Benitez keen on barton - Is he good enough?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:52 am

Benitez keen on Barton

Aug 18 2004, by Andy Hunter, Daily Post

LIVERPOOL manager Rafael Benitez is considering a cut-price move for Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton. Huyton-born Barton, (left), who is in the final year of his City contract, was linked with a move to Anfield under Gerard Houllier last season. And despite the managerial change, Liverpool's interest in the England under-21 international remains strong with the 21-year-old discussed at boardroom level.

Barton, who shares the same agent as close friend Steven Gerrard, would relish a move to Liverpool but Anfield officials are reluctant to meet City's £3million valuation. However, despite the expected arrival of Xabi Alonso, the signing of Antonio Nunez and the possible capture of Luis Garcia, Benitez - who has received scouting reports and videos of the midfielder - is considering a move if the price lowers.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:00 am

A good player and well worth it if we can get hold of him

Benitez is slowly building his squad Im trying not to get too carried away
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crowfucious » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:05 am

It would be good to bring in a class Englishman especially a scouser.
crowfucious

Postby XSD » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:23 pm

For a good price then for sure. Benitez has been criticized for selling scousers, so this would balance that somewhat. Would be a great squad member.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:30 pm

I dont understand this criticised for selling scousers and he has only been here a few weeks  ???

Murphy although I liked him to be honest wasnt up to the level we want to go to and Owen was the one who instigated the move

He has also given opportunities to the youngsters in the champions league

Carragher is 100% committed and a must have in a team but not the classiest of players

Gerrard is pure class mind you

Again the harsh truth is what have those "scousers" achieved for the club in the last two seasons  ???

The other point is the only scousers are Gerrard and Carragher

Its not nice to see players leave but what do you want success or an old school club
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:09 pm

If you are addressing me, then I may point out I am not criticizing him on this, just stating the fact that other people are.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:15 pm

I think getting Barton would be a positive move for depth purposes. With Hamann only have one year left on his contract, Barton would be an upgrade at the bench over the likes of Biscan and Diao. But as many of you had pointed out, it all depends on the price.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Gareth G » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:18 pm

He would be a good squad player, its good to see hes looking at English players too.

The only thing is, Barton would have to settle for a place on the bench.

If the price is right, i'd say snap him up.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby charwell » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:19 pm

Don't want to be negative but I have to say he looks very ordinary and has a bad temper too. All mouth and no trousers spring to mind.
charwell

Postby supersub » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:21 pm

A more realistic price and Barton would be a decent acquisition to the squad.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:21 pm

Its not aimed at you XSD

There are people harking on about the selling of Murphy and Owen but we ahve to face facts that we have not done the business on the field.

I am however impressed with the blooding of youngsters and the attitude of Benitez

For everyone harking on about the scouse clique what
Gerrard will now be playing with an equal
Carragher ok no great player but what an example
Murphy I liked you but sorry mate just not quite good enough
Owen If you dont want to be here then tara

Under Benitez two youngsters in the CL

I think you ll find a new scouse clique in a few years but ones who are coming into a winning team
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieRed » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:23 pm

I believe that signing him for 3 mil or whatever is like signing Gerrard for that much.. Gerrard is great mates with him and has said he would love Barton at Liverpool with him.. seeing he has lost two good friends in Owen and Murphy signing Barton would prob. make him feel a bit more secure and boost his morale towards the club
AussieRed

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:23 pm

benitez knows what he's doing. during his first season at valencia he booted out mendieta, kily gonzalez and salva and they won the league. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:24 pm

tell him to play out his final yr at city then get him on Bosman and save the club a couple of million quid (a lot of money in my mind), Assuming Hamann goes at end of season, then he can get his chance, if he doesn't work out, we can sell him for a profit.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:58 pm

Big Niall wrote:tell him to play out his final yr at city then get him on Bosman and save the club a couple of million quid (a lot of money in my mind), Assuming Hamann goes at end of season, then he can get his chance, if he doesn't work out, we can sell him for a profit.

Good point get another years 1st team footbal at City. although Liverpool could do to City what Real did to us, put in a low offer with a take it or leave it attitude as we can wait till the end of the season for him.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion