uefa to block teams with over 100mil debt

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:29 pm

Debt has to be assessed as a % of shareholder paid up capital and/or a % of trunover.

10 million debt for a club with 2 million capital is worse than 100 million for a club with 50 million capital etc.. so usual Uefa general comments that need to be more thoroughly explained before they can be understood. Probably smaller clubs who 'just' make it into CL or Uefa Cup will be hit worst!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:27 pm

I like the german model of football, no billionaire dodgy foreigner or people borrowed up to their eyeballs.

I worry that football in England will be like  a property bubble and when billionaires pull out there'll be clubs with massive debts.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Big Niall wrote:I like the german model of football, no billionaire dodgy foreigner or people borrowed up to their eyeballs.

I worry that football in England will be like  a property bubble and when billionaires pull out there'll be clubs with massive debts.

Problem is with the German model, the fans all stuck together and demanded it, there was a big movement in the mid to late 90's amongst fans to get things going, and the clubs are allowed to do a little more, especially with regards to social activities, many of which theres laws to prevent in the UK. The chances of a mass movement in England demanding change are also very, very low.

They (German clubs) are also suffering a hammering in the European media for recent actions, which have tended to massively reduce wages, making the clubs 'uncompetitive' in the Champs League. Its also made a few of them turn a profit, however. Could it be that UEFA realise the only way football will exist long-term is to go down this route?
Yossi_Benaloon

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion