Barton next target

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:19 pm

ok be a good prospect for the future but aint we gettin to many midfielders?? Wouldnt mind us chasing his team mate as in SWP because we are a striker or 2 short :cool:  ???

News 

Joey next Benitez target Aug 20 2004

RAFAEL BENITEZ will sign two more Spaniards today - and then turn his attention to the capture of Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton.

Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia are both awaiting the results of medicals before penning deals with a combined value of £16.7m.

Neither player will be registered in time to face Manchester City at Anfield tomorrow.

Having returned to Spain to make his third and fourth major signings of the summer, Benitez is looking closer to home for his next purchase.

Liverpool have a definite interest in bringing youngster Barton (pictured) to the club. Barton was close to signing last season when Gerard Houllier was manager.

The deal was shelved, but Rafael Benitez's scouts have watched the 21-year-old closely and the Huyton-born central midfielder is seen as a bargain with a bright future.

If the Reds squad is trimmed further, with the likes of Steve Finnan and Salif Diao seen as potential departures, Liverpool will move quickly to snap up Barton for a reasonable fee, possibly as low as £1m.

An alternative option is to wait until next January. Barton has just 11 months left on his current contract and could sign a pre-contract agreement with Liverpool on January 1.

City would rather cash in now than lose Barton on a free Bosman transfer and the player is also anxious to join the Reds as soon as possible.

Until more players depart Anfield, the youngster - who is part of the City squad travelling to Anfield tomorrow - will have to be patient.

After the dramatic departure of Michael Owen last weekend, Benitez finally had cause to celebrate today as Xabi Alonso prepared to put pen to paper on a five year contract.

With a £6m fee agreed with Barcelona, Luis Garcia is also due on Merseyside today to complete the formalities of his move.

The Reds are also giving a week's trial to young Luton keeper Dean Brill as Benitez searches for more cover for Jerzy Dudek and Chris Kirkland.

Bolton loanee El-Hadji Diouf won't be eligible to play against Liverpool next week under the terms of his deal
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:24 pm

A pre contract would be a result as if he was in the club he would have probably gone on loan

Weve got a young squad and some decent youngsters coming through or on loan

Is this right place right time for Benitez or more likely hes building for now and the future
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:28 pm

The Barton rumours resurface.

Rumour has it that Gerrard has leaned on Parry all year to sign Barton, and Benitez is probably checking him out after hearing a lot of talk about Joey around Melwood, particularly from Gerrard and from Parry, and is interested merely due to the amount of support Barton has at the club.

On the other hand a number of sources at the club have stated their amazement of Benitez' knowledge of the English game and apparently Benitez is aware of Barton (as well as almost every other Premiership footballer) as far back as his Valencia days.

I read an interview with Ritchie Partridge a week or two ago who said that he spoke to Benitez about his future a few days after Benitez arrived at Anfield. Partridge claimed that before he met Benitez he was expecting the Spaniard not to have a clue about who the hell he was, and yet when he sat down with Benitez Partridge claims that the manager knew every single detail about him, his injury history and spell at Coventry included.

Rick Parry also stated that he was amazed by Benitez' acute knowledge of the club during the secret negotiations back in May, apparently Benitez was able to speak in debt about little known academy players.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Scottbot » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:35 pm

Benitez certainly seems to be very meticulous. I didn't think we would hear anymore about Barton once GH was given the boot. Can't say i have seen much of the lad play. A mate of mine is a season ticket holder at City and he reckons the kid has a bright future. I know the City fans love im as he was one of the few to show a bit of heart last season. Anyone seen much of Barton in action?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:41 pm

Everyday i read about RB, he impresses me. Glad we got him instead of mourinho.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:42 pm

Yer i seen him on sky a  few times last season hes a good player and he would love to play for us.
Good post JBG well Raffas mrs did say he eats sleeps and drinks football and he probably weighed all his options up on coming to us I also think hes watched the youth videos to see what quality we have there as he gave whitbread potter a chance in usa brought warnock on on saturday houllier would never have gave these a chance he would just have shipped them out on loan I think we should get mellor back aswell an put him on a diet :;):
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:20 pm

Even if Mellor was slimmer it still wouldn't make him a better finisher! :p
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:59 pm

i saw this post and thought (just for a second) it meant Warren Barton!  :oh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:54 pm

Rafa did mention that he was going to sign another player so this may be true.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:57 pm

Not room for more players in midfield. Especially not lousy second rate man city players. Now Rafa need to put the team together. 5 new players is enough.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:05 am

If this report is true and we could get him for as low as 1m, or even 2-3, then for certain we should.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jordantoh » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:13 am

i think 1million for Barton is a great deal... he is an good local player who gives his all on the field and has good battling quality... a ball winner in the center and good passing abilities... i have no doubt about his potential... He was in the under-21 squad for england... so that certainly shows his quality...

if he signs.. that certainly will spell the end of a certain Senegal player(with long curly hair)... rite :laugh:
jordantoh

Postby The_Rock » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:13 am

1 million is a great deal for barton. We need local players in the team and he is one of the best young defensive midfielder in the league.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:31 pm

But not even good enough for city. Barton is a waste of space. Relegation is what you will get with fat lazy ******.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion