Expanded World Cup - 48 teams

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:14 am

FIFA expected to approve expanded World Cup format with 16 groups of 3.

I am getting sick and tired of these moves to expand the tournaments. Euro 2016 was the most boring tournament ever and I surprised myself for not watching most of the matches. It was just water-ed down stuff.

What do you think?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:05 pm

maguskwt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 am wrote:FIFA expected to approve expanded World Cup format with 16 groups of 3.

I am getting sick and tired of these moves to expand the tournaments. Euro 2016 was the most boring tournament ever and I surprised myself for not watching most of the matches. It was just water-ed down stuff.

What do you think?

Pretty much the same as you mate, every WC you might get one or two decent teams missing out on qualification but generally there's a reason why teams fail to qualify and that's because they are cr@p.
The standard of the last few WC's hasn't been that high in the first place so to just water it down even further with another tranche of average teams who will set up to defend for 90 minutes and bore everyone sh[it]less is just unbelievable.
Personally I think FIFA have been under pressure from corporate sponsors for this to happen, in any country that qualifies  sales of booze, flags, silly hats you name it go through the roof when the WC is on so the more countries that go on a WC fuelled spending spree the better as far as corporations are concerned.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:42 am

I agree mate on Euro2016 borefest. I didn't bother with many matches. I just found it entertaining when Wales were playing.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 am

maguskwt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 am wrote:FIFA expected to approve expanded World Cup format with 16 groups of 3.

What do you think?

Evidence again that most of those running football don't have a f*cking clue !

Also heard that in the "group stages" which will consist of each team playing just two games  :p      , they are considering settling drawn matches with a penalty shootout !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:14 pm

woof woof ! » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 am wrote:

What do you think?

Evidence again that most of those running football don't have a f*cking clue !

Also heard that in the "group stages" which will consist of each team playing just two games  :p      , they are considering settling drawn matches with a penalty shootout !

So the round robin group matches, because each group consists of only 3 countries, will only have 3 matches in a group as opposed to 6 matches in a group of 4.  :wwww
I think that's what Mourinho was implying when he said expanding the tournament doesn't mean more games...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 am

More money for tv global and national rights, more fans so more tourism revenue, money... money... money.

It's completely uncalled for.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:58 am

Brilliant idea, in fact it should be expanded so every country can attend like the Olympics.
That way there will no need for qualifiers and thus less international breaks annoying the f..k out of me during the league season
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:08 pm

laza » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 am wrote:Brilliant idea, in fact it should be expanded so every country can attend like the Olympics.
That way there will no need for qualifiers and thus less international breaks annoying the f..k out of me during the league season

:laugh:

I actually like that idea !

Every national team goes to the world cup. I think there around 200/220 of them ?

No fannying about with "group stages"

Seed the teams (like players in tennis) and have every round a straight knockout.

Winning seven games should get you to the final   :buttrock

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:11 am

woof woof ! » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:08 pm wrote:
laza » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 am wrote:Brilliant idea, in fact it should be expanded so every country can attend like the Olympics.

:laugh:

I actually like that idea !

Every national team goes to the world cup. I think there around 200/220 of them ?

No fannying about with "group stages"

Seed the teams (like players in tennis) and have every round a straight knockout.

Winning seven games should get you to the final   :buttrock

:)

Yup... like that idea too...
I would add let the top 24 seeds automatically join the round of 48 so it's like a 2 stage tournament tree...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion