Wonder who it is? - Senior player already signed.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Reg wrote:Strange that both Meeeeelan clubs are rebuilding their squads this summer and neither are interested in Mancini. ??

I read he's got a year left on his contract but is looking to buy it out. Perhaps he's signaled he wants to leave Italy ? .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:51 pm

Judge wrote:
Owzat wrote:
Judge wrote:my immediate shopping list, that i feel are getable:

Micah Richards
Aaron Lennon

Santa Cruz or
Thierry Henry

Richards yes, Lemon no.

Santa Cruz yes, Henry no.

I'm sure we had this debate a week or so ago, concluding Lemon was no better than our very own lemon (Pennant) I know it was concluded Bentley is much better, can't remember who the fourth name thrown in the hat was.

And Santa Cruz is one player the top clubs should be wanting, top marks to Hughes for that steal (GBJH, £3.5m for Santa Cruz is the true definition of a steal, NOT £15m for Crouch) My main concern is Hughes isn't going to like Liverpool of all clubs trying to steal Bentley and Santa Cruz from him. We might prise one out of his hands, but I doubt we'd get both without a foo king great carrot - and I don't mean Riise!

If I were playing a footy management game right now, with our current squad and £25m to spend then I'd be shortlisting Richards, Bentley, Santa Cruz and Berbatov - the latter simply because I'd try and somehow generate the funds to land him. I'd then be contemplating a LB and LM, maybe get Warnock back (another rover) To fund that little lot I'd be looking to offload Riise, Pennant, Crouch and assessing our younger players as cover for any others who could be spare including Voronin, Crouch and maybe even Hyypia. If I had to sacrifice a player I'd like to keep in order to afford a player I'd badly want then so be it, no room for sentimen in football

But even if we only managed two from Richards, Bentley, Santa Cruz and Berbatov I'd be happy we'd improved the squad, even if it cost 3-5 squad players to raise the extra doh

lennon keeps the ball better than our pennant, imo.

and i feel is more technically gifted, with more pace and a better attitude

Lennon would not be a massive improvement on Pennant, like buying a player on PES because he scores 1 (out of 99) more in every department.

And note that Pennant hasn't played for England, Lemon is not in the picture at the moment. Bentley is............
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1982 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Bentley is class but is the price he's going to cost a bit much, he'll probs cost around the £15m mark,

Could get Mancini for £4m and Maxi Rodriguez on a free, they would be two class wide players who'd strenghten our lineup/squad.

Babel could be used more as a forward then and we could spend big on a player in the Aimar mould and a fullback.
LFC1982

Postby dawson99 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:40 pm

shouldnt look at who costs what, just look at who will play best for liverpool.

no point saying 4 million is a good price if the guy is useless and we get rid in a season. got to be careful on who we buy this summer. ie - buy a player and actually keep him for a bit
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Seano Kop » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:45 pm

RAUL!!!!!!!!
Seano Kop

Postby RedRoots » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:34 pm

dawson99 wrote:shouldnt look at who costs what, just look at who will play best for liverpool.

no point saying 4 million is a good price if the guy is useless and we get rid in a season. got to be careful on who we buy this summer. ie - buy a player and actually keep him for a bit

I'd hardly call Mancini useless.
RedRoots

Postby dawson99 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:38 pm

RedRoots wrote:
dawson99 wrote:shouldnt look at who costs what, just look at who will play best for liverpool.

I'd hardly call Mancini useless.

if hes gonna be an asset then get him right away, if hes a risk then we got enough of those fringe not sure players already, thats all im saying.

a great saying comes to mind
"you can't eat value"
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:40 pm

Right now I dont give a tommy-tit who it is because they wont be playing tonight.  Tomorrow is another day.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Well theoretically every time you sign a player you're taking a risk, left wing is always a difficult position to fill and from what i've seen of Mancini he looks exactly like the type of player we need there and better still if we got him for 4 million, the only thing i'd be worried about is how he'd adapt to the premiership and i suppose that'd be the biggest risk.
RedRoots

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Seano Kop wrote:RAUL!!!!!!!!

Sabre shivers.

¡No!

Raul won't triumph in Liverpool, and you can quote me on that.  :D

He's a good goal poacher, has that instinct to be in the proper place IF you play him upfront. Outside the box this days he's not dangerous, and his work ratio makes him incompatible to play with Torres. He works next to zero.

I like Raul. I really do, but he'd be a luxury if we cannot play him as first eleven option week in week out. And to play 2 strikers, and provided we play Torres, Raul is a too weak option, work wise.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Sabre wrote:
Seano Kop wrote:RAUL!!!!!!!!

Sabre shivers.

¡No!

Raul won't triumph in Liverpool, and you can quote me on that.  :D

He's a good goal poacher, has that instinct to be in the proper place IF you play him upfront. Outside the box this days he's not dangerous, and his work ratio makes him incompatible to play with Torres. He works next to zero.

I like Raul. I really do, but he'd be a luxury if we cannot play him as first eleven option week in week out. And to play 2 strikers, and provided we play Torres, Raul is a too weak option, work wise.

YES! Buy him Rafa, Sabre saying he wont be good enough :D

just kidding with you Sabre

If you told me that Liverpool are interested in buying raul 7 years ago then I would take him, brilliant penalty box type of striker, right now he is just past his best however he would do better than voronin.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:12 pm

There's no point buying the wrong player at the 'right price' but if the right player costs too much then you have to look elsewhere. Of the few games I've seen Mancini play this season I've not been impressed, some will say you can't go wrong at £4m, but surely it's better to buy a proven player at £12m than 3 gambles at £4m each? Playing footy management games you can buy lots of theoretical bargains, get carried away and you end up with a big squad of modest quality.

The players we should be looking at should not be cheap. We've got enough players bought at mid-price, we need more Torres' and Mascherano's. Is it any great coincidence the champions of the past four years have a plethora of £15m+ players?

£15m+

Chelsea (8) : Shevchenko, Essien, Drogba, Cashley?, Makelele, Wright-Phillips, Carvalho, Anelka
Man Utd (5) : Rooney, Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Carrick, Anderson
Liverpool (2) : Torres, Mascherano

Not a great many cr ap players in there, maybe Shove-penny and Cashley were over-priced, but basically only Arsenal have ever mastered the budget style Premiership title. Unfortunately for the goners their manager then dismantled the invincibles until they were more invisible than invincible.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri May 02, 2008 12:24 pm

Liverpool are understood to have launched their bid to sign Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry by tabling an initial £10million offer.

The Reds are believed to have formally contacted Villa yesterday with their bid for the England midfielder.

There has been speculation for the past fortnight that 27-year-old Barry has emerged as one of Rafael Benitez's major summer transfer tasrgets.

It remains to be seen whether Villa manager Martin O'Neill will accept the bid for Barry who has two years to run of his current contract.

But Benitez wants Barry to form a partnership with his England colleague and close friend Steven Gerrard.

Barry, who celebrates the 10th anniversary of making his Villa debut next week, has made no secret of his desire to play Champions League football.

He is on more than £40,000 a week at Villa and could come close to doubling that if he moved to Anfield or Chelsea who have also been linked with the player.

But it the desire to win trophies that is uppermost in Barry's mind at this stage of his career.

The former Brighton trainee has already expressed a desire to hold talks with Villa manager Martin O'Neill to assess what his transfer plans are for the 2008-2009 campaign.

Villa are challenging strongly for a UEFA Cup spot but Barry wants to see whether Villa are in a position to move to the next level.

O'Neill pulled off a masterstroke in persuading Barry to sign a new four-year deal when he took charge of Villa in the summer of 2006.

But he may find it harder to persuade Barry to sign a new contract and to convince him to stay with the midlands club.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sun May 04, 2008 1:19 am

Owzat wrote:There's no point buying the wrong player at the 'right price' but if the right player costs too much then you have to look elsewhere. Of the few games I've seen Mancini play this season I've not been impressed, some will say you can't go wrong at £4m, but surely it's better to buy a proven player at £12m than 3 gambles at £4m each? Playing footy management games you can buy lots of theoretical bargains, get carried away and you end up with a big squad of modest quality.

The players we should be looking at should not be cheap. We've got enough players bought at mid-price, we need more Torres' and Mascherano's. Is it any great coincidence the champions of the past four years have a plethora of £15m+ players?

£15m+

Chelsea (8) : Shevchenko, Essien, Drogba, Cashley?, Makelele, Wright-Phillips, Carvalho, Anelka

Not a great many cr ap players in there, maybe Shove-penny and Cashley were over-priced, but basically only Arsenal have ever mastered the budget style Premiership title. Unfortunately for the goners their manager then dismantled the invincibles until they were more invisible than invincible.

nani cost more then 15million didnt he?
and tevez will cost more surely?
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Sun May 04, 2008 1:20 am

Owzat wrote:There's no point buying the wrong player at the 'right price' but if the right player costs too much then you have to look elsewhere. Of the few games I've seen Mancini play this season I've not been impressed, some will say you can't go wrong at £4m, but surely it's better to buy a proven player at £12m than 3 gambles at £4m each? Playing footy management games you can buy lots of theoretical bargains, get carried away and you end up with a big squad of modest quality.

£15m+

nani cost more then 15million didnt he?
and tevez will cost more surely?
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion