British government and premier league strenght - Important factor?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:43 pm

A spanish journo at Marca thinks that the pound losing value since 2005 and some british government decissions like a recent one of increasing the taxes for those who earn more than 150K pounds, might affect the appeal of the premier league the following seasons.

He makes this simple calculation comparisons

Año 2005
1.000.000 libras = 1.500.000 €
1.500.000 € x 40% (IRPF) = 600.000 €
1.000.000 libras brutas = 900.000 € netos

Año 2010 (suponiendo que la cotización de la libra se mantenga en torno al 1,15 actual)
1.000.000 libras = 1.150.000 €
1.150.000 € x 50% (IRPF) = 575.000 €
1.000.000 libras brutas = 575.000 € netos

That is, in 2005 a Million Pounds ere 1.5M € and now 1.15 € which is a noticeable difference.

Considering the new 50% tax percentage in 2005 for the same 1M pounds a foreign player would earn 900.000 € at the end, and 575.000 € now.

I think Arshavin complained about it not a while ago.

Do you think this might pose a threat to the Premier League?

For those who understand about economy, do you expect the pound recovering the value it used to have in the following years?

Do you agree as a citizen the government increasing the taxes of the rich people?

And a Euro question: Do you feel like important to keep the pound as the national count? if so, why? I think it can't be about losing identity, because French and Spanish also have some history and saying goodbye to the old coin wasn't a drama. It has been afterwards because it's common talk in my country that since the euro things are more expensive, but back then it wasn't a problem.

Thank you
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 am

Do you think this might pose a threat to the Premier League?

No. The premier league, regardless of tax payments, offer such ludicrous payments to players they will never lose out. With players you have to consider their contract, which includes bonuses. Then sponsors. The trainers they wear, the liquids they drink, the hair gel they use. So no, the opportunities for making money are almost endless.

For those who understand about economy, do you expect the pound recovering the value it used to have in the following years?

Im no expert but I can see what others see, and understand why our food prices have risen. As things stand, the commodities we pay for have hit a daft price and yet we are still paying for them. The pound will be gone before long as the prices here now are here to stay. The euro would mean we have to adapt our prices business wise to the rest of europe. As long as the pound existed a couple of years back, the british public would continue to pay over the odds for things like cars, houses and food. Business was booming, but then people became wise to spending in britain compared to spending abroad. And since then, businesses have gone bust and the pound has dropped in value.

Do you agree as a citizen the government increasing the taxes of the rich people?

Yes and No. I agree to taxing the rich, as they have money to give, but you have to determine what makes a rich man(woman). I would also go for taxing people like Lewis Hamilton. And the rules would be simple. This country helped give you the life you have now. If you dont pay taxes towards this country then quite simply, your banned. You cannot enter britain. So many people from britain makes millions but refuse to pay taxes here and would rather take there money elsewhere to save them money. Fine do that, but dont call yourself a brit. Take what you can and then run, pretty close to a thief id say.

And a Euro question: Do you feel like important to keep the pound as the national count? if so, why? I think it can't be about losing identity, because French and Spanish also have some history and saying goodbye to the old coin wasn't a drama. It has been afterwards because it's common talk in my country that since the euro things are more expensive, but back then it wasn't a problem.

No and greed. Its not about national identity. Ask any brit what they include on their CV. If they are scottish, they will have put, scottish, if they are Irish, they have put Irish, if they are Welsh, a majority would have put Welsh but if you are English and put English, you will be damned and have to change it to British. Its not about identity, its about money. England is where a majority of the businesses are, and our capital, London. It doesnt pay to be english, but british, hell that helps a lot.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:11 am

I want the pound to stay. I don't want the euro and start eating croissants... I want my £ and pence... it is about pride, identity, patriotism, everything...

'm very proud of my english heritage, and my scottish heritage, I disagree if you put english on a cv you are damned. Times are a changing, flags are flying.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:41 am

dawson99 wrote:I disagree if you put english on a cv you are damned. Times are a changing, flags are flying.

Yeah, Damned was a strong word to use, I should have put "frowned upon". But I wont change the belief in which I put my point across as it is fact. When I was on a new deal scheme, I got into a friendship with a scottish guy call Ian, from Edinburgh.

The project of the day was to put up templates for cover letters and create new CV's. Ian put on his Nationality: Scottish. And got pulled up for putting down Pool as his hobby. "Do you like playing or watching pool?", I put as my Nationality: English. I got pulled up on that, I had to put British. When I asked why I couldnt put English yet Ian could put Scottish, I was told my CV,by potential employers, would be thrown in the bin as it is in "poor taste".
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion