The rumour thread. - Time for a change maybe?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:32 pm

I actually think that the transfer rumour thread has run its course TBH. It's presence simply encourages people to copy and paste things off various silly websites, knowing full well that the fact that it is generally utter nonsense gets lost in a quagmire of equally banal observations. Scroll through a page or two and like with the Nicholas Bendtner "rumour" you'll invariably get two posters chopping and pasting the same article about the same player.

In days gone by, posters such as the Welsh Wizard would come on and profess to have inside knowledge of the inner workings at Melwood. Invariably, such information was gleaned from his Uncle Albert who was seemingly employed to perform a veritable raft of DIY duties around both Anfield and the training ground. During the course of his duties (usually whilst completing the exterior painting section of his portfolio for some reason which I could never quite fathom) he would unearth various snippets of gossip so hot they positively melted the computer screen when you read them.

Seasoned campaigners around these parts will recall that unfortunately all the said snippets, overheard whispers and highly confidential top secret paperwork which he managed to grab a quick gander at turned out to be utterly baseless in factual terms, in any sense whatsoever. In actual fact, it wouldn't be being overly dismissive to come to the conclusion that they were all, without any exception whatsoever, total sh!t.

That's not really the point though. At least you could tell him he was talking utter b0ll0cks (as some esteemed ex members memorably did) and it was a bit of a laugh. It could also be argued that just occasionally, someones next door neighbours best mate does actually know someone who services Steven Gerrards car, and sometimes someone does get a little belter of news.

Not really the same as trawling though various websites, posting up a load of garbage and then using the "don't shoot the messenger" line. 147 pages is too much. It's time IMHO to let people start their own thread if they've heard something. That's after all what a rumour is, not some second hand internet nonsense.

No doubt if Phil was still here, he would already have started a "Toffeehaters Terrible....." thread. It would have been funny if he'd done it too.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:41 pm

can't say i agree with you there mick. the rumour thread was created with just the intention of avoiding server meltdown as several hundred new threads are created daily with each little rumour. its best left as it is IMO, most of us see it (i think) as a bit of a diversion. the alternative is just to replace it with a sticky link to newsnow or goal.com or something of that ilk.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:56 pm

Nothing wrong with the thread , although Toffeehaters recent contributions are bordering on "Spam" that issue will be addressed.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:07 pm

I agree that Toffeehater does overdo it a bit,there is no need to copy and paste everything you see when its been proven season after season that 99% of rumours are nonsense!
Im not sure about Micks idea though,the concept is a good plan but posters wont stick to that.

To me it would just mean way to many threads based on nothing!
At least if theres a rumour thread all the sh'ite is in one place and toffehater has a place revel in bullsh'it!
Only joking BTW toffeehater i know ya mean well! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:32 pm

Personally, I think Toffeehater should be found, taken out, and shot with balls of his own :censored: !
Now, those of you who believe that everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion, should have the right to speak their mind etc.....well, you're wrong.
All those found guilty of excessive use of Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V, deserve to have both hands ripped off by being cuffed to an accelerating Lada (that way it'll be slower....and hurt more.....)

:p

On a serious note, enough of the rubbish rumour mill - unless it can be substantiated, keep it for a Sat night on top of a load o' pints ! Please....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:12 pm

All rumours, regardless of credibility, in one big thread works well, IMO.  A different thread for every rumour would be tedious in the extreme.  As it stands, I only have one nonsense thread to ignore rather than 25! :D  I do think that those with a penchant for cut and pasting paper talk reagrding transfer rumours should at least make sure that said rumour has not already been posted by someone else.  There's no need to post multiple versions of the same rumour unless there is substantially different information to be added.  If not, a simple "these sources have printed the same rumour" followed by the links should suffice, right? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:16 pm

if it's not broke, don't fix it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:05 pm

So, here goes the quality rumours, and in the other one the low quality rumours.

Well, I think this thread will have less pages :D However, I think Bigmick's new thread was a funny remark on nowadays rumour posts, and by the way, he has made a little tribute to Phil, which is nice.

One thing I'd like to know though is what kind of rumours to include. Only the Liverpool related ones? I never took seriously the rumour mill, and since half the liga players are linked to Liverpool I sometimes post too much about some rumours, despite not having a serious suspicion that they might end up here.

I for instance, post in the rumour mill about Alves signing for Barcelona, to make my rumour loving mates know he's not available any more.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Sabs, don't think Mick meant this to be an ongoing thread. Just a passing and temporary comment on the state of the established thread .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 pm

but basically mick, i think what we're all saying is that you can stick your stupid idea up your erse

:D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:37 pm

Well im glad that 99% of the rumours are bullshit have yers seen the kip of some of the players weve been linked with   :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:47 pm

Ciggy wrote:Well im glad that 99% of the rumours are bullshit have yers seen the kip of some of the players weve been linked with   :glare:

99% we're b'ullshit  :wwww 

I believed them all   :sniffle

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:49 pm

woof woof ! wrote:99% we're b'ullshit  :wwww 

I believed them all   :sniffle

:cool:  Cant wait for next season Kenwin Jones, James milner and Stewart Downing  Wow  :buttrock

:glare:  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:51 pm

I think Big Mick's just pining for a little Welsh Wizardry.  His rumours were clear and utter cack but the fella had some style in his delivery and his earnestness was always good for a laugh. :D

Must say I can only manage to skim the existing thread at most.  If there's any substance to the rumour, the stories linking him to us will become more and more credible and the player in question eventually gets his own thread.  That's when I bother paying attention.  Boring it may be, but it saves me from getting too geed up about signing the likes of Villa or too despondent about chasing the likes of Milner. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:07 pm

stmichael wrote:if it's not broke, don't fix it.

spot on

To which I would add...... if you don't like a thread don't read it!
account deleted by request

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill