Wonder who it is? - Senior player already signed.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:51 pm

successful bosmans...second coming of Fowler, Babbel (already mentioned) some (not me) would argue for Aurellio, Gary McAllister of course, Jari Litmanen?
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Number 9 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:57 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:successful bosmans...second coming of Fowler, Babbel (already mentioned) some (not me) would argue for Aurellio, Gary McAllister of course, Jari Litmanen?

Talking of Yari Litmanen,i liked him! But anyway
Fulham got him as we know,has'nt played a game as far as i know.He was due to start yesterday but could'nt!
Reason? He got hit on the EAR by the ball in training! :laugh:  :laugh:

Made me laugh anyway...the EAR!!

Gary Mac was awsome btw!! :buttrock  :bowdown
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:08 am

Number 9 wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:successful bosmans...second coming of Fowler, Babbel (already mentioned) some (not me) would argue for Aurellio, Gary McAllister of course, Jari Litmanen?

Talking of Yari Litmanen,i liked him! But anyway
Fulham got him as we know,has'nt played a game as far as i know.He was due to start yesterday but could'nt!
Reason? He got hit on the EAR by the ball in training! :laugh:  :laugh:

Jari was good for us, considering his age and the fact he was free. If what you say is true then I see why Fulham got him. Hodgson is using him as a target to see if his forwards can hit him on the ear to improve their aim. It obviously worked as they won.

:laugh:
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Kukilon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:49 am

Haha Jari Litmanen is always mixed up in freak accidents. Last couple of years he has been sidelined by "real" football injuries and just about when he was ready to play for Malmö he falls down a stair while being drunk and breaks his leg. Another time the sport director opens and bottle of champagne and cork hits Jari in the eye sidelining him for a few weeks. :D

This is just between 2005-2007 and he has had a lot of freak accidents.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:26 am

Torres25 wrote:Whys every1 bitchin about this Degen its not like hes eating into r transfer budget......hes free & i wouldnt be suprised if he ended up on less then finnan who i believe will leave in the summer

so weve basically replaced a steady eddie who is 31-2? with a similar player who is 25..so whats the problem

QUALITY is the issue, getting an unknown quality squad player for nothing is not better than signing a quality international for say £7m-£10m. You don't get trophies for not spending money, often you just end up increasing your squad size and wages for no real gain on the pitch. Voronin cost us nothing, I'd rather have paid whatever Pompey paid for Defoe or signed someone with a little more quality.

As for Bosmans that have proven worthwhile, you could add Fowler who was very unlucky to be discarded and also Ballack at Chelsea. Clubs aren't going to often let quality go for nothing, sometimes you will get lucky but not often. £10m for Lahm or Bosman for Degen, I think I'd take my chances with Lahm.

But at the end of the day it is about signing the right players not the fee. I think Rafa has bought a few too many players at 'right price' s and not enough right players. We don't want to get into the mentality of not wanting to spend say £30m on a striker or £15m on a winger or £10m on a full-back, if the player is right then only ridiculous fees should put us off.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:27 am

destro wrote:
bigmick wrote:He doesn't score goals for a full back,

:oh: Hes prolific Mick, 6 goals in 153 games  :p he is just what we need.

Seriously though I am not reading to much in to what fans are saying, he is leaving them on a free so they are hardly going to be singing his praises, I cant think of any Bosman players who have impressed where ever they ended up ( one for the stats people  :D ). I will at least give him chance to play before I pass verdict on him.

Wingers need to score some goals, full-backs don't need to. He should be chipping in with the odd goal and a few assists, but goalscoring full-backs aren't what we need
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:56 am

Owzat wrote:Wingers need to score some goals, full-backs don't need to. He should be chipping in with the odd goal and a few assists, but goalscoring full-backs aren't what we need

To be fair there are very few full-backs who have scored regularly, Stuart pearce being about the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

My point wasn't really that we needed a goalscoring full-back (although obviously we wouldn't say no) but more of the things we can safely deduce about the bloke by looking at his record, without actually seeing him play. We can deduce from his record that he hasn't been bought for his goalscoring prowess, nor for his experience of playing for a top team or indeed for playing in a top league. Looking at the number of appearances he has made and his age, he hasn't been a first team regular all his career either, and judging from the reaction of the fans of the club he is leaving, he would obviously need to show form some way ahead of what he has shown so far in his career to become a first-team fixture at a club like Liverpool.

He wouldn't be the first bloke that was simply a good spot by the manager, and needless to say we all hope he is. Realistically though, he looks like an "options and possibilities" player and as such I think people are justified in being a bit underwhelmed by his capture.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:33 am

my immediate shopping list, that i feel are getable:

Micah Richards
Aaron Lennon

Santa Cruz or
Thierry Henry
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:05 pm

bigmick wrote:To be fair there are very few full-backs who have scored regularly, Stuart pearce being about the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

we've had a few goalscoring full backs in our time mick, Chris Lawler, Phil Neal, Steve Nicol chipped in with a few, Rob Jones  :p Markus Babbel and even Riise has scored a few in the right end.

Other sides have also had them, Dennis Irwin being one of the best full backs I've ever seen for United. Pearce like you said. Roberto Carlos. Joleon Lescott. David Unsowrth.

Now most of these usually took penalties, free kicks or both. But I don't feel it's priority to get a goal scoring full back, as long as the attacking players do their job. I'd prefer we got a full back who can get up and down the flank, can cross but someone who isn't affraid to throw his body on the line as well.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:12 pm

I think we should blow our whole wad on Kaka, a snip at £55million :D
account deleted by request

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:17 pm

s@int wrote:I think we should blow our whole wad on Kaka, a snip at £55million :D

offer them degen in part exchange  :D
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Judge » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:41 pm

kaka is spanish for shit i think
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:09 pm

I don't know much about this Degen guy, but I do know that a month or even two months ago, Celtic were really trying hard to bring him to Scotland.  At the time he said he had no interest in playing in Scotland but was talking to English clubs.

It's possible that Rafa had this transfer sewn up a long time ago.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:12 pm

Anything associated with Chelsea FC makes me sick, but I would really appreciate Robben in the club.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Judge » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:16 pm

SundanceKid wrote:Anything associated with Chelsea FC makes me sick, but I would really appreciate Robben in the club.

no fucking way
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion