Rafa pleased with garcia

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:23 pm

Benitez happy with Garcia

Liverpool, Saturday September 11 2004

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez expressed his delight at his team's convincing 3-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion at Anfield on Saturday.

The Spanish manager is excited with the Reds finally being able to string together a collection of passes after some indifferent displays earlier this season.

He was also particularly impressed with new signing Luis Garcia's performance on attack.

"We played much better with very good movement in attack and Luis Garcia gave us a lot of possibilities. He is a good player," said Benitez.

"We have made a step forward and there are a lot of bigger steps to go."

"After the break we were able to counter-attack and the result was a good one for Liverpool.

"But it is just a little step forward, we win 3-0 and it is OK, but there are a lot more steps to come from us. I liked a lot of the team play but we still gave the opposition too many opportunities."

The former Valencia boss also clarified why he replaced skipper Steven Gerrard - who set the Merseyside outfit on their way to victory with the first goal.

"Steven came off because he was a little tired and it is good when you are winning well to bring on others," added Benitez.

"Steven has just played two matches for England and sometimes you have to give a player a rest. We have some big matches coming up and we need him for these games."

West Brom boss Gary Megson, who has been under intense pressure to hold onto his job before this loss, claimed the Premiership new boys were guilty of allowing the home team too much time on the ball.

"We have to learn lessons and we must not give teams so much respect in this division," said Megson.

"We also have to realise that this division is not just about passing the ball, it is about what you do when you do have possession.

"Even though they scored first I felt we could get back into it but the second just before the break took the wind out of our sails."

He was, however, happy with the contribution of the club's new £3.5million striker Robert Earnshaw.

"We decided not to throw him straight in. He had been away with Wales for 10 days, arrived at our place on Thursday and travelled the day after.

"It was a bit unfair to then throw him straight in against Liverpool at Anfield but when he did get on their were glimpses of what we want from him.

Megson did not also not gave any insight to his immediate future with The Baggies.

"I have read a lot, but none of it is emanating from me. All I can do is my job," Megson added.

"I don't know what my future is, I do not have a crystal ball, nobody does. Nothing has been said to me about my future."
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:30 pm

Rafa Benitez said Liverpool's 3-0 win over West Brom was probably their best display of the season.

The Reds controlled the match against The Baggies, and goals from Steven Gerrard, Steve Finnan and Luis Garcia confirmed the points would stay at Anfield.

Benitez says that his side is slowly coming together but Saturday's win was their best display of the campaign to date.

New singing Luis Garcia has shown some promise while Gerrard has been told to get more goals - and four already this season suggest Benitez's message is getting through.

"Perhaps it was our best display of the season because we scored three goals, had a lot of chances and played with a lot more movement," said Benitez.

"I said that Luis Garcia would be a good player for us because he is different. He understands what I want to do and he can score goals and I think he will be a good player for us.

"Gerrard is going to be an important player for us. When he starts playing the team starts playing with more confidence, and his goal got the crowd going which is also important for the players.

"We still need more time, I'm not sure how much longer because it's impossible to know, but we have seen today a better team with more balance and better movement, but it is still a small step on the way."

Steve Finnan was delighted to score his first Liverpool goal, but said the three points were far more important.

"It's been a while but it was nice to score," said Finnan. "We won the match as well which was the main thing after our last result.

"We needed that second goal and we went in at half time comfortable at 2-0 up.

"Overall it was a good performance and a good result as they were a good passing team and created a few chances."

Gerrard's opener was his second in four Premiership games and his fifth of the season overall, and he revealed that talks with the new manager have helped his goal scoring.

"I've got off to a good start," said Gerrard. "The manager spoke to me at the start of the season and said he wanted goals from midfield.

"I've sat down a few times with him since the start of the season and I'm trying to get forward at the right time and not get caught out.

"It was a comfortable win. It was nice to score early and get a second before half time and the game was virtually dead by then."
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:32 pm

what can i say gerrard an garcia ran the show garcia was great hes going to become a kop hero and heres hoping to many more good performances from him he loved being at anfield and playing for us it was written all over him :D
riise had a great game 2 hes like a new player for us what a pleasure to watch
:)
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:37 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:what can i say gerrard an garcia ran the show garcia was great hes going to become a kop hero and heres hoping to many more good performances from him he loved being at anfield and playing for us it was written all over him :D
riise had a great game 2 hes like a new player for us what a pleasure to watch
:)

Excellent comments mate, you are spot on.  You could see Garcia was proud to be playing in the famous red shirt.

Hopefully more performances like that from these players will make Gerrard see that there is no other club to play for :)
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:41 pm

cardiff reals put a bid in for 22 mill for gerrard to go there in january  :angry:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:43 pm

Yeah, i saw that on the news.  I think if he was gonna go though, he would have gone after the Euros.

I think/hope he will stay now :)
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:44 pm

I really do think that Garcia could be something special. He just seems to have that knack of seeing outside an immediate situation and reacting quicker than everyone else. You know how all the best players move when everyone else stands still. Witness a top striker reacting to a header hitting the underside of the bar and rebounding down. On the slow-mo, everyone sort of pulls a funny face and posture and remains rooted to the spot except for your Fowlers or Rushies who take two steps forward and bury it. "Anyone could've scored that" they all say but it ain't necessarily so. Takes talent and awareness and this blokes got it I think.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:48 pm

I agree with that bigmick, he seems to have two good feet too !!
Last edited by C-R on Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:02 pm

yeah..he has 2 good feet. Just look at the goal he scored. Shot with left foot & followed it with right foot for the rebound.
Last edited by The_Rock on Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:11 pm

garcia could have had a hatrick hope he stays a permanent forward because i just dont think baros is up to it in the prem think he would play better abroad no wonder raffa wernt worried about a striker he knows who we have and what he wants and thats for every player on the pitch to score he proved this at valencia the only thing is arsenal are getting bag fulls every game there for we need our strikers to start putting goals in the back of the net cisse showed some promise maybe hes trying to hard and should just play his own game glimpses of a new henry showed only time will tel.
overall Im happy with our boys performances yesterday even tho we could have scored a few more :;): destroy poorer teams like we used to make people believe that the kop swallows goals in make anfield a fortress again :)

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:17 pm

yes, somehow i have a feeling that baros will be sold next summer..... I hope i'm wrong though because baros has the potential to become a great striker.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:49 pm

I honestly think that for this season at least, what Arsenal are up to is not really our concern. They are on a bit of a different level at the mo' and probably trying to finish above the mancs is more realistic. Even this 'though will be really tough in rafa's first season.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:02 pm

yes...i think we should be looking to finish at least 3rd and win a couple of cups (ie...champions cup, FA cup). I would pretty much mortgage my house on arsenal winning the league now..... They are just too awsome at the moment. They seem to play at cruise control & when they are in trouble they hit the top gear instantly.

It will take time for us to come to their level.

As for the scums, aren't they the luckiest team ever...another injury time handball goal.... :angry:
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion